Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Teen driver re DL test ?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
As someone who got his permit in a Model S the day after my mother took delivery (the only car we own by the way) I don't see what the big deal is about. The lady who gave me the test was about as interested in the car as a polar bear in vector calculus. She did cover the backup camera screen with her clipboard when I had to reverse into a parking space, but other than that we drove around the block at 25mph, stopped at a few lights, a stop sign and changed lanes, then it was over and I got my license the same day. If she has more time behind the MS then don't bother with the behemoth of an SUV.

On a slightly related note, I for one, can't wait for the day when we can the ditch the infernal combustion engine and it's associated rattle trap system of transmission, flywheel, and driveshaft. Electric motors don't need such contrivances and never will. Shifter? We don't need no stinkn' shifter.

No, that's a very silly argument.
Oh really, it's not just pointing out facts which you consider irrelevant? If you don't think it's important to be able to drive if you travel abroad, that's fine. I've found it very useful as I have traveled for business and pleasure.

That's an entirely different statement from above.
My original post that you responded to said " or indeed that the one you have will be functional when you need it" - that was what I was re-referencing as a valid state-side situation where you might need to be able to reverse without a camera.

Oh really, it's not just pointing out facts which you consider irrelevant? If you don't think it's important to be able to drive if you travel abroad, that's fine. I've found it very useful as I have traveled for business and pleasure.
Reading comprehension fail.

I went on to explain why it's a silly argument, giving specific examples, and showing that there are more important things about driving abroad than a backup camera; but you decided to only reply to the first line.

Whatever. There's a large chunk of the world where you can get auto not stick these days. Thought I was helping by adding perspective, apparently not.

The OP is talking about taking a driver's test in Texas, therefore, the only relevant skills that his daughter need display are those that are relevant to the state of Texas' driver's test. What does how they drive in another part of the world have to do with being able to pass a driver's test in Texas? It isn't the DPS officer's job to make sure she'll be okay to drive in Botswana. If you want to make the argument that his daughter should be taught the proper skills that will enable her to drive her car anywhere she goes, that's a one point, but the point here is that we're not talking about a driver instruction course, we're talking about a driver test. The instruction has supposedly already happened and the state of Texas is now determining if she can match the requirement to be licensed to operate a motor vehicle in Texas, not "the world".

Reactions: Max*