Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Taking car in for first detail... any preparations?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm taking my Model 3 in for its first detailing tomorrow morning and wonder what preparations (if any) that this group has done. I've used this detailer before and he is a nice guy, owns the business and works on the cars himself. He has never worked on a Tesla before though. I imagine I will spend some time showing him the basics of using the key card to get in out of the vehicle, how to properly open the doors etc..

In addition to basic usage, would you still enable Valet mode/Speed limit mode? What about keeping Sentry Mode enabled? He would have the key card, so i'm not sure if sentry mode would even activate as long as the key card was on the center console.
Since valet mode locks the frunk, then maybe i do not want to use it because the detailer may need to get to that area? Maybe i'm just over-thinking all of this and should just relax. I just never had this much control over my previous ICE cars.

Hey Burrito, the detailer I goto is in Atlantic County. If you are from the area or interested, I can message you his information.
I appreciate the suggestions!
I wasn’t surprised to hear that my detailer hasn’t worked on them as I don’t see too many in our area.
I’ll update the thread with my experience after I pickup the car tomorrow and post a picture.

I'm taking my Model 3 in for its first detailing tomorrow morning and wonder what preparations (if any) that this group has done. I've used this detailer before and he is a nice guy, owns the business and works on the cars himself. He has never worked on a Tesla before though. I imagine I will spend some time showing him the basics of using the key card to get in out of the vehicle, how to properly open the doors etc..

In addition to basic usage, would you still enable Valet mode/Speed limit mode? What about keeping Sentry Mode enabled? He would have the key card, so i'm not sure if sentry mode would even activate as long as the key card was on the center console.
Since valet mode locks the frunk, then maybe i do not want to use it because the detailer may need to get to that area? Maybe i'm just over-thinking all of this and should just relax. I just never had this much control over my previous ICE cars.

I don't think any major preparations are required but I would personally do the following:

1) Make sure he is aware that Tesla paint is super soft and easily prone to scratches and swirls, so he should take extra precautions to make sure he doesn't damage the paint.

2) Make sure your battery is nearly full when you drop it off, just in case he has the doors open for quite a long time or does something else to use up more power than you expected.

3) A small detail - when I do the interior of the car, I find it annoying if the HVAC fan kicks in automatically. I personally would shut off the fan so that he isn't blasted in the face as he is trying to clean the dash or the windshield.

4) Do you have any PPF anywhere on the car? Make sure he does not use any sealants, waxes, or other products that are not PPF safe. If you don't have any PPF at all, then of course don't worry about it.

5) Every so often I would use my Tesla app to check the location of the car to make sure he hasn't taken it for a joy ride ;)

Thank you @joebruin77 for the great tips! I just plugged her in because of your tip regarding the battery!

I don’t have any PPF or Ceramic but have thought about getting it done at a later time.
I have heard the Tesla paint is soft , and will bring this up at my appointment.

Also like the suggestion with the auto fan and will turn it off before drop/off.

While I trust my detailer and he is very professional, I will still most likely keep tabs on my car’s location throughout the day at work.(because I can now)

Reactions: joebruin77
Well, got the car back from the auto detailer and it looks great! Thanks again for all the tips and suggestions!

IMG_1377.jpg
IMG_1376.jpg

Also, the Model 3 dashboard is said to scratch easily. Even with a clean microfiber towel: Dashboard scratches
I started to fold my microfiber towel in thirds, then in half and show no towel edges. Grab the only edges you see up in your hand and pull across the dash. The ends bunch and roll on the soft material, like dragging ropes down the dash, leaving those damn marks. Kind of hard to describe but it eliminates the edges rolling on me. Adam's Interior Detailer works great for me. They look horrible when you first see them, then are gone again as easy.

• Helpful
Reactions: madhat7998
Looks awesome. Did the detailer tell you what kind of sealant and/or wax was used? Did he or she have any recommendations on what products to use for washing, keeping clean, etc?

Thanks Joe! He used Carnauba Wax (after washing and clay barring etc). For the windows and glass surfaces he used “Invisible Glass” which he highly recommends.

As far as keeping the car clean on a daily basis, he said to just hose it down and recommended “meguiars wash and wax” after.
However, I showed him the bottle of “Aero Cosmetics Wash Wax All” I had recently purchased and he said that should work as well.

He said come back every 4-5 months for a detail and before the winter. Not bad for $140!

Also, I did ask him about ceramic coating/ppf since so many here recommend it.. he told me not to waste my money on it. He basically said it doesn’t last. He had it done to his own car and wasn’t impressed. However, He does also apply ceramic coating and would do it for me if I wanted it.

He said just stick with the waxing and keeping it cleaned with the products mentioned above. My car is garage kept.

