Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tail Light Retrofit- AMBER turn signal

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
One thing I've always hated about my 3 was how they use the Brake light as the turn signal. I'm a big believer in a dedicated color(amber) for turn signal. Unfortunately a lot of manufactures are going away from that in favor for the brake/turn combo. Maybe it's cost savings.IDK, but I am out to change that.

I started looking into just purchasing the European model 3 Tail lights which have an amber turn signal factory(its required by law over seas to have a orange signal). The problem I ran into was the US spec cars are programmed to use the brake AS the turn signal. Which means than even if I got a European lamp, i would still need to find a way to change the computer system to flash a dedicated output for the turn signal.

So I purchased a set of stock tail lights and cut them apart. While inside I painted the chrome black which gave i a much cleaner look. Then I retrofitted a 3" Diode dynamics HD amber LED strip where the OEM reverse was. For the reverse, I retrofitted a 3" white LED strip right next to it(inner). The wiring was a bit tricky as I had to tap off the 3rd brake light for dedicated "BRAKE" then the front camera side markers for a dedicated "TURN" signal. Overall worked pretty well!
o3sTyaV.jpeg

In the trunk, pass side there's a harness. Blue wire is 3rd brake light which is where I tapped off.
F6O0REs.jpeg

Running the turn wires through the trunk boot. fun stuff
w4JuJoy.jpeg

XYJqaWl.png

here's a video showing the functions. They might look dim, but its out in direct sunlight. I assure you they are bright:)
Also you may notice they are hyperflashing because the car isn't seeing any load(i disconnected the stock brake/turn wire) I left them as is, but if it get annoying I will throw a resistor in there.

Also Decided to do blackout headlight, and AMBER DRL mod
KAbsLuh.jpeg

QTNKCRt.jpeg

NQfQpuW.jpeg

About to do this on my 2018 Model 3, I see that it can be done with new wiring harness and obviously new global lights. I can source all that, how do I code my car to global set up? Is it done through Toolbox? Who do you guys use for coding?
I used to code my BMWs myself, fairly straight forward once you spend a few moments learning the codes. Is it the same for Tesla?

About to do this on my 2018 Model 3, I see that it can be done with new wiring harness and obviously new global lights. I can source all that, how do I code my car to global set up? Is it done through Toolbox? Who do you guys use for coding?
I used to code my BMWs myself, fairly straight forward once you spend a few moments learning the codes. Is it the same for Tesla?

I thought coding was only needed on 2021+ (?) On my 2019 I used teslogic adapters for outter tail lights, and followed Borland's instructions to creating inner adapters. Tail light part numbers 1502089-00-B, 1502088-00-B, 1502086-00-D, 1502087-00-D.

Last edited:
I thought coding was only needed on 2021+ (?) On my 2019 I used teslogic adapters for outter tail lights, and followed Borland's instructions to creating inner adapters. Tail light part numbers 1502089-00-B, 1502088-00-B, 1502086-00-D, 1502087-00-D.
I couldn't find the instructions for the inner adapters, is it part of this tread? Do you have a link by change.
Also, with out coding but when using adapters, your car on the screen still shows brake lights as red line, not a C part, correct?

I couldn't find the instructions for the inner adapters, is it part of this tread? Do you have a link by change.
Also, with out coding but when using adapters, your car on the screen still shows brake lights as red line, not a C part, correct?
Yep. Cars with the global tails from the factory are like that too. Typical Tesla lack of attention to detail.

here you go ("inner" 3-pin to 4-pin adapters). Yeah screen shows brakes as red line.

adapter2.jpg

inner.jpg

Hi Everyone. Great thread! Just wanting to put a post in and ask for information regarding my 2022 3. I have the original all red tail lights.

I’d love to get the Y/newer 3 outer tail lights. What do I need to do? Do I need an adapter? Do I need to replace the inner lights too?

Thank you!

Hi Everyone. Great thread! Just wanting to put a post in and ask for information regarding my 2022 3. I have the original all red tail lights.

I’d love to get the Y/newer 3 outer tail lights. What do I need to do? Do I need an adapter? Do I need to replace the inner lights too?

Thank you!
2022 needs coding changes, wiring adapter is for 2017-2021. You do not need to replace the inner lights but the new model might be slightly brighter.

(EDit: see post below mine)

Last edited:

Thank you!
I just replaced the inners on mine (since I got a full set of takeoffs from a 2023 M3P). I pulled the pins and placed them in the four pin plugs per the posts upthread. To my eye they look and function identically to the old ones, so I would skip that step if I had it to do over. Still need to find time to schedule the 're-code' and install my outers. As Adam said, the outers are plug-n-play for your 2022, but until you get the configuration updated the ambers will come on with your brake lights.

• Helpful
Reactions: Adam3
So just to update on this, the body side connector does have the rear fog pins wired up. After adding two wires to trunk harness and having someone change the gateway config to enable the rear fogs, they light up.

Cars that have the global taillamps from the factory should already have the wiring in place, in which case it's a config change that's needed to enable them.

View attachment 944219

View attachment 944218

I have a USA 2019 3 Performance and trying to do this. I bought the new outer and inner lights with the 4pins. I have a way to activate them.

Where do I run the 2 wires your talking about?
Do you happen to have or can you take pics?

Thanks

Reactions: Adam3
I have a USA 2019 3 Performance and trying to do this. I bought the new outer and inner lights with the 4pins. I have a way to activate them.

Where do I run the 2 wires your talking about?
Do you happen to have or can you take pics?

Thanks
The wires were run to where the trunk harness meets the body harness. I’m not sure what the necessary pinout would be on a pre-refresh model

Can someone explain to me what is the signal difference between regen brake and pedal brake on new taillight (2022/2023)?

I mean what kind of signal it is outputting on each wire(4 pin connector)
AFAIK there is no difference. The car sends a 'braking' signal to the appropriate wire when you apply the brakes or when regen is active, and the three brake lights illuminate.