Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

T flashing red 6 times

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
We have been seeing a recurring issue for the past few weeks. It seems that the Gen 2 mobile connector will work most of the time (using a 14-50 adapter on a dedicated 50amp circuit) ...and then every once it a while we get an error and the T (in the TESLA lights) starts to flash red 6 times. According to the manual, this means "Pilot fault. The pilot level is incorrect. Unplug the Mobile Connector from the vehicle and then plug it back in. Try a different outlet. If the error persists, contact Tesla.. "

Any one have any ideas what this means? What is a "pilot fault"? Anything I should check before taking it for service?

Already checked that the connection to the 14-50 adapter is tight (zip tied for security).
Already checked that the wires are securely connected in the outlet on the wall.
Tried unplugging and repluging various times
Only solution seems to be to unplug everything (allow it to reset) and then it works again / or doesn't. No noticable pattern.

The pilot signal is the communications channel between the Tesla vehicle and Mobile Connector used to establish the voltage and amperage of the charging session. You need to rule out the Gen2 Mobile Connector as being faulty. You should open a service request using the Tesla App. Tesla Mobile service should be able to bring you a replacement Gen2 Mobile Connector. Then, if the issue persists you will know that the problem is with the Tesla vehicle.

Reactions: Prodock and 101dals
Upvote 0
In the meantime maybe could find a local Tesla owner willing to let you use his UMC to see how that operates on your 14-50 plug. That would help isolate the issue while you wait for your service appt. I'm sure there is a FB Tesla group near Knoxville that would be willing to help.

Upvote 0
Flashing red lights 6 times means there's too much voltage or poor grid quality detected. If you're using the level 2 charger, the power supply should be nominal 200-240 volts. Have an electrician remove the Wall Connector from the wire box and confirm that voltage readings are correct.
I don't actually have a wall connector. Just using the standard mobile connector. The flashing patterns appear to have different meanings.

For the wall connector - Six (6) red blinks = Overvoltage or poor grid quality detected, charging disabled
for the mobile connector - six (6) red blinks = Pilot fault. The pilot level is incorrect

• Informative
Reactions: Mike_TV
Upvote 0
Any update? I started having this issue with my 14-50 + mobile charger.
I am on a newly installed 14-50. I am experiencing the same symptoms as you, intermittent charging errors.
Tesla service gave me a new mobile charger to try, same behavior.
My car was charging fine with a Tesla wall charger at a different location for 2 years, never experienced the charging errors.

Upvote 0
Update-I figured out that it was the mobile connector with the 14-50 adapter. It works fine with the regular outlet adapter (which charges super slow). I haven't tried with any other adapters I was able to borrow my cousin's mobile connector and it worked fine. The only problem now is Tesla is sold out.

Upvote 0
Update-I figured out that it was the mobile connector with the 14-50 adapter. It works fine with the regular outlet adapter (which charges super slow). I haven't tried with any other adapters I was able to borrow my cousin's mobile connector and it worked fine. The only problem now is Tesla is sold out.
If the Mobile Connector is defective then Tesla Service (Mobile Service) should provide you with a replacement Mobile Connector. It should not matter that the Mobile Connector is out of stock on the Tesla.com online store, Tesla Service should be able to provide the Mobile Connector.

Reactions: SWIPE and 101dals
Upvote 0
Inform us on why it is not better to turn the breaker off if you have a gfci?
It usually takes some elbow grease to unplug a NEMA 14-50, increasing the chance of one (or more) of your fingers slipping around to touch one (or both) of the hot blades. With GFCI protection, the result is usually an unpleasant lesson. Without GFCI, the chances for serious injury go way up. Safest procedure is to turn off breaker, regardless of GFCI. But, without GFCI, as Dirty Harry said, ”Are you feeling lucky?”

Upvote 0
Inform us on why it is not better to turn the breaker off if you have a gfci?
The breaker is built for a limited number of cycles. If the circuit is protected (separate from the Mobile Connector's built in GFCI) by a GFCI circuit breaker there is minimal risk to the user when plugging or unplugging the Mobile Connector power plug adapter from the NEMA 14-50 240V receptacle while the receptacle is powered.

Upvote 0
It usually takes some elbow grease to unplug a NEMA 14-50, increasing the chance of one (or more) of your fingers slipping around to touch one (or both) of the hot blades. With GFCI protection, the result is usually an unpleasant lesson. Without GFCI, the chances for serious injury go way up. Safest procedure is to turn off breaker, regardless of GFCI. But, without GFCI, as Dirty Harry said, ”Are you feeling lucky?”
A gfci isn’t fail safe, and an arc flash could cause more injury than getting shocked.

Upvote 0