Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Swapping 21" to 19" Wheels

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I've got some 19" wheels that came with the car, currently I've got some 21" Arachnid reward wheels on and I'm trading up my Model S for a new Model X Performance.

Before I sell the car I wanted to put the 19" back on so that if I get a second hand Model S again in the future (part of my plan) I can put the 21" on that.

My question is other than the obvious (i.e. swapping the wheels) what else needs to be done by service if anything? Has anyone done it and what does it cost? Did you get them to change the wheels or just the settings etc?

I'm thinking the avatar of the car has the wheels on it (App and In Car) and also the Type Pressure sensors, but I'm sure there is more.

Any experience, welcome.

The settings for 19 to 21 and vice versa are easy.
Your car will detect the new tires/sensors and simply ask you if you would like to recalibrate to 21’s. And....your done :)

Avatar has to be updated by the SC. Takes them all of 5 min. They may resist until you take it in for an actual service or tire swap, but if you bring them a coffee (it works!), they make just do it on the spot

Any tire shop can swap them as long as they have a balancing machine which can accommodate low profile tires. They just can’t update the avatar.

Hope that helps!

Your car will detect the new tires/sensors and simply ask you if you would like to recalibrate to 21’s. And....your done :)

Avatar has to be updated by the SC. Takes them all of 5 min. They may resist until you take it in for an actual service or tire swap, but if you bring them a coffee (it works!), they make just do it on the spot

Any tire shop can swap them as long as they have a balancing machine which can accommodate low profile tires. They just can’t update the avatar.

Hope that helps!

Does the car ask this the very first time you drive after switching wheel sizes?

Does the car ask this the very first time you drive after switching wheel sizes?
After it rolls about a mile it detects the difference in number of revolutions for GPS distance travelled.
It then pops up an message to say “New wheel size detected. Please choose wheel size” (or something like that).
Very cool.

I have a set of 19 and a set of 21 and swap them over all the time. Use the 19s for road trips and the 21s for prancing about town :)

• Informative
Reactions: DCEV
After it rolls about a mile it detects the difference in number of revolutions for GPS distance travelled.
It then pops up an message to say “New wheel size detected. Please choose wheel size” (or something like that).
Very cool.

I have a set of 19 and a set of 21 and swap them over all the time. Use the 19s for road trips and the 21s for prancing about town :)

What he just said :)

Very cool.

Wow, very cool! Thanks for sharing how this works. Wish it would one day also detect this way if the car is out of alignment!

Hope that helps!

Thank you for your prompt and incredibly helpful response. I know it sounds daft, but with the different wheel sizes, sensors, etc, I really didn't realise it was that simple.

So the car even detects which sensor for each wheel automatically?

Thank you for your prompt and incredibly helpful response. I know it sounds daft, but with the different wheel sizes, sensors, etc, I really didn't realise it was that simple.

So the car even detects which sensor for each wheel automatically?

NP! Correct. It’s quite a good system as far as TPMS sensors go. As mentioned in another post, it may take a few km of driving before the system detects the new size and prompts you to choose.

Personally I would swap them at Tesla since they usually have a road force balance machine and they also don’t add ridiculous weights on the outside of the rim..inside only.

NP! Correct. It’s quite a good system as far as TPMS sensors go. As mentioned in another post, it may take a few km of driving before the system detects the new size and prompts you to choose.

Personally I would swap them at Tesla since they usually have a road force balance machine and they also don’t add ridiculous weights on the outside of the rim..inside only.

Good to know about the wheel weights being put inside by Tesla.

I know Tesla used to store your winter tires for you during the summer. Do they still do that?