Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Telsa Model S 40kwh model, lots of options - SOLD

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
There is no stated amount of time. You just have to be the original owner of a new car (used do not qualify; only one rebate per car).

However, the IRS really doesn't want people flipping them just to get the rebate. It does say the car has to be "not for the purpose of resale". But intentions are hard to prove and the IRS has a history of assuming guilt in similar areas that suffer from a lot of fraud. I would think (though I am totally guessing) that if you keep it at least a year, you will have no problems. Less than a month, and you may well have the rebate taken away no matter why you sold it. Between a month and a year, it depends on your story and the IRS agent (assuming there is an audit). If you sold it and bought a used Prius because your company got sued 6 months after buying and went bankrupt, you may be OK. If you sold it and bought another Model S identical except for some small detail (and claimed another $7500 on that one), you may have an issue.

Last edited:
There is no stated amount of time. You just have to be the original owner of a new car (used do not qualify; only one rebate per car).

However, the IRS really doesn't want people flipping them just to get the rebate. It does say the car has to be "not for the purpose of resale". But intentions are hard to prove and the IRS has a history of assuming guilt in similar areas that suffer from a lot of fraud. I would think (though I am totally guessing) that if you keep it at least a year, you will have no problems. Less than a month, and you may well have the rebate taken away no matter why you sold it. Between a month and a year, it depends on your story and the IRS agent (assuming there is an audit). If you sold it and bought a used Prius because your company got sued 6 months after buying and went bankrupt, you may be OK. If you sold it and bought another Model S identical except for some small detail (and claimed another $7500 on that one), you may have an issue.
As you said there is no stated amount of time you must keep the car and its hard to prove intent.
There should not be any problems with theIRS, I could just say i wanted/needed the parking sensor feature that just happened to come out a week after i purchased it.
Or i can say i wanted a different color:biggrin:

Thanks for feedback. I looked at the incentive link on Teslas website. I got the impression you needed to keep the EV for 36 months.

What about the additional 2.500 incentive in California. Do you need to keep the EV for an specific minimum time?