Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tell me which model 3 to purchase and why (or why not)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I’m considering two 2018 model 3s, here’s the specs on both and I’m thinking buying “silver” is a no brainer. Yes, I know some folks are bullish on never buying rebuilt titled cars and neither car had supercharging (won’t be an issue for me)

Option 2 “silver”
2018 long range dual motor
37,004 miles
White premium wheels
Autopilot Computer: 2.5 Computer
Enhanced Autopilot included package
Premium Connectivity included package
Agreed price after driving it: $31.8k

Option 2 “black”
2018 long range single motor rwd
Stock aero wheels
44,751 miles, same packages as above
Asking $30k and includes Tesla home and mobile chargers.

“Black” is in better shape cosmetically (inside and out) and I prefer the aero wheels but that isn’t a real breaker for me. Not having to purchase chargers would be nice.

Overall, AWD dual motor for $1800 more with less miles seems like a no brainer choice.

Both drive fine and we’re recently inspected by Tesla service center.

Let it on me please!

Yes, I know some folks are bullish on never buying rebuilt titled cars and neither car had supercharging (won’t be an issue for me)

Both drive fine and we’re recently inspected by Tesla service center.
Anyone know if there a section, forum or user group, maybe even a comprehensive thread to read about all the different trials and tribulation details that come with a rebuilt titled car? Have a local M3P that looks interesting, not sure if I want the headaches despite the attractive price, have not seen enough information to understand what a person would really be in for knowing there are some significant drawbacks.

Anyone know if there a section, forum or user group, maybe even a comprehensive thread to read about all the different trials and tribulation details that come with a rebuilt titled car? Have a local M3P that looks interesting, not sure if I want the headaches despite the attractive price, have not seen enough information to understand what a person would really be in for knowing there are some significant drawbacks.
Post details about the car please. I’ve done a ton of research but would also like to hear from experienced folks.

Drive it. Get a carfax report (there’s several cheap ways to do that), ask owner if there’s service records, call local Tesla service center to see if they will give you any info about the car or inspection report.

Supercharger won’t work likely but that’s not a hard fix to enable CCS charging.

You mean beside the fact that tesla will not service it at all, for any price, there are very very very very very few other places that are competent to service an EV? Or do you mean the fact that you wont be able to supercharge it (free or otherwise) and its an EV so its not like you can just pull up to a gas station and put energy in it?

Anyone even asking "is a rebuilt / salvage title tesla for me?" is not the right person for that car. People who are willing to deal with all that, already know how all that will, or wont work.

You mean beside the fact that tesla will not service it at all, for any price, there are very very very very very few other places that are competent to service an EV? Or do you mean the fact that you wont be able to supercharge it (free or otherwise) and its an EV so its not like you can just pull up to a gas station and put energy in it?

Anyone even asking "is a rebuilt / salvage title tesla for me?" is not the right person for that car. People who are willing to deal with all that, already know how all that will, or wont work.
Get off the horse dude. I didn’t ask if a rebuilt title was right for me or not. I know the risks. I asked which of those options a person might consider over another.

As for Tesla not servicing it: that’s not true from what I’ve read and heard. More like it’s up to the service center itself.

As for super charging, I can replace the ECU with a unit that will enable fast charging effectively making super charging not an issue for me.

Get off the horse dude. I didn’t ask if a rebuilt title was right for me or not. I know the risks. I asked which of those options a person might consider over another.

As for Tesla not servicing it: that’s not true from what I’ve read and heard. More like it’s up to the service center itself.

As for super charging, I can replace the ECU with a unit that will enable fast charging effectively making super charging not an issue for me.

Im not talking to you, "dude". I am talking to the other person who asked " anyone have any feedback about buying a rebuilt title tesla" (the one I quoted). You do you, you mentioned in your first post you were happy with that so I have no feedback on that for you.

3 posts in and already you start with jumping on people trying to help …. Wow.

But he’s right, you know. Not having service and not having DCFC is a big deal.

Service especially. And yeah, you might get lucky and find someone in a service center willing to take mercy on you. Or, you may not.

Either way, two things folks here aren’t going to be able to help with.

So your question is really about which of these two cars — that none of us would recommend — should you take? My answer would be a Ford before driving a blacklisted Tesla.

Reactions: RSpanner
FWIW, I feel the OP in this thread falls directly into what I said in my other post in this thread:

The OP wasnt asking about whether a rebuilt title should be purchased, they wanted to know peoples opinions on which car. I assumed both of those were rebuilt titles, and for me the answer is "neither, there is no way I personally would own a rebuilt title", so I didnt answer regarding their question.

My post was directed at the person who asked "anyone have any feedback on the trials and tribulations on rebuilt / salvage titles?" Im not going to debate with someone on whether a SC is going to service a salvage title tesla or not, there is plenty of feedback here on that (for the most part its "no" but perhaps the OP has an in with someone).

Im also not going to debate whether they will keep CCS charging or not, even if they enable it. Some people have all fast charging shut down, others dont.

I was just telling @rotarypower101 the things I see people post about here with salvage vehicles. There are plenty of threads here about salvage support (or lack thereof). @rotarypower101 can search here for threads on salvage, plenty will come up.

Thats not what @Jstar97 asked though, which is why I specifically didnt address anything in their post even though for some reason they thought I did (even though I put in the post the quote I was replying to).

