Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

TIP: Change FSD Minimal Lane Changes option without going into menu

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

scottf200

Feb 3, 2013
Chicagoland
When using FSD you can use the same steering wheel stock/wheel method you used with AP/TACC setting 1-7 units to change the FSD to Chill/Avg/Assert ...
but it also gives you a *quick* method to turn on 'Minimal Lane Changes' (reset each drive). I use my stock dial (TMX) to change from Chill->Avg->Chill quickly just to get the option below to set 'Minimal Lange Changes' on. There does not appear to be a voice command yet that I could find.
  • Menu: Controls > Autopilot > Cruise Follow Distance
  • Older Teslas: "... rotate the Autopilot stalk to choose a setting from 1 (the closest following distance) to 7 (the longest following distance). Each setting corresponds to a time-based distance that represents how long it takes for Model X, from its current location, to reach the location of the rear bumper of the vehicle ahead of you."
  • Newer Teslas: push the right-hand scroll on the steering wheel to the right or left to set your preferred following distance
TnZhibI.jpg

For some reason, this method does not work on my S Plaid. Nudging the right scroll wheel while in FSD doesn't nothing.

1) Why is this a "current drive" setting? Why not just allow it to stick like every other setting in the interface? I only want lane changes when I'm on an Interstate. I spend most of my driving time off Interstates.

2) Is there a way to change the setting using an API call from a mobile device? I could write a small wrapper that would detect vehicle movement and change the setting automatically.

Reactions: Resist
Because the default gives Tesla more data about FSDb's lane selection decisions. Having everyone leave it off would send a clear message, but that message would just be "Tesla, your lane selection logic stinks". They'd like more granular data than that.
I suspected data generation was the answer, but there are other settings that generate data that aren't drive specific.

Reactions: JB47394