Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tail Light Retrofit- AMBER turn signal

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
One thing I've always hated about my 3 was how they use the Brake light as the turn signal. I'm a big believer in a dedicated color(amber) for turn signal. Unfortunately a lot of manufactures are going away from that in favor for the brake/turn combo. Maybe it's cost savings.IDK, but I am out to change that.

I started looking into just purchasing the European model 3 Tail lights which have an amber turn signal factory(its required by law over seas to have a orange signal). The problem I ran into was the US spec cars are programmed to use the brake AS the turn signal. Which means than even if I got a European lamp, i would still need to find a way to change the computer system to flash a dedicated output for the turn signal.

So I purchased a set of stock tail lights and cut them apart. While inside I painted the chrome black which gave i a much cleaner look. Then I retrofitted a 3" Diode dynamics HD amber LED strip where the OEM reverse was. For the reverse, I retrofitted a 3" white LED strip right next to it(inner). The wiring was a bit tricky as I had to tap off the 3rd brake light for dedicated "BRAKE" then the front camera side markers for a dedicated "TURN" signal. Overall worked pretty well!
o3sTyaV.jpeg

In the trunk, pass side there's a harness. Blue wire is 3rd brake light which is where I tapped off.
F6O0REs.jpeg

Running the turn wires through the trunk boot. fun stuff
w4JuJoy.jpeg

XYJqaWl.png

here's a video showing the functions. They might look dim, but its out in direct sunlight. I assure you they are bright:)
Also you may notice they are hyperflashing because the car isn't seeing any load(i disconnected the stock brake/turn wire) I left them as is, but if it get annoying I will throw a resistor in there.

Also Decided to do blackout headlight, and AMBER DRL mod
KAbsLuh.jpeg

QTNKCRt.jpeg

NQfQpuW.jpeg

I was told the adapters will not work on newer build Model 3s.
Any reason for the adapters not working on the newer model 3s? I was really hoping the adapters would solve my issue.

my outer lights use the 4 pin adapter and then the inner lights use a 3 pin. It seems to be the same way it was set up in this redditors 22 us model 3
Reddit - Dive into anything and he used the adapters and made it work.

Really hoping there is a fix for this! Thanks for the quick replys as well!

Hello everyone, I just read through this thread to try and figure out this issue I’ve been having with my 23 US made model 3. My OEM tail lights were red with red turn signals and they both lit up when I pressed the brakes. I recently installed eagle eye tail lights from hansshow and my amber turn signals are lighting up with my brake lights.

From my understanding of reading through this thread, I can use the adapter from Nomisal and this will fix my blinker issue. Another method is to have the vehicle recoded for global. Is this correct or am I missing something? I saw a video on Reddit where someone installed the adapter from teslogic and was able to achieve the wanted results.

Also does anyone know where I can purchase this adapter? It seems to be out of stock on Amazon and teslogic website doesn’t have it anywhere. Thank you everyone!
I don't have an answer as to why it won't work, I was simply told it was "not needed" for my 22 or newer.

You'll probably have to do the same as <23LR and older will have to do and get it coded to 'Global' since your 23 came with the older lights. I did it and it works perfectly.

By the way, mods don't like his name said here... ;)

So if I’m understanding this correctly, the only thing causing my amber turn signals to light up is because of the signal from the computer is telling it to do that for the NA region coded cars?

I did a couple of searches on the recording process but wasn’t able to find solid information. A service center won’t do this but there are other shops that can do this? Does this have any effect on updates etc? Thank you so much for all your help and your replies!

So if I’m understanding this correctly, the only thing causing my amber turn signals to light up is because of the signal from the computer is telling it to do that for the NA region coded cars?

I did a couple of searches on the recording process but wasn’t able to find solid information. A service center won’t do this but there are other shops that can do this? Does this have any effect on updates etc? Thank you so much for all your help and your replies!
Correct. NA = 2023 LR and lower/older, and 2020 (i believe) and older Model Ys.

No eefects on updates so far. I had it done back in June I believe and have received all updates to date.

Reactions: Shmoe
Any reason for the adapters not working on the newer model 3s? I was really hoping the adapters would solve my issue.

my outer lights use the 4 pin adapter and then the inner lights use a 3 pin. It seems to be the same way it was set up in this redditors 22 us model 3
Reddit - Dive into anything and he used the adapters and made it work.

Really hoping there is a fix for this! Thanks for the quick replys as well!
It's a different connector that the older model 3's had to be adapted to. The new ones will fit the lights out of the box but will have the amber light on with the brake lights -- hence the need for the code change.

Quick question, does the global tail light setup have the 4 pin adapter with all 4 pins in use? Or is it the same as the US where there are only 3 pins used in the 4 pin adapter? I ask because I’m a bit confused on how the region recode works. If the global configuration cars have the same 3 pin and the US version then it makes sense that it’s a signal issue.

Either way I’m gonna go for the recode. I just want to make sure I’m understanding this all correctly haha

Quick question, does the global tail light setup have the 4 pin adapter with all 4 pins in use? Or is it the same as the US where there are only 3 pins used in the 4 pin adapter? I ask because I’m a bit confused on how the region recode works. If the global configuration cars have the same 3 pin and the US version then it makes sense that it’s a signal issue.

Either way I’m gonna go for the recode. I just want to make sure I’m understanding this all correctly haha
Same way. 4 Pins, 3 used.

All model 3s (well highland is different obviously) have 5 pin connectors with 4 of those pins populated. The pins are for ground, running lights, brake lamps, and turn signals. The US model 3 headlamps do not have a pin in the brake lamp position. So the US cars without global taillamps are coded to have the turn signal pin double as both brakes and turn signals. The brake lamp wire on the US cars is not used, though it does still function.

Coding makes it so that each pin has the individual function noted above.

For anyone looking to work with Teslogic @Kate@Teslogic to change their taillight setting to global, think again.

Paid $300 to get this service done and set up a time for today. Have now been waiting 45 minutes past our scheduled date/time for the remote work to me done and no one is responding. Absolute waste of time.
Not excusing it, but could something urgent have come up?

I only ask because I, and a few others here, got it done on time and with zero issues.

Not excusing it, but could something urgent have come up?

I only ask because I, and a few others here, got it done on time and with zero issues.

That would’ve been fine with me if proper communication was established to push the time back. He had me waiting from 11PM PST till 12:40AM PST with 0 explanation as to why he was almost 2 hours behind schedule. Eventually got it done but man, not the most pleasant experience.

I will be doing a 2018 Model 3 with the 3 pin connector these days and the idea is as follows:
- Buy stock EU tail lights with 4 pin plugs
- cut and rewire stoplight/turnsignal to front turn signals at body control module
- Pull a wire from third stop light to each taillights and wire to separete stop light

I will be doing a 2018 Model 3 with the 3 pin connector these days and the idea is as follows:
- Buy stock EU tail lights with 4 pin plugs
- cut and rewire stoplight/turnsignal to front turn signals at body control module
- Pull a wire from third stop light to each taillights and wire to separete stop light
Seems like a lot of work when you could just buy the adaptors from Amazon and they’d work for your 3.