Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tail Light Retrofit- AMBER turn signal

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
One thing I've always hated about my 3 was how they use the Brake light as the turn signal. I'm a big believer in a dedicated color(amber) for turn signal. Unfortunately a lot of manufactures are going away from that in favor for the brake/turn combo. Maybe it's cost savings.IDK, but I am out to change that.

I started looking into just purchasing the European model 3 Tail lights which have an amber turn signal factory(its required by law over seas to have a orange signal). The problem I ran into was the US spec cars are programmed to use the brake AS the turn signal. Which means than even if I got a European lamp, i would still need to find a way to change the computer system to flash a dedicated output for the turn signal.

So I purchased a set of stock tail lights and cut them apart. While inside I painted the chrome black which gave i a much cleaner look. Then I retrofitted a 3" Diode dynamics HD amber LED strip where the OEM reverse was. For the reverse, I retrofitted a 3" white LED strip right next to it(inner). The wiring was a bit tricky as I had to tap off the 3rd brake light for dedicated "BRAKE" then the front camera side markers for a dedicated "TURN" signal. Overall worked pretty well!
o3sTyaV.jpeg

In the trunk, pass side there's a harness. Blue wire is 3rd brake light which is where I tapped off.
F6O0REs.jpeg

Running the turn wires through the trunk boot. fun stuff
w4JuJoy.jpeg

XYJqaWl.png

here's a video showing the functions. They might look dim, but its out in direct sunlight. I assure you they are bright:)
Also you may notice they are hyperflashing because the car isn't seeing any load(i disconnected the stock brake/turn wire) I left them as is, but if it get annoying I will throw a resistor in there.

Also Decided to do blackout headlight, and AMBER DRL mod
KAbsLuh.jpeg

QTNKCRt.jpeg

NQfQpuW.jpeg

The wires were run to where the trunk harness meets the body harness. I’m not sure what the necessary pinout would be on a pre-refresh model
Yea it's different. These last 2 days after work I been trying to trace it down. I don't have a fog wire on any of the harnesses.

Next im going to have to find a way to get to the Right Body Control Module and see if there is even a pin for the fog that I can connect a wire to. According to the wire diagram, it should be Pin 50 and or 51 on the J1 connector

I have already converted/update my outers with the amber turns and the 4pin inner tail light.

Last edited:
Yea it's different. These last 2 days after work I been trying to trace it down. I don't have a fog wire on any of the harnesses.

Next im going to have to find a way to get to the Right Body Control Module and see if there is even a pin for the fog that I can connect a wire to. According to the wire diagram, it should be Pin 50 and or 51 on the J1 connector

I have already converted/update my outers with the amber turns and the 4pin inner tail light.
If you get the rear fogs working, please post a pic/vid. Would like to see what they look like.

If you're referring to my post earlier, those are with the global inners.

If you have a car with the global tails from the factory, they're wired up from the factor. Just need the coding done to enable them.
Oh interesting. So the global inners are 4 pin too? Asking bc when I removed one of the inners, it has rear fog with the wattage stamped on it...but it's a 3 pin inner.

brave_HNxuVeyqXj.png

Last edited:
Oh interesting. So the global inners are 4 pin too? Asking bc when I removed one of the inners, it has rear fog with the wattage stamped on it...but it's a 3 pin inner.

View attachment 984545
Yea no fog on those. Have to upgrade to the 4 pins.
I think they only stamped that on the 3 pin inners for the EU cars. But my US 3 pin was just like yours. Fog stamps on there but no fog lights. I upgraded to the 4 pin.

Reactions: WhiteM3P-
Just did this today. Simple plug and play now like mentioned, but did notice two things.

1) the yellow blinker "hangs" for a split second when canceling/stopping while brake light is on, for both sides. No big deal and i can live with that split second hang. Doesn't happen if no application of brakes. No hyperflash or getting lit up when first braking.

2) the outside "C" area definitely is slightly brighter than the inner original LED lights. Again, something i'm fine with and can live with.

Also, i rarely will ever see the back of my own car while driving and part of me wonders why I just did this. Although i'll admit, i do like the outer LED lamps as the brake lights.

Reactions: Adam3
Cars that have the global taillamps from the factory should already have the wiring in place, in which case it's a config change that's needed to enable them.
Lots of great information in this thread, but if I want to just focus on the rear fogs - both sides lit, with a control in the UI - for a 2019 North American 3, what is the formula? It sounds like I might need new inner lights, might need to pull wires,* might need someone to reconfigure region/settings? Especially on the region/configuration change, can you elaborate on what that entails?

*if I have to pull wires, I'll probably abort the effort.

Lots of great information in this thread, but if I want to just focus on the rear fogs - both sides lit, with a control in the UI - for a 2019 North American 3, what is the formula? It sounds like I might need new inner lights, might need to pull wires,* might need someone to reconfigure region/settings? Especially on the region/configuration change, can you elaborate on what that entails?

*if I have to pull wires, I'll probably abort the effort.

You would need to upgrade the Inner tail lights.

I also have a 2019 (I could be wrong on this).. I traced the wire harness back to the RH body control module and there is no wire on the connector for the fog. It's not pre-wired like the newer cars. I didn't want to mess with the connector and try to pin a wire so I left it alone.

I have been thinking about just running a hot wire to the rear fogs with a manual on/off switch.

• Informative
Reactions: pnwadventures
Hi to all,
I have buyed the tail light, for my model Y. The question is: In the cable connector there are 4 wires, RED BLACK WHITE YELLOW and another ORANGE directly oin the interface. I don't like repeat on the tail light, the turn indicator, but only red light and the stop light. The 4 color wires are common, red polition light, stop light and turn ?
So by disconnecting one of the 4 wires the direction indicator doesn't work, or they are power and can bus ?
Thank you to all.