Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Mustang Mach e GT charging at California Tesla supercharger

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I would argue that the Mach-e parking diagonal is actually better than parking completely within the lines. Those two stalls are unusable by a Tesla vehicle and by parking diagonal, the Ford driver is saving Tesla drivers from wasting their time pulling into one of those spaces only to find that they can’t charge there because of the Ford charge port location. Of course, when the Supercharger network is really open, people will have to figure out how to line up all the non-Tesla vehicles on one end of the row and Teslas on the other. This already happens in Europe.

Reactions: moa999 and Sellout
V3 has a liquid cooled cable so this won't work there. It is likely only designed to handle 150kw V2 which isn't liquid cooled.
Well, there's this from their product description:

"This is the only one which may safely be used at all Tesla chargers including Superchargers."

But maybe that was written before Superchargers hit 250kW.

That product's not available anyway (and hasn't been for a while, and likely won't be in the future).

Agree on the need for cooling, as without it the cables would need to be upwards of 1.5" diameter each (2000MCM).

Well, there's this from their product description:

"This is the only one which may safely be used at all Tesla chargers including Superchargers."

But maybe that was written before Superchargers hit 250kW.

That product's not available anyway (and hasn't been for a while, and likely won't be in the future).

Agree on the need for cooling, as without it the cables would need to be upwards of 1.5" diameter each (2000MCM).
They would only need to be the same size as V2 since those do not have cooling. The cable size difference between V2 and V3 is due to the liquid cooling.

Well, longer cable still means more resistance and thus more heat losses. I'm not sure how the greater surface area to dissipate the heat would counter that
Yes, but typically code doesn't require upsizing cable size for voltage drop/heat loss for distances under 25ft. And you answered your question, more surface area means more cooling which means less heat loss.

What should the Mustang driver have done? Not charge?
Imagine the problems vehicle owners needing more than one parking spot will encounter.
  1. Negative comments from those waiting to charge while unused stalls are being blocked.
  2. Arriving at a full charging station where there is a line and trying to get two empty stalls side by side.
My guess, they will avoid Tesla Superchargers. Is it possible for these drivers to buy an extension cord for Tesla SC?

Ford and all the other manufacturers need to sell a Tesla-approved EXTENSION. Blocking TWO stalls is not the solution. The other manufacturers need to move the charge port location in the future.
I doubt Tesla could get government regulatory approval on an extension cord to a liquid cooled cable that wouldn't be liquid cooled. Its not just a simple extension cord. Ford vehicles max out at 150kw according to the Ford post so this should be able to be done without cooling like V2 but the cord would likely have to be massive and the existing cord wouldn't be big enough so it wouldn't pass. I think the liquid cooling stops the discussion there. Tesla would have to replace all the V3 cables with cables that would allow the liquid cooling to pass through to the extension which would require a separate connection or complete redesign of the NACS/J3400 spec. Not happening. Maybe a licensed electrician familiar with this type of thing could chime in.

Not park diagonally across two spaces. As I covered later, even though that looks like its possible, it uses the next stall over instead of the usual Tesla spot meaning that even though the mustang would be in one spot, it would block two tesla spots.
It’s probably actually better that they parked as they did. since, nobody can use the space for the stall that they are using, and nobody can use the space that they are mostly parked in, so in order to make sure nobody even tries to park in one of the spaces - and not be able to use essentially the TWO SC’s that are being used/boxed out, they parked across. I know it’s looks like some passhat, but they might have done it so no Tesla’s pull in, figure out what’s going on, have to pull OUT again and find another SC. this way, nobody has to do that.

I doubt Tesla could get government regulatory approval on an extension cord to a liquid cooled cable that wouldn't be liquid cooled. Its not just a simple extension cord. Ford vehicles max out at 150kw according to the Ford post so this should be able to be done without cooling like V2 but the cord would likely have to be massive and the existing cord wouldn't be big enough so it wouldn't pass. I think the liquid cooling stops the discussion there. Tesla would have to replace all the V3 cables with cables that would allow the liquid cooling to pass through to the extension which would require a separate connection or complete redesign of the NACS/J3400 spec. Not happening. Maybe a licensed electrician familiar with this type of thing could chime in.
I think it is a nonstarter to have a liquid-extended cord. Rather, they'd either just install a longer cord with liquid cooling(and probably larger conductors).

An option MIGHT be to install a little logic in the extension to say "I can pass no more than N kilowatts" and intercept/override any statement from the car that might say "give me 250kw" if one were to use such an extension on a Tesla. The N might be constant(as much as 150, if the conductors were big enough, or smaller if they are not), or even auto-adjusting based on temperature sensors in the extension(the ends and a few along its length). I'm not knowledgeable enough about the available low-power signaling circuitry in a NACS connector to tell if either of these are at all possible.

I think it is a nonstarter to have a liquid-extended cord. Rather, they'd either just install a longer cord with liquid cooling(and probably larger conductors).

An option MIGHT be to install a little logic in the extension to say "I can pass no more than N kilowatts" and intercept/override any statement from the car that might say "give me 250kw" if one were to use such an extension on a Tesla. The N might be constant(as much as 150, if the conductors were big enough, or smaller if they are not), or even auto-adjusting based on temperature sensors in the extension(the ends and a few along its length). I'm not knowledgeable enough about the available low-power signaling circuitry in a NACS connector to tell if either of these are at all possible.
I don't think anybody is going to condone using an extension cord at a DC fast charger.

My understanding is that Tesla is planning to replace the V3 dispensers with V4 dispensers. These have longer cords and are centered on the stall, so should work for cars with ports on either side.

It may not be feasible to simply replace V3 cords with longer ones. The cooling system is likely designed for a maximum heat load based on the expected temperature rise at maximum charge current and ambient temperature. Adding significant cable length my result in V3 dispensers throttling back power much sooner during a charge. They may not be able to run 250 kW at all in summer temperatures. This is probably why they are going to change the dispensers out for V4 units.

I don't think anybody is going to condone using an extension cord at a DC fast charger.

My understanding is that Tesla is planning to replace the V3 dispensers with V4 dispensers. These have longer cords and are centered on the stall, so should work for cars with ports on either side.

It may not be feasible to simply replace V3 cords with longer ones. The cooling system is likely designed for a maximum heat load based on