Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tail lights not working

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hope you guys can help...

Firstly, I installed those Amazon bumper lights that replace the lower reflectors with cool lamps about a month ago, but since install, everything has been fine.

Suddenly this weekend, the passenger-side brake light stopped working - running/parking still working.

So, I took the aftermarket harness out and re-connected the stock plug directly into the tail light - no change.
I then pulled the connector out and blew air in it, then plugged it back in - all lights not working now. Running, brake etc. This is also on the trunk lights too.

I then removed the aftermarket harness from the drivers-side and now ONLY the brake works.

Not sure whats going on but the plugs look good and they are pushed in all the way. What is going on here?

THANKS!

@tnhines83 I would recommend using a sensor based wiring kit to avoid doing any wiring tapping or splicing, such as:

This isolates your new bumper light from the Tesla's electrical system.

Note: You will need to get a 12 V input, and I used the Auxiliary 12 V plug so the module get turned off when the car is sleeping.
(In the case of using this wiring kit with a trailer, you should use a direct 12 V power input).

Note: I installed this bumper light because the tail lights get obstructed when carrying a bicycle.

For this particular bumper lights, I noticed that the running lights are too bright so the Stop or Turn sign are barely noticeable.​
So I would recommend not connecting the running light wire, or adding a resistor in series to lower its intensity.​
Also this device provides only wires with no connectors, but since I was using the Tekonsha wiring kit this was fine.​
Otherwise you will need to splice the wires to the Tesla wiring system or use additional connectors,​
but this might interfere with the Tesla wiring system which replaced fused with circuits breakers detecting abnormal consumption.

Last edited: