Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Swapping 19” factory rims for 19” 3rd-party rims

SanJoseYdriver

Aug 25, 2021
San Jose, CA

I am expecting my MYLR next month. I ordered it with 19” wheels because I liked the ride, but I VERY MUCH prefer the look and design of the 20” black Tesla rims. I am contemplating switching out my factory aluminum rims for 19” black Tsportline rims that copy the design of Tesla 20” black rims. Has anyone done this? Are their issues installing the factory tires on the Tsportline rims? Is there a market for the original equipment rims?

Jul 25, 2021
Los Angeles
I just got a MY with 19" wheels. I am also thinking about swapping them out for the Tsportline 19" TSV wheels(the ones that looks like induction). There should be no issues since they are the same size as the Geminis. You can even use the factory tires on them.

Cares

Jul 23, 2018
Orange County, CA
I just bought the same tires and picked them up at their warehouse in Downey (save $175 shipping) while still waiting for MYP to come. I'm going to pop them off immediately when I get home and list them for sale.

SDM44

Aug 9, 2019
Los Angeles
Tires are swappable between any wheel brand out there. Just make sure you're getting the correct wheel width that fits the existing tire, and also make sure the offset of the aftermarket wheels will properly fit onto your car.

Also if you're going that route, by getting new rims to swap out the Gemini wheels, then also reuse the existing BT TPMS sensors on the new wheels, as only those will work on the Model Y. Then when you're all said & done, you'll have a set of Gemini rims & caps that you can get rid of or hang onto.

Cares

Jul 23, 2018
Orange County, CA
I desperately wanted Martian 19s but they were out of stock so I went with what's available now and that's TSportline TSV 19s. I like how light the Martians are...c'est la vie.

DayTrippin

Apr 30, 2021
Park Cities
i heard they werent as light as advertised...
They are pretty close. My Geminis weighed about 30 pounds without tires and my Martians were just under 21 on my scales. I not sure what the "exact" difference is but even the tire guy remarked how much lighter the Martians were than the Geminis.

I love how the Martian looks on the car in the gunmetal color on my car. Not so contrasty as a white/black storm trooper look and a bit more sophisticated.

Funkyjuju

May 20, 2021
Portland, Oregon
They are pretty close. My Geminis weighed about 30 pounds without tires and my Martians were just under 21 on my scales. I not sure what the "exact" difference is but even the tire guy remarked how much lighter the Martians were than the Geminis.

I love how the Martian looks on the car in the gunmetal color on my car. Not so contrasty as a white/black storm trooper look and a bit more sophisticated.
I just got my white MYLR with Geminis and have been looking at Martian wheels. Could we see a picture of your car with the gunmetal Martians?

DayTrippin

Apr 30, 2021
Park Cities
Here are some pics. The car is a little dirty from all the rain and road grime but it will give you an idea of how they look on my white/black MY with the tow hitch on.

IMG_1691.jpg
IMG_1692.jpg
IMG_1693.jpg

Products we're discussing on TMC...

About Us

Formed in 2006, Tesla Motors Club (TMC) was the first independent online Tesla community. Today it remains the largest and most dynamic community of Tesla enthusiasts. Learn more.

Do you value your experience at TMC? Consider becoming a Supporting Member of Tesla Motors Club. As a thank you for your contribution, you'll get nearly no ads in the Community and Groups sections. Additional perks are available depending on the level of contribution. Please visit the Account Upgrades page for more details.

SUPPORT TMC