Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

"Take Control Warning" with Flashing Yellow

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
This morning at 5am I was driving into work with AP engaged and when I went near a flashing yellow, the Driver Console flashed red stating "Take Control Immediately" and I noticed the speed limit icon had changed to a street light icon. I have never seen this happen before and was curious if this was part of a new firmware addition? I have gone through flashing yellows before on AP and never had this happen. Also, there was no prior indication for me to "place hands on wheel" before I approached the light.

This morning at 5am I was driving into work with AP engaged and when I went near a flashing yellow, the Driver Console flashed red stating "Take Control Immediately" and I noticed the speed limit icon had changed to a street light icon. I have never seen this happen before and was curious if this was part of a new firmware addition? I have gone through flashing yellows before on AP and never had this happen. Also, there was no prior indication for me to "place hands on wheel" before I approached the light.
Yes I have had a similar experience when driving in AP. When I approach a flashing yellow light, for a fire station for instance, my car will slam on the brakes. I have tried putting my foot on excelerator but it doesn’t help. It is very dangerous because if a car is close behind you, they could easily slam into you. We actually had this experience today while driving 55 bypass in Alabama just outside of Andalusia. Speed limit was 65 and a flashing yellow caught me by surprise and nearly gave me whiplash. Does anyone know how to stop it?

Probably got caught by surprise and wasn't sure what to do... I sometimes get this same error when letting it stop at a stop sign near me; randomly it'll think that it overshot the stopline, even though it initiated the braking and was about to stop exactly where it should.

The most generic advice re: both posts above is just wait for another revision. I've noticed these quirks come and go; for 1-2 versions mine would identify and even react to a completely unrelated stoplight a few hundred feet away while traveling down the freeway, but it hasn't happened since. Same thing with the AP panic at the stop sign - sometimes it works consistently well and other versions it will either brake too early or freak out after braking correctly.

Reactions: CaliSurfer
Yes I have had a similar experience when driving in AP. When I approach a flashing yellow light, for a fire station for instance, my car will slam on the brakes. I have tried putting my foot on excelerator but it doesn’t help. It is very dangerous because if a car is close behind you, they could easily slam into you. We actually had this experience today while driving 55 bypass in Alabama just outside of Andalusia. Speed limit was 65 and a flashing yellow caught me by surprise and nearly gave me whiplash. Does anyone know how to stop it?
The accelerator will always override.

Reactions: CaliSurfer
The accelerator will always override.
Agreed. I have learned that when in AP around town to keep my foot near the accelerator for situations like this. I have also noticed in the New England area that my car doesn't like going up a curved hill and seems to hit the brakes 50% of the time when nothing is there. I think this is because the car cannot see what lies ahead and for safety slows down through the turn. Pressing the accelerator solves this problem.