Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Swipe down on navigate

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
even better, it has a favorites section on that same menu
Tapping navigate gives you the favorites and recent locations.

Swiping down (press finger on Navigate button and hold it down as you move your finger down) will automatically navigate to home/work depending on where you are (presumably anywhere but home, and home)

I think most of us discovered the tap to see favorite / recent locations thing, but swiping down on navigate was new to many.

Reactions: MorrisonHiker
Tapping navigate gives you the favorites and recent locations.

Swiping down (press finger on Navigate button and hold it down as you move your finger down) will automatically navigate to home/work depending on where you are (presumably anywhere but home, and home)

I think most of us discovered the tap to see favorite / recent locations thing, but swiping down on navigate was new to many.
I use this feature all the time. However, I've found if you aren't at home (trying to navigate to work) or at work (trying to navigate home), it doesn't necessarily route you to the right destination since it doesn't know which destination you have in mind.

• Informative
Reactions: BioSehnsucht
The cars voice recognition is superb. That being said, It needs more user saved data to recognize. First on my list would be a user created database of names and addresses. Remembering "Jane Smith" is a lot easier than remembering her address "34905 Over the Hill Street, Fast Draw, Kansas". Just about all new vehicles being sold with a GPS system have the ability to save up to 100 Names/addresses.

From speaking and communicating with Tesla Technical people, I've gotten the distinct impression that they are not "Car Guys/Gals", but rather Computer geeks (I've been a computer geek most of my life). As an example, I sent a question/suggestion to Tesla concerning the Model 3's lack of a backup warning detector for cars or pedestrians approaching on the road behind the car. The reply I received was enthusiastic indicating that engineering would be looking into it. I got the distinct impression that the Tesla person had no idea that the feature was one that other car companies had been heavily advertising for the past 2-3 years.

My wife, who has 0 sense of direction pointed this deficiency out to me while I was oohing and ahhing over more important things like seeing if the mirrors would auto-fold when pulling into the garage.

Seriously, why doesn't a "Mid-Range Luxury Car" have a feature that cars selling for under $25K have, as a standard feature?

The cars voice recognition is superb. That being said, It needs more user saved data to recognize. First on my list would be a user created database of names and addresses. Remembering "Jane Smith" is a lot easier than remembering her address "34905 Over the Hill Street, Fast Draw, Kansas". Just about all new vehicles being sold with a GPS system have the ability to save up to 100 Names/addresses.

From speaking and communicating with Tesla Technical people, I've gotten the distinct impression that they are not "Car Guys/Gals", but rather Computer geeks (I've been a computer geek most of my life). As an example, I sent a question/suggestion to Tesla concerning the Model 3's lack of a backup warning detector for cars or pedestrians approaching on the road behind the car. The reply I received was enthusiastic indicating that engineering would be looking into it. I got the distinct impression that the Tesla person had no idea that the feature was one that other car companies had been heavily advertising for the past 2-3 years.

My wife, who has 0 sense of direction pointed this deficiency out to me while I was oohing and ahhing over more important things like seeing if the mirrors would auto-fold when pulling into the garage.

Seriously, why doesn't a "Mid-Range Luxury Car" have a feature that cars selling for under $25K have, as a standard feature?

I have also sent an edited version of this topic to the Tesla Executive Team. Let's see what happens

And anyplace but home will navigate back to home. Even if you pass right by work, it'll still navigate home.

It could be a little smarter there, but it's not a big deal.
Mine doesn't work that way. I was across town one day and swiped so it would navigate me home. I got halfway across town before I found it was really navigating me to work. Fortunately, I live 10 minutes past work so I was still heading the right direction. It just had the wrong destination and ETA.

You can create favorites and navigate to them. I've been navigating to "Grandma's" house for over a year.

Ah sorry, didn't see the voice part. I guess I have them in favorites and have to choose them that way, not via voice.

