Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tail Light Retrofit- AMBER turn signal

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
One thing I've always hated about my 3 was how they use the Brake light as the turn signal. I'm a big believer in a dedicated color(amber) for turn signal. Unfortunately a lot of manufactures are going away from that in favor for the brake/turn combo. Maybe it's cost savings.IDK, but I am out to change that.

I started looking into just purchasing the European model 3 Tail lights which have an amber turn signal factory(its required by law over seas to have a orange signal). The problem I ran into was the US spec cars are programmed to use the brake AS the turn signal. Which means than even if I got a European lamp, i would still need to find a way to change the computer system to flash a dedicated output for the turn signal.

So I purchased a set of stock tail lights and cut them apart. While inside I painted the chrome black which gave i a much cleaner look. Then I retrofitted a 3" Diode dynamics HD amber LED strip where the OEM reverse was. For the reverse, I retrofitted a 3" white LED strip right next to it(inner). The wiring was a bit tricky as I had to tap off the 3rd brake light for dedicated "BRAKE" then the front camera side markers for a dedicated "TURN" signal. Overall worked pretty well!
o3sTyaV.jpeg

In the trunk, pass side there's a harness. Blue wire is 3rd brake light which is where I tapped off.
F6O0REs.jpeg

Running the turn wires through the trunk boot. fun stuff
w4JuJoy.jpeg

XYJqaWl.png

here's a video showing the functions. They might look dim, but its out in direct sunlight. I assure you they are bright:)
Also you may notice they are hyperflashing because the car isn't seeing any load(i disconnected the stock brake/turn wire) I left them as is, but if it get annoying I will throw a resistor in there.

Also Decided to do blackout headlight, and AMBER DRL mod
KAbsLuh.jpeg

QTNKCRt.jpeg

NQfQpuW.jpeg

ep. The question would be is the adapters @ $170 (Probably shipping additional) worth it vs the hassle of wiring it up yourself?
Thats solid yes even though I didn't pay 170 for mine ( bought mine some time ago). All I did was install the outers and added the adapter.. no mess no fuss and they have been rock solid. I added the inners ( not a requirement but it looks better ) by getting the correct 4 pin sockets and pulling the pins out of the 3 pin socket and swapping in the 4 pin sockets with the original pins. Took about 30 mins in total for both sides. No butchered wiring and they work perfectly.

OEM EURO LIGHT ON US CARS?
Yes? That’s what most of this thread is about. Either the OEM euro or the new global tail light.

Do we have a diagram telling us the taillight four pin definition?

I would like to know which one is the VC-LEFT-BRAKE-LIGHT
It’s the whole unit. There isn’t a specific pin. VC_LEFT is the left body side control module.

Slightly off topic but I already have a Euro car, so have always had amber turn signals... BUT...

I have the older non C-style brake lights on a 2020 M3P, and only one reverse light. Later cars have a C-style brake light, and two reverse lights. Would I need these adapters, or could I just plug them in and get the car coded somehow?

Slightly off topic but I already have a Euro car, so have always had amber turn signals... BUT...

I have the older non C-style brake lights on a 2020 M3P, and only one reverse light. Later cars have a C-style brake light, and two reverse lights. Would I need these adapters, or could I just plug them in and get the car coded somehow?
Technically I think these use the global pinout already since global coding works for both the euro tails and the new global tails. It might just be plug and play for you.

Taillamps should work without configuration.

If you want the dual reverse lights and rear fog lamps, that would require a little bit of rewiring. Doing it the factory way would also require the gateway configuration to be edited. Easier way would be to splice the wires such that you have reverse going to both sides and fog going to both sides.

• Helpful
Reactions: E90alex and Durzel
I also finally got mine recoded by the awesome people we’re not supposed to talk about. They did excellent work and my Hansshow tail lights work exactly as they are supposed to now on my US 2022 M3. Might have taken them 10 minutes after they remote connected into my car. No errors, no codes, no fast flashing signals, no adapters, and no brake and turn signal lights turning on at the same time. Those people were wonderful and know exactly what they’re doing. Happy to finally have my swapped taillights working correctly.