Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Taptes Gen 2 charge pad arrived

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I received and installed my Gen 2 Taptes charging pad. The batch of them arrived to Los Angeles and cleared customs over the weekend. I might be the first to install it.

The fit and finish is very good - it came with 2 usb splitters as well as short cables for the pad itself. The splitters have a power-only wire and a power/data wire. My Raspberry Pi Teslacam is happy sharing on a data side.

Previously, I had the thin disc type chargers. They were hit-and-miss lately, but the Taptes pad is working really well. It has indicators for which side is charging. Both indicators light if you put the phone along the bottom sideways, and the phone shows charging much quicker than it did when the disc worked.

No tape or other kludges to fit the pad - it is molded just like the bottom of the Tesla soft pad that it replaced. I highly recommend this upgrade if you have $50.

I received and installed my Gen 2 Taptes charging pad. The batch of them arrived to Los Angeles and cleared customs over the weekend. I might be the first to install it.

The fit and finish is very good - it came with 2 usb splitters as well as short cables for the pad itself. The splitters have a power-only wire and a power/data wire. My Raspberry Pi Teslacam is happy sharing on a data side.

Previously, I had the thin disc type chargers. They were hit-and-miss lately, but the Taptes pad is working really well. It has indicators for which side is charging. Both indicators light if you put the phone along the bottom sideways, and the phone shows charging much quicker than it did when the disc worked.

No tape or other kludges to fit the pad - it is molded just like the bottom of the Tesla soft pad that it replaced. I highly recommend this upgrade if you have $50.
Glad to hear you like it. I'm waiting for mine to arrive.

Can you post a picture of what it looks like? Is it essentially the same thing as the Jeda Gen 2 pad?

7.5 W as of iOS 11.2.
Actually, just because iPhone supports 7.5W does not mean it will always charge at 7.5W. TapTes is using a a 5V supply from the USB and most wireless chargers at faster rates requires a 9V supply.

I suspect that TapTes Gen2 is charging at 5W or even lower - which is much slower than using a wired USB (which would be at 12W).

Actually, just because iPhone supports 7.5W does not mean it will always charge at 7.5W. TapTes is using a a 5V supply from the USB and most wireless chargers at faster rates requires a 9V supply.

I suspect that TapTes Gen2 is charging at 5W or even lower - which is much slower than using a wired USB (which would be at 12W).

Sorry, misread the question. According to the product it lists 5V/2A in and 5V/1-1.5A out. I am guessing with 1 phone charging it can theoretically achieve 7.5W and 5W with 2 phones. Attaching a portable power bank can get you 10W charging (at 9V) for the Samsung.