Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

TEG with 1.44.x

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
On Sunday when I found out about the wind storm when the wind storm started, I rushed over to verify I had backup power (I was down to 30%) so I raised my backup reserve on the PowerWalls, then I made sure some of the solar energy would go into the batteries (since I can't induce the batteries to charge from grid). That turned out to mean I had to spend a few hours washing off the layer of dry slime that was covering my panels, and that almost doubled my solar output. I had 100% by early afternoon. Our power never went out, but over half of our county lost power, so it wasn't entirely unfounded; on the other side of the valley I live next to, they had no power for 36 hours. Tesla never went into storm mode despite it being clearly and entirely abundantly clear that it was definitely and in every way a storm which would make the power go out.

I was wondering the same thing as you: would it fail to update again? I have updated the % power reserve twice since that time: one to charge up for the storm, and that worked; and once again when the storm was gone to return to normal use, and that worked.

That is because in a previous situation, updating did not work on a previous version, getting stuck at 100% after that storms, so I called technical support, and they forced a version upgrade, and since then, it has updated for me.

My next battery system will be one I can control, and not one where I have to call some corporation's technical support in order to control my own battery.

It definitely fixed the problem I saw, which didn't exist early on with 1.43 but seemed to pop-up over time. I hit a period where I changed the Reserve in the app, and it showed on the app, but the PW kept acting like it was still using the old Reserve. That went away with 1.44, though it's difficult to say whether it was really fixed by the FW, or if it was just the reboot that came because of the FW update, and perhaps just rebooting the Gateway was all I would have needed to do (others reported that the reboot worked for them with 1.43, I just never bothered to try).

Reactions: Ulmo
It definitely fixed the problem I saw, which didn't exist early on with 1.43 but seemed to pop-up over time. I hit a period where I changed the Reserve in the app, and it showed on the app, but the PW kept acting like it was still using the old Reserve. That went away with 1.44, though it's difficult to say whether it was really fixed by the FW, or if it was just the reboot that came because of the FW update, and perhaps just rebooting the Gateway was all I would have needed to do (others reported that the reboot worked for them with 1.43, I just never bothered to try).
The Tesla tech support that fixed it for me by upgrading the software told me exactly the same thing you said: they're not sure what caused it, how it triggered to fail, what triggers it to succeed, etc., but the upgrade itself seems to sort of push it along, and the newer version works better. He said sometimes upgrading helps because of the better software, and sometimes he thinks it helps just because the unit is rebooting. Not having a new version available to upgrade to becomes an impediment to a solution in that case, he said, and that's one reason they like to keep everyone at least one or two versions behind just in case this happens. He said it's a kind of play it by ear kind of thing. If I were him, I'd be doing the same thing (if I wasn't allowed to diagnose the actual software). I wonder who is on the actual software team that writes that code; that's where I'd like to fix it. I, like you, had worsening results with updates from the app to the PowerWall settings during 1.43, and 1.44 is better again. I've also had similar problems to a lesser degree before 1.43. Knock on wood, 1.44.3 has been better.

I don't know when mine updated to 1.44.4 - only in the last day or two.

It seems they've fixed the charging priority - 1.43 used to send a lot of excess solar out to grid early in the day, despite the battery being less than 30% and needing some charge. It would then switch to finally directing the excess into the battery later in the afternoon, with the obvious flaw that if the clouds rolled over in the afternoon the battery would go into night with little charge.
Today, on 1.44.4, it sent the excess to the battery until the battery was at 100%, then directed the excess to the grid, as I wanted and expected - so I'm calling the update a success.

I don't know when mine updated to 1.44.4 - only in the last day or two.

It seems they've fixed the charging priority - 1.43 used to send a lot of excess solar out to grid early in the day, despite the battery being less than 30% and needing some charge. It would then switch to finally directing the excess into the battery later in the afternoon, with the obvious flaw that if the clouds rolled over in the afternoon the battery would go into night with little charge.
Today, on 1.44.4, it sent the excess to the battery until the battery was at 100%, then directed the excess to the grid, as I wanted and expected - so I'm calling the update a success.

I saw some similar behavior in cost-savings mode (send some excess solar to the grid during partial peak, even if the battery wasn't close to full) on 1.44.3 and some earlier versions. Tentatively I'd say that it did this on 1.43.x also.

Got updated to 1.44.4 yesterday morning, and for the rest of the day it behaved more according to expectations (send excess solar to the battery during partial peak until the battery is full).

So yeah I'd agree that 1.44.4 was an improvement (rather, it fixed a regression in prior versions).

Bruce.

Reactions: PBBear