He is very honest with me, a great guy who has been doing this for over 11 years (maybe more.. I forget). He had done 4 other cars the day he did mine.

Reactions: Kleenerth3
Thanks Joe! He used Carnauba Wax (after washing and clay barring etc). For the windows and glass surfaces he used “Invisible Glass” which he highly recommends.

As far as keeping the car clean on a daily basis, he said to just hose it down and recommended “meguiars wash and wax” after.
However, I showed him the bottle of “Aero Cosmetics Wash Wax All” I had recently purchased and he said that should work as well.

He said come back every 4-5 months for a detail and before the winter. Not bad for $140!

Also, I did ask him about ceramic coating/ppf since so many here recommend it.. he told me not to waste my money on it. He basically said it doesn’t last. He had it done to his own car and wasn’t impressed. However, He does also apply ceramic coating and would do it for me if I wanted it.

He said just stick with the waxing and keeping it cleaned with the products mentioned above. My car is garage kept.

He is very honest with me, a great guy who has been doing this for over 11 years (maybe more.. I forget). He had done 4 other cars the day he did mine.

I like Meguiars Wash and Wax. I prefer the Meguiars D115 Express Wash and Wax. This is their professional version of the same product. Because it comes in a gallon size, it is much more cost effective compared to Meguiars Wash and Wax. I have not used Aero Cosmetics WWA but have heard good things about it.

I would be curious to find out which specific wax he used. Most carnauba waxes do not last 4 or 5 months. There are some waxes that are a combination of synthetic waxes or sealants with carnauba mixed in that may last that long. So I would suggest you ask him the name of the exact product he used.

I don't understand his comments about PPF and ceramic coatings. There are some drawbacks and negatives to these products but "it doesn't last" is not one of them. A quality PPF comes with a 10-year warranty and ceramic coatings are very durable esp compared to traditional waxes. They are very expensive and, to some, not worth the price. But to say they don't last is not accurate. Is it possible that he told you they do not last because, if you were to get them, it would mean fewer details for him?

Either way, your M3 looks awesome.

I was paraphrasing his comments on ceramic coating/ppf as I don’t recall the entire conversation. But regarding the “doesn’t last” Had something to do with weather conditions and cars not being garage kept.. I understand it is different for everyone and I may still consider getting it done in the future.
But he definitely didn’t make that comment because he wants repeat business from me.. he is not that type of person. He also said he would even do ceramic coating for me, if I still wanted it.

As far as the Carnauba Wax, he did give me the specific name.. I just don’t remember it (I had a long day at work and was tired). If I had to guess (after googling the various kinds) I would say it sounded like he used P21S Wax

I was paraphrasing his comments on ceramic coating/ppf as I don’t recall the entire conversation. But regarding the “doesn’t last” Had something to do with weather conditions and cars not being garage kept.. I understand it is different for everyone and I may still consider getting it done in the future.
But he definitely didn’t make that comment because he wants repeat business from me.. he is not that type of person. He also said he would even do ceramic coating for me, if I still wanted it.

As far as the Carnauba Wax, he did give me the specific name.. I just don’t remember it (I had a long day at work and was tired). If I had to guess (after googling the various kinds) I would say it sounded like he used P21S Wax
Again, I agree with Joebruin77. All the wax in the world won't stop a rock from chipping paint. Like you, my 3 is a daily driver and every truck I've ever owned has been peppered with little pock marks across the entire front. For $580 I had the Xpel clear bra installed which included all the lights in front. It's already saved my headlight from a rock gouge and the splitter from some cord that was flopping around on the freeway unwound. Either one would have done a few thousand in repairs, the Xpel healed up and you can't tell anything even happened.
As far as wax... I'm an old detailer from way back and have sworn by my carnuba! I'm now a ceramic coating lover cuz of encouragement from guys like Joe and now my 3 is better for it. I used Adam's ceramic and watched the tutorials for proper application. It was no harder than a thorough wax detailing and far longer lasting. Waterless washes are a snap and a few sprays of ceramic boost makes it super slick and shiney.
Nothing wrong with a good coat of wax. I do miss the smell of carnuba, but Adam's products more than make up for it. Look into the Xpel products, they do guarantee it for 10 years and are one of the most proactive when it comes to customer satisfaction.
BTW- Your 3 looks absolutely beautiful and enjoy your ride! :cool:

• Helpful
Reactions: madhat7998

I realize I was probably jumping to conclusions based on too little info. Your detailer sounds like a stand up guy. Glad you have found someone you trust.

I have used the P21S Wax (or whatever the name is). It is a very good wax. I personally like the Collinite waxes better such as Collinite 845 or Collinite 915. I do really like the P21S Paint Cleanser. When you want to remove contaminants from your paint prior to applying wax, in addition to a clay bar, you can also use that paint cleanser and it is good stuff.