Reactions: XPsionic
FWIW, I feel the OP in this thread falls directly into what I said in my other post in this thread:

The OP wasnt asking about whether a rebuilt title should be purchased, they wanted to know peoples opinions on which car. I assumed both of those were rebuilt titles, and for me the answer is "neither, there is no way I personally would own a rebuilt title", so I didnt answer regarding their question.

My post was directed at the person who asked "anyone have any feedback on the trials and tribulations on rebuilt / salvage titles?" Im not going to debate with someone on whether a SC is going to service a salvage title tesla or not, there is plenty of feedback here on that (for the most part its "no" but perhaps the OP has an in with someone).

Im also not going to debate whether they will keep CCS charging or not, even if they enable it. Some people have all fast charging shut down, others dont.

I was just telling @rotarypower101 the things I see people post about here with salvage vehicles. There are plenty of threads here about salvage support (or lack thereof). @rotarypower101 can search here for threads on salvage, plenty will come up.

Thats not what @Jstar97 asked though, which is why I specifically didnt address anything in their post even though for some reason they thought I did (even though I put in the post the quote I was replying to).
You’re right, i didn’t realize your weren’t addressing me - I apologize for coming at you sideways and for misunderstanding.

I have read good and bad exerperiences with Tesla service and salvage. And who is to say with Tesla‘s track record they won’t software interrupt CCS DCFC even after I install the new ECU. I know some Tesla service service centers won’t do much unless you get the HV system recertification and that they will handle most other things. I also heard there will be more consumer friendly options for rebuilt owners as Tesla opens up more to the public.

that said, I do have concerns about the purchase for sure. I’ve wanted a Tesla since 2013 and didn’t allow myself to get in earlier before priced went up. I drove the “silver” car and did as much research as I could and I feel the dude is giving me a good deal.

The ques nobody can answer for me is “am I willing to take the risk?”

You’re right, i didn’t realize your weren’t addressing me - I apologize for coming at you sideways and for misunderstanding.

I have read good and bad exerperiences with Tesla service and salvage. And who is to say with Tesla‘s track record they won’t software interrupt CCS DCFC even after I install the new ECU. I know some Tesla service service centers won’t do much unless you get the HV system recertification and that they will handle most other things. I also heard there will be more consumer friendly options for rebuilt owners as Tesla opens up more to the public.

that said, I do have concerns about the purchase for sure. I’ve wanted a Tesla since 2013 and didn’t allow myself to get in earlier before priced went up. I drove the “silver” car and did as much research as I could and I feel the dude is giving me a good deal.

The ques nobody can answer for me is “am I willing to take the risk?”

Great response and thanks for clarifying what you’re after. And with that, an official hello and welcome to TMC! Hope you learn a ton and also become a great contributor here.

Serious question for you: what’s the “stretch” to, say, a RWD with clear title?

My opinion (which is worth what you paid for it — absolutely nothing!) is that the Supercharger network is one of the very best parts of owning a Tesla. It’s one of those things that you don’t realize how great it is till you don’t have it.

I’ve thought about other brand EVs (the Lyriq caught my eye for a second…) but no way would I leave SC behind. Absolutely no way.

So what would the cost be to get to a place where you’d have both SC and official support from Tesla? Every dime matters for sure but those two things are make or break in my book .., supercharging especially. I don’t need it all the time, but when I do, I do. And it’s kinda glorious in how well it works.

So let’s see if we can all brainstorm together in how to get you into a Tesla that you’d love instead of settling for.

Re
For that price you should be able to find a clean title , well maintained older year Model S that has all the known issues addressed. High miles preferred since known issues would be fixed.
really? I had not considered a model s.

Is there a list or wiki some where that I could learn more about said issues? Do you have a recommended year range and mileage to which I can narrow the search?

Great response and thanks for clarifying what you’re after. And with that, an official hello and welcome to TMC! Hope you learn a ton and also become a great contributor here.

My opinion (which is worth what you paid for it — absolutely nothing!) is that the Supercharger network is one of the very best parts of owning a Tesla. It’s one of those things that you don’t realize how great it is till you don’t have it.

I’ve thought about other brand EVs (the Lyriq caught my eye for a second…) but no way would I leave SC behind. Absolutely no way.

So what would the cost be to get to a place where you’d have both SC and official support from Tesla? Every dime matters for sure but those two things are make or break in my book .., supercharging especially. I don’t need it all the time, but when I do, I do. And it’s kinda glorious in how well it works.

So let’s see if we can all brainstorm together in how to get you into a Tesla that you’d love instead of settling for.

A new RWD standard range is too much for me. I just looked. And despite the risks I love the idea of getting AWD with over 300 mile range.

That said, somebody suggested an older model s with higher miles and all issues address (don’t yet know what that means).

I really really want to get into a Tesla and I’ve been telling myself no for waaay too long.

I am willing to accept the risks of a rebuilt so long as I can inspect the car closely. Hell, if I could get certified to work on the HV system I certainly would!

For that price you should be able to find a clean title , well maintained older year Model S that has all the known issues addressed. High miles preferred since known issues would be fixed.

I had no idea used model S went down to the 30k ish range.

@Jstar97 TMC has a very robust model S subforum. My two teslas are a model 3 and Y so I dont have a ton of input to you on model S, other than what I have read here spot checking stuff. I think the older ones sometimes have issues with HV battery, things like the auto presenting door handles, and things like the screen not working properly or yellowing.

The older ones are also less efficient from a wh/mi perspective, so they go less distance on a charge. I dont mean all have issues, just talking about things I have seen here.

might be a good idea to check in on our model S subforum and poke around there for some more info. Good luck with the search.