Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

temp nema 5-15 extension cord 25 ft safe?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Would there be any issue to charge using a mobile connector that plugs into a nema 5-15 extension cord, up to 25 ft in length? I get that cheap and thin ones would be a fire hazard, so I would buy some thick extension cord but don't know what amp, gauge, or rating it needs to be to be safe. This is for level 1 charging on 5-15.

No, Tesla does not recommend using an extension cord, ever.

With that said.. if a person were do use a 25ft extension cord for an application of extended use with a high load on it, then a 12 gauge extension cord would be what is suggested. The lower the gauge wire, the bigger the wire size

Reactions: KJD
Would there be any issue to charge using a mobile connector that plugs into a nema 5-15 extension cord, up to 25 ft in length? I get that cheap and thin ones would be a fire hazard, so I would buy some thick extension cord but don't know what amp, gauge, or rating it needs to be to be safe. This is for level 1 charging on 5-15.
For travel, temporary use, it would be OK to use an extension cord for Level 1 charging (120V at up to 12 amps) provided the extension cord is kept as short as possible, is of good quality and not damaged. You could use a 14 gauge extension cord (rated for up to 15 amps at 60C, 12 amps maximum when charging) or a 12 gauge cord (rated for to 20 amps at 60C, 16 amps when charging). Never use a 16 gauge extension cord that is intended for powering low wattage such as holiday lights. For long term use you should not use an extension cord as over time the extension cord can easily become damaged, the connections no longer tight fitting.

Reactions: thefisch