Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Technology Review: JB Straubel of Tesla Motors Named Innovator of the Year

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The main article is here:
Technology Review: TR35

JB%20_Straubel%20.jpg

I know bits and pieces of Tesla history that suggests that Martin should have gotten some of the credit for some positive things in that article, but it doesn't seem worth downplaying the huge contributions that JB (and team) made. The fact is that the digital motor controls are working now and are probably the best in the business. I think JB does deserve to be honored.

Last edited by a moderator:
I wonder if those videos of VP13 were old?
JB talks about it being "the fastest car in our fleet at the moment", and says it had the old transmission but with the 850AMP PEM+eMotor. ( Sounds like a risky combination! ) I suppose the 1.5 eMotor with the old 2 speed would be the fastest car (even more than the full 1.5 single gear), but probably not expected to have the transmission last very long.

We know there is at least one full drivetrain 1.5 Roadster in Europe right now, so why would they be piecing together a partial 1.5 in the USA now? (Further reason to suspect that the video is old).
Was that an old video of early 1.5 testing in VP13 even before they put the full 1.5 in VP12?

VP11 had the old Blaupunkt in that video but I know it has the new JVC now.

Last edited:
)
We know there is at least one full drivetrain 1.5 Roadster in Europe right now, so why would they be piecing together a partial 1.5 in the USA now?

I could argue both sides. My first inclination is to think the the first car to get 1.5 would be the "test bed" car. That's what it's for.

A lesser liked theory (by me) says put the 1.5s in cars that will be putting thousands of miles on them.

All this pre-supposes that the 1.5 tranny is scarce.