Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tampa FL area forum members- thoughts and prayers

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Have some relatives on Tampa coast and the eastern side so watching streaming news from there now. Thinking of all of our Florida TMC members as well and wishing all to emerge safely from this. Hope your panels survive the winds and your powerwalls keep your lights on.

News from Tampa Bay Fox Weather streaming was reporting Tampa Bay had a negative 6 ft level. Waiting for water to come back in.

Reactions: bruce4000
I was wondering how many Power walls people have and how long they can keep the power on without any Solar generation? Do powerwalls need internet or cell service to charge from solar?
One part was answered. :)

How long it lasts depends on how much you use or how much minimum usage you can live with. A battery is good for about 13kWh. You need to discover how much you use overnight when family is asleep then start adding up what you need in the daytime to survive for the long haul.

I was wondering how many Power walls people have and how long they can keep the power on without any Solar generation? Do powerwalls need internet or cell service to charge from solar?
As an example, our baseline usage is about 0.4kW, that we can turn down to about 0.2kW, if needed. That is 9.6-4.8kWh/day, meaning a Powerwall would us last 1.4-2.8 days with no solar.

As @charlesj wrote, it is all about what your consumption is. If you expect to want to cool or heat your house, you will probably want to invest in quite a bit of insulation to reduce the thermal input/output. Just adding more electrical storage or more solar is probably not the most effective solution, especially if your expected use case is a hurricane or winter storm...

All the best,

BG

One part was answered. :)

How long it lasts depends on how much you use or how much minimum usage you can live with. A battery is good for about 13kWh. You need to discover how much you use overnight when family is asleep then start adding up what you need in the daytime to survive for the long haul.

As an example, our baseline usage is about 0.4kW, that we can turn down to about 0.2kW, if needed. That is 9.6-4.8kWh/day, meaning a Powerwall would us last 1.4-2.8 days with no solar.

As @charlesj wrote, it is all about what your consumption is. If you expect to want to cool or heat your house, you will probably want to invest in quite a bit of insulation to reduce the thermal input/output. Just adding more electrical storage or more solar is probably not the most effective solution, especially if your expected use case is a hurricane or winter storm...

All the best,

BG

Yeah, I didnt try to answer "how long does it last" question because the answer (as you both said) is literally "It depends".

Wishing the best for everyone out in this and any other disaster situation.

A question for people. In such an event with potentially lengthy outages and restoration work, would you temporarily open the grid breaker at the meter to prevent getting hit with surges as homes came back online, or accidental transfer of solar power to the grid.

completely submerged for hours???.... i'm not buying that.
Based on the water lines on the PWs it looks like it came close to the top with maybe some splash over on top. Given the length of the storm it would be hard to believe that the water level came up to near the top of the PWs and receded in less than an hour. Since it was most likely flowing water and at least somewhat brackish it is impressive that they still work at all. Like I said I wouldn't count on them working much longer nor would I have even attempted to turn them on until opening them up, thoroughly flushing them out, and letting them dry out which is hard to believe happened given the elapsed time.

I hope their LBs have weep holes.

I live east of J'ville, and we've been without grid power for 24 hours. Thankfully, the temperature was in the 60s last night and only in the 70s today. So, we didn't need to run our a/c. I have two powerwalls and have been running most of the house off of them; started at 98% charge and got to 60% this morning. Would have been around 40% if we had run the a/c. Right now, the sun has finally begun to shine so back up to 90% charge--using the option to charge my car off-grid so I don't waste too much solar energy. If the sun continues to shine, could probably go on for a long time. We're hoping to be back on the grid later tonight, though.

I was going to say neither powerwalls nor a generator are going to do much good when they are submerged, but saw this article:

I wouldn't put much trust in their reliability after that.
The battery side is rated at IP67, i.e. waterproof, but the communication and power enclosure is only rain resistant, (NEMA 3R)/IP56.
Personally, I wouldn't want to be the person rinsing out the Powerwall. I agree that I wouldn't want to put much faith in their reliability after an immersion in brackish or salt water.

I would worry much more about the state of the household wiring and salt deposits on wire connections and outlets.

Reactions: h2ofun
The battery side is rated at IP67, i.e. waterproof, but the communication and power enclosure is only rain resistant, (NEMA 3R)/IP56.
Personally, I wouldn't want to be the person rinsing out the Powerwall. I agree that I wouldn't want to put much faith in their reliability after an immersion in brackish or salt water.

I would worry much more about the state of the household wiring and salt deposits on wire connections and outlets.
Seems like they would need to cut open the walls to at least where the water was and redo everything that got wet. Wiring, HVAC, batteries, maybe plumbing, ...

Seems like they would need to cut open the walls to at least where the water was and redo everything that got wet. Wiring, HVAC, batteries, maybe plumbing, ...
I wonder just how much credence we want to give to a tweet? I think the lower right hand picture shows the entry way to the house with an arch just to the left of the garage door. I think the PWs are just inside that entry way. The two exterior pictures of the house don't seem to show a perceptible water line, which makes me wonder how high the water went. Of course I wasn't there, but my skeptical mind finds this a little difficult to take this tweet at face value.

I wonder just how much credence we want to give to a tweet? I think the lower right hand picture shows the entry way to the house with an arch just to the left of the garage door. I think the PWs are just inside that entry way. The two exterior pictures of the house don't seem to show a perceptible water line, which makes me wonder how high the water went. Of course I wasn't there, but my skeptical mind finds this a little difficult to take this tweet at face value.
I did have the same thought too in regards to the front exterior not showing any water line and everything looking cleaner than I would have expected. My first thought was that maybe the rain washed it away after the water receded and the PWs were sheltered from the rain in the alcove. But yeah good to be skeptical of random things on the internet.