Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

TAPTES Gen 2 wireless charging pad - 10W?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I am confused about the charging capability with the wireless pad. I just switched from a Samsung S7 to a Pixel 3. The Samsung with a 3.0 18W quick charger plugged into the lighter adapter would fully charge the phone in about an hour from no charge. I have not used wireless charging before and the M3 setup is the only reason I see it feasible. Also, due to the convenient ports for charging being the USB ports in the front and USB being limited compared to the high voltage lighter port there is less concern that I am giving up a lot of charging ability using a pad compared to plugging in. Going from 18W to 10W isn't going to be a deal breaker but going down to 5W is and I will stick with the lighter port plugged in.

So, that all being said I am unclear if I can at least get 10W charging from the pad for a Pixel 3. TapTes said this response to a question on their gen 1 on Amazon which confuses me further, "Tesla front ports' voltage is only 5V, so the charging speed is 5W Output, restricted by the QI Agreement, so there is no way to get fast charging speed with Tesla front ports".

Pixel 3 and 3XL phones can only get fast wireless charge rates (10W) on "made for google" certified wireless chargers.

I don't think there are many certified chargers to date (2?). So I am almost 100% certain that you will only get 5W with this wireless charger.

• Informative
Reactions: DDotJ