Last edited:
I don’t understand the need for swiping. When new the nav system asks if you want to set the location that the car wakes up at in the morning as “home” and asks if the location you drove to in the morning should be set as “work”. Accept those and you’ll have “ home” and “work” labels set at the top of the navigation list. Or add them later by pressing the home and work labels and entering the address. Then you can tap “home” or say “navigate to home” to get you there. Same for work. No swiping required.

Reactions: SVMike
I don’t understand the need for swiping. When new the nav system asks if you want to set the location that the car wakes up at in the morning as “home” and asks if the location you drove to in the morning should be set as “work”. Accept those and you’ll have “ home” and “work” labels set at the top of the navigation list. Or add them later by pressing the home and work labels and entering the address. Then you can tap “home” or say “navigate to home” to get you there. Same for work. No swiping required.
Swiping is just a shortcut requiring only one touch vs. touching Navigate and then touching Home/Work.

• Helpful
Mine doesn't work that way. I was across town one day and swiped so it would navigate me home. I got halfway across town before I found it was really navigating me to work. Fortunately, I live 10 minutes past work so I was still heading the right direction. It just had the wrong destination and ETA.

You can create favorites and navigate to them. I've been navigating to "Grandma's" house for over a year.

Ah sorry, didn't see the voice part. I guess I have them in favorites and have to choose them that way, not via voice.

OK. I see the favorites part and have created some favorites. Now how do you modify the "favorite" to label it Grandma's House.

OK. I see the favorites part and have created some favorites. Now how do you modify the "favorite" to label it Grandma's House.
1. Search for an address, it should pop up on the screen and show the Navigate option.
2. Click the heart icon to create a Favorite.
20180803_123107.jpg

3. It will then show the new Favorite and allow you to rename it.
20180803_123059.jpg

4. Click Add to Favorites

I didn't see a way to edit a favorite so if you name it incorrectly, I think you have to remove it (by holding down on it and clicking the X icon) and then follow the steps above again.

• Informative
1. Search for an address, it should pop up on the screen and show the Navigate option.
2. Click the heart icon to create a Favorite.View attachment 322720

3. It will then show the new Favorite and allow you to rename it.
View attachment 322719
4. Click Add to Favorites

I didn't see a way to edit a favorite so if you name it incorrectly, I think you have to remove it (by holding down on it and clicking the X icon) and then follow the steps above again.

OK, I see how you created the Nav point. You're selecting it on the map. When you do that, it gives you the opportunity to edit the name. However, when you create a Nav point by saying: "Navigate to 12 Elm Street Anywhere, Utah, the address becomes the name and you can't edit it. If you look at it in favorites the address is repeated, once in the title and again in the address box. This seems to be a bug in the nav software. I'm going to pass it on to the Tesla techies and see what happens.

OK, I see how you created the Nav point. You're selecting it on the map. When you do that, it gives you the opportunity to edit the name. However, when you create a Nav point by saying: "Navigate to 12 Elm Street Anywhere, Utah, the address becomes the name and you can't edit it. If you look at it in favorites the address is repeated, once in the title and again in the address box. This seems to be a bug in the nav software. I'm going to pass it on to the Tesla techies and see what happens.
First, I selected it from the history of places I've previously searched for via voice. Then it showed it on the map and I added it as a favorite. Then I was able to edit the name.

It's definitely not the most intuitive but it should be possible to give custom names to your Favorites.

First, I selected it from the history of places I've previously searched for via voice. Then it showed it on the map and I added it as a favorite. Then I was able to edit the name.

It's definitely not the most intuitive but it should be possible to give custom names to your Favorites.

Wow! Talk about non-user friendly. Yes, it does work. I don't think they could have made it any more difficult if they tried. Wait! They did try. There is nothing in the user manual about any of this.

Wow! Talk about non-user friendly. Yes, it does work. I don't think they could have made it any more difficult if they tried. Wait! They did try. There is nothing in the user manual about any of this.
To be honest, I created a bunch of favorites over a year ago. When you asked how to rename them earlier today, it took me several attempts to figure it out!