TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Sweden Vs. Norway

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by Hybris, Jan 20, 2014.

1. Hybris

Hybris Member

As a Swede i should invent some norweigan jokes about the wipers and the electricity net in norway... ;-) (for you outsiders Sweden and norway love to make jokes about eachother). Oh and we are picky about our cars and tend to moan. i start to feel like a troll/moaner during the long wait for the car. Februari/march i will probably go silent as i have my car. ;-) Hmmm... this is a bit like Ior from Winne the poh ordering a Tesla? ;-)

2. Newbie

Newbie Banned

hvorfor har svenskene vindusviskere(windshieldwipers) på innsiden av bilruta?

svar: fordi de sier "brrrrrrrrrm!" mens de kjører elbil ...

:)

3. bonnie

bonnie Oil is for sissies.

The google translate version probably missed something, because it clearly lost the humor somewhere ... (surely you're not still going on about something that is already fixed, right?):

Or is this part of your 'on topic' crusade?

4. Newbie

Newbie Banned

#4 Newbie, Jan 20, 2014
    Last edited: Jan 20, 2014

this is an answer to the swede about the two countries benignant jokes about each other for centuries.. .. There's like a sister/brother hate / love connection between the two neighboring countries where each have jokes about each other...

If you read the post from hybris further up.. This was just a funny norwegian joke involving windshield wipers and swedes .. But if you ask a swede they have the same joke about Norwegians ... Just to clarify ..

To break this down to basic .... When children play with cars and mimic the engine sound and go brrrrrrmmmmm with the tongue between the lips they tend to spit a lot of saliva... Which in this case hits the inside of the windshield and thus the need for the wipers on the inside of the windshield.... Voila..

5. Hybris

Hybris Member

"Do you know what smart people in Norway are called?", "Tourists!"

"Do you know why Jesus was not born in Norway?", "Impossible to find three wise men"

"Do you know an easy way to sink a Norweigan submarine?", "Swim down an nock on the hatch"

etc... Not sure they are funny but its the typical "Norweigan jokes" in sweden. To be fair not so much jokes nowdays. Sweden just to be the big brother but norway is far richer due to the oil. ;-) off topic for sure...

I hope my wipers will not break. Assume they will be fine as long as no norweigan touch them ;-)

6. AmpedUP

AmpedUP EV Nut

My great grandfather was Finnish, and apparently had lots to share about life in Scandinavia. Three generations of U.S. culture later, though, the exact memories and jokes have all been forgotten, save for one bare thread of advice that just will not go away... "The Norwegians are crazy."

7. Shumdit

Shumdit Member

USA!!...USA!!...USA!!:tongue:

8. jerry33

jerry33 S85 - VIN:P05130 - 3/2/13

My Dad used to say, "A thousand Swedes crawled through the weeds in the battle of Copenhagen". I never found out any more about it though.

9. SwedishAdvocate

SwedishAdvocate Active Member

#9 SwedishAdvocate, Jan 21, 2014
    Last edited: Jan 21, 2014
    Guessing it's one of these 12 (!) wars:

Dano-Swedish war - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Don't know which one though. Some Danish and Swedish de facto dictators or 'kings' (or 'queens' (?)) as they were referred to[SUP]1[/SUP] finally wizened up enough somewhere around 1814.

And unfortunately there was a time ~200 years ago when it was 'a lot more serious' than that. The last war Sweden (hopefully ever) started was against Norway in 1814…

List of wars involving Sweden - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

[SUP]1[/SUP]And as difficult as it is to comprehend, in Sweden we still have a dude that’s referred to as a ‘king’ (!). And he has three kids who in turn are referred to as ‘crown princess’ (!), ‘prince’ (!), and ‘princess’ (!)… And every year this dude, who is absolutely loaded in the first place, get’s his annual welfare grant of a whopping ~18,5$ million (!) But of course that’s not what it’s called. Instead it’s called an ‘appanage’ (!)

[ Now where’s the little yellow guy doing a facepalm? ]

Update:

And if anyone’s interested, here’s a little something about what the dude in question has been up to through the years:

Swedes in shock at King Carl Gustaf sex scandal - Telegraph

10. SwedishAdvocate

SwedishAdvocate Active Member

#11 SwedishAdvocate, Jan 26, 2014
    Last edited: Jan 26, 2014
    A small vocabulary to go along with that YouTube video:

friskvårdsbidraget ~ the preventive care/keeping fit activities allowence. See more here (google translate for non-swedish speakers): Friskvårdsbidrag från arbetsgivaren | Unionen

bidrag ~ allowance

And the text in Swedish at the end, after the “Like a Swede” song translates into:

A thanks to

All employers’ and employees' organizations/unions that agree on the best terms and conditions on the Swedish labor market. Yesterday, today and tomorrow.

Become a sponsor for the Swedish part model at Like a Swede. It’s 99,9% free of charge.

And finally the logos of all the unions that are part of TCO. And that acronym stands for: