Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

TACC following distance is iliogical

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Then the graphics would need to be flipped L/R.

I think it has good internal logic, and I can't think of any context that makes it feel wrong.

edit: OK, I guess fan sliders/dials and heat sliders always have higher numbers to the right. But this seems different enough that I don't automatically make that association.

What gets me about TACC is following distance is way too close overall. 3 seconds people: 90% of accidents are caused by people following too close.

Stay back and leave yourself options when it all goes sideways.

Last edited:
Reactions: MikeR99
Push the wheel to the left and the numbers (and the distance) get higher
Push the wheel to the right and the numbers (and the distance) get lower

Is it just me, or should that work the other way round?

Since reading your post, I have been thinking about which direction should increase the distance. Honestly, I guess I can see it working either way. I never think about it when I change the setting.

Reactions: WhiteWi
It’s because we read left to right. Therefore, visually we associate that direction with forward progress, which is why in films more often than not if they want to show a character advancing they’ll be moving that way, if they want to show regression or create a sense of discomfort they’ll be moving right to left.

So in our mind’s eye, the tiny car icons should be moving left to right, and clicking to the right should move our tiny car closer to the one in front of it.

Reactions: Obiwanjr and OxBrew
What gets me about TACC is following distance is way too close overall. 3 seconds people: 90% of accidents are caused by people following too close.

Stay back and leave yourself options when it all goes sideways.

So many people think the number is "seconds" as in time between the next car. It is not 7 seconds back or even 7 cars back. (That's the other one people try to claim). If you look in the manual it states that it is "Time Based" but not seconds (or cars)..

So many people think the number is "seconds" as in time between the next car. It is not 7 seconds back or even 7 cars back. (That's the other one people try to claim). If you look in the manual it states that it is "Time Based" but not seconds (or cars)..
Yeah, I don't make any claims about the numbers on the screen. I just look at my following distance, based on when it starts slowing down and settles in to a spacing. It's about 1.8-2 seconds, by my ROUGH 1-one thousand count. Too close for me. I like 3-5 seconds.

Yeah, I'm weird, people pull in front of me sometimes, so what? I'm doing everything I can to never get in a crash because I was following too close. I also pull over for faster traffic. as soon as I can, always.

Reactions: sebxx
Yeah, I don't make any claims about the numbers on the screen. I just look at my following distance, based on when it starts slowing down and settles in to a spacing. It's about 1.8-2 seconds, by my ROUGH 1-one thousand count. Too close for me. I like 3-5 seconds.

Yeah, I'm weird, people pull in front of me sometimes, so what? I'm doing everything I can to never get in a crash because I was following too close. I also pull over for faster traffic. as soon as I can, always.

Bumper to bumper it will sit at 2.. If it speeds up or when traffic is light
I will be at a higher number just so I don't get rear ended if it runs up on someone. It's also better about slowing down if a vehicle is stopped in front of you and you're still at 60.

As soon as the traffic spacing gets tight, back to 2. Otherwise the others will take off and you'll just slowly speed up..