Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla’s Supercharging Math

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Does anyone has the same experience that Tesla always overcharges the supercharging fee?

For example, my car’s reading says 48.2 kWh is used since last charge so I thought it would cost me 48.2 X $0.28 (that’s the rate for this particular supercharger at Daly City CA) = $13.50 to charge up to the same level (90%).

It ended up $16.50 for the session. I noticed it every single time, just the matter of how much higher they overcharge. Tesla is disgusting.

There's no loss converting from AC to DC? Then why is there so much heat coming from the inverter behind the wall? There definitely is loss.
And many of the car's numbers aren't as precise as you may think.

But since Tesla is definitely out to overcharge you, every thing I'm saying is probably moot

There's no loss converting from AC to DC? Then why is there so much heat coming from the inverter behind the wall? There definitely is loss.
Well of course there is but you are billed by the volts and amperes delivered to the car - not the VA delivered to the station transformer.

And many of the car's numbers aren't as precise as you may think.
Sorry, can't find the place in my post where I expressed an opinion as to the accuracy of the car's numbers.

But since Tesla is definitely out to overcharge you, every thing I'm saying is probably moot
If you think that then you probably do think they are charging you for excitation VARs too. The question then becomes how do they allocate those to the individual cars at the station.

I’ve been wondering about this a lot too. I have been doing a lot of testing but unfortunately I can’t really talk about it. I think Tesla collects a lot of data from multiple different points. The display in the car and the data that TeslaFi obtains is based on data from the battery BMS. NOT from the supercharger or any other point. So the display is showing actual power going into the power after losses.

car's reading of 'X kwh used since last charged' doesn't account for a lot of battery usage, such as when the car is parked and using sentry mode, when it's stopped and using the A/C, any preheating/precooling, and general crap tesla battery loss when idle.