Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Teen driver re DL test ?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Good morning.

I'm curiius what folks think about a teen taking their driving test for license in a Model S?

In my scenario, the alternative would be to test in a large SUV (Currently our other vehicle).

She (the teen) had been learning in the car (Prius) we traded for the MS. And doesn't have much time behind the queen of the SUV.

Btw, we have a reservation for a Model 3 that we plan to give to her. Estimated delivery is early '18.

Thanks in advance.

Good morning.

I'm curiius what folks think about a teen taking their driving test for license in a Model S?

In my scenario, the alternative would be to test in a large SUV (Currently our other vehicle).

She (the teen) had been learning in the car (Prius) we traded for the MS. And doesn't have much time behind the queen of the SUV.

Btw, we have a reservation for a Model 3 that we plan to give to her. Estimated delivery is early '18.

Thanks in advance.
I think it would be great particularly with the parallel parking test. ;)

It's a large car, and depending on the tester if she is supposed to look over her shoulder when going in reverse instead of using the camera she might have trouble with the small window. It does have great tech to keep her safe, just unknown if she will have to do something while on her test that the tech could do better.

Reactions: McRat
In our state, the driving test inspector will require the student to use NO electronic assistance, He covered up the rear view camera display with his clipboard. My son had to take the test twice because of it since all our cars have backup cameras.

Which is odd since back windows are not a requirement in our state, so backing up without the camera is dangerous.

Personally? I'd rent a Prius if possible.

Neither option sounds great, unfortunately.

Did she take a formal driver ed class? If so, you may be able to arrange for her to take the test in one of their vehicles. That's how I took my road test, back in the pleistocene.

Unfortunately, you can't have a permit driver drive a rental car without violating the terms of your rental. I guess you could ignore that problem just for the purposes of the driver's test, though. Know of a Prius you can borrow, maybe?

In our state, the driving test inspector will require the student to use NO electronic assistance, He covered up the rear view camera display with his clipboard. My son had to take the test twice because of it since all our cars have backup cameras.

Which is odd since back windows are not a requirement in our state, so backing up without the camera is dangerous.

Most state driving tests in the US are antiquated. Covering up a vehicle camera display just foolishly decreases the margin of safety. This kind of testing also trickles down into how much time teachers in drivers ed are forced to skew priorities. Driving instructors end up spending an inordinate amount of time on a low risk maneuver, such as parallel parking, only because it's a big deal on a state licensing test. Think about the actual occurrence rate of crashes that take place while performing parallel parking (it's extremely low!). Contrast that with the lack of time spent on high risk driving experiences, such as maintaining control of a vehicle at higher speeds and proper space management techniques. Most state DMVs could use a testing criteria overhaul, then driver education instructors could focus more on teaching driving skills that help keep people alive.

Do they still require a parallel parking test? Don't know about Texas, but I seem to recall when my kids took the CA DMV driving test 12-15 years ago, it was "dumbed-down" from when I took it in the early '70s.

No parallel parking anymore in Calif. They do a backing test.

IIRC, they made him pull to the curb, stop with the wheels pointed in the correct direction, set the emergency brake, release it, then back up a few car lengths without hitting the curb or exceeding 18" away. I think that's what he told me, I wasn't there.

He was tagged twice. He did not know the parking brake is also called an emergency brake, and when he was done backing, he was too far from the curb. The car he was driving has large rear pillars and poor rear vision (2016 Volt). I'm the one who told him to use the camera for safety. My fault. I also did not tell him that the parking brake used to be called the emergency brake back when the Flintstones was a prime time TV show.

Most state driving tests in the US are antiquated. Covering up a vehicle camera display just foolishly decreases the margin of safety. This kind of testing also trickles down into how much time teachers in drivers ed are forced to skew priorities. Driving instructors end up spending an inordinate amount of time on a low risk maneuver, such as parallel parking, only because it's a big deal on a state licensing test. Think about the actual occurrence rate of crashes that take place while performing parallel parking (it's extremely low!). Contrast that with the lack of time spent on high risk driving experiences, such as maintaining control of a vehicle at higher speeds and proper space management techniques. Most state DMVs could use a testing criteria overhaul, then driver education instructors could focus more on teaching driving skills that help keep people alive.

I disagree. Parallel parking is a good way to learn to judge the distance from objects in a low-risk environment. New drivers (and their instructors) should spend a lot of time on that before moving on to more complex tasks like high-speed maneuvers. It's the same with any area of study; walk before run, right? Besides, what if the trainee at some point has to drive a vehicle without {insert favorite electronic aid}.

Maybe I'm just old-fashioned. I also happen to think it's useful to do math in my head (i.e., without a calculator).

Reactions: JohnnyG
Indeed, parallel parking should not be eliminated from drivers ed. It's still a useful skill. Although, it should only be taught after students learn appropriate vehicle reference points, preferably in a mostly empty lot with parking lot, lined with standard striping. In that environment the use of distant visual cues, turns, feathered stops and accelerating are just a few of the novice exercises that can be practiced. In the case of parallel parking, students can safely exit their vehicle and get immediate feedback. With practice, consistently parking a distance of 6 to 12 inches from the passenger side stripe will also help novice drivers to avoid contracting a dreaded curb rash!

Reactions: JohnnyG
Most state driving tests in the US are antiquated. Covering up a vehicle camera display just foolishly decreases the margin of safety
Not really. Just because the car you own has a camera does not mean every vehicle you drive will have one, or indeed that the one you have will be functional when you need it. Just because the technology is there, does not mean we should breed dependence on it. Reversing safely is a basic required skill.

Not really. Just because the car you own has a camera does not mean every vehicle you drive will have one, or indeed that the one you have will be functional when you need it. Just because the technology is there, does not mean we should breed dependence on it. Reversing safely is a basic required skill.
Somewhat true, for now... NHTSA is mandating backup cameras in all vehicles starting 2018.

Weirdly, this reminds me of issues with students taking driving tests using their parents' Prius (Prii?) back in the early 2000s. The concern was that the ICE engine shuts off when the Prius comes to a stop at an intersection, and it makes it look like the student just "killed" the engine, which in some jurisdictions was an automatic fail. 10-15 years later, the Prius is the "mainstream" car. How quickly times change...

Bruce.

Just have her take the test on an old late 80's stickshift BMW. That should be the baseline for anyone getting a license IMO. You don't get "automatic" cars in any shape or form when traveling to other places in the world.

Somewhat true, for now... NHTSA is mandating backup cameras in all vehicles starting 2018.
NHTSA does not cover the world - if you want to stay in the US, and only be able to drive new cars - sure. If you want to drive in the rest of the world, especially under developed countries - plan on needing to reverse without a camera. And as I said, equipment fails.

NHTSA does not cover the world - if you want to stay in the US, and only be able to drive new cars - sure. If you want to drive in the rest of the world, especially under developed countries - plan on needing to reverse without a camera.
No, that's a very silly argument.

If you're following that logic, every state should have the drivers test include a portion where you can show that you can drive a manual transmission. Because most of the world drives manual. Yet, here in America, many people take their exams in automatic transmission cars.

In addition, every state structures their driving tests slightly differently. When I was growing up in NYC, you had to parallel park - if you hit the curb you failed. My wife took her drivers license test in the 'burbs of Boston, all she had to do was pull up to the curb and stop. Didn't even have to backup. I had to teach her how to parallel park after we met.
If your argument is that the test should include all scenarios because "the rest of the world" does it differently, the test should be at least standardized that ALL of America does it one way.

And as I said, equipment fails.
That's an entirely different statement from above.

Reactions: Nikxice

I love this suggestion and I'd echo it. It seems like she'd feel the most comfortable in the Prius too. If renting the car or borrowing a neighbor's isn't an option, I'd go with the SUV. It's likely just as large as the S (in terms of footprint) but she'll have better visibility being higher up with larger windows too.