Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Take out HV batt pack / cut out bad cell? (S P85+)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Not really. I suspect you could design a BMS to handle larger discrepancies, but you'd also be reducing the pack capacity by doing it. The worse/bad module reduces the life of the remaining modules as they are constantly compensated to try and adjust to match the bad module.
the way i understand it, is its not reducing the life of good modules its just not using full capacity cause lowest brick CAC dictates the limits
weaker brick will charge/discharge faster so good bricks won't ever be used to full potential
now why tesla doesn't allow to go too much on CAC imbalance, i don't know
maybe they're afraid weak brick will overheat since i think cells internal resistance increases as they get weaker...

Not really. I suspect you could design a BMS to handle larger discrepancies, but you'd also be reducing the pack capacity by doing it. The worse/bad module reduces the life of the remaining modules as they are constantly compensated to try and adjust to match the bad module. Efficiency also goes down as the BMS generates waste heat as it attempts to make the needed adjustments.

Using mismatched modules as a one-off for some ICE to EV retrofit or home projects may not matter as much. You may not care about longevity. These projects are often a "can it be done" cheaply rather than done well.
Would be more intricate with larger packs that vehicles have these days. Back in the olden days, of conversions, and things like the old Zap Cars, we had a different method of balancing the lead acids. Instead of using resistors to bleed off the higher voltage batteries, the balancing hardware would shuttle balance. As in, shuttle charge from higher voltage batteries to the lower voltages. Of course, some power is lost due to the inefficiencies, however, instead of losing 100% of that power as heat, you'd still get ~80% of that shuttled power moved to the lowest batteries. So in essence, you'd still have the power to use. Speed was limited, but in the grand scheme of things, it did just fine. Easy to do though, when the battery pack consists of only 6-14, 12v deep cycle batteries. Still got an easy 50 miles range out of my Alfa Romeo 164! And it was more reliable than anything Alfa ever built!

something like that would be harder to implement these days, or I should really say, costly, than resistors. For a battery like Tesla's, it would need to be a multi-teared approach.
Tier 1: Brick Level Balance--- Bricks within a single module are shuttle balanced to only the other bricks within that module.
Tier 2: Module Level Balancing- shuttle balance each module to each other module, at module level voltage.

That would be about the only real way to mitigate mismatched bricks within modules, and mismatched modules within the pack.

"Active BMS" is a thing in Chinese low volt e-bike etc batteries. It works like @islandbayy described above. It first charges a capacitor from the highest voltage cell, then discharges that to the lowest voltage cell. This is repeated a few times per second.

Active BMS can have quite big balancing current, typical values are 1A or 2A. Tesla balances at 20mA (right?) but it has to be noted that it can bleed multiple cells at once so the total current can be very high.

And indeed active balancing is increasingly difficult when there are many cells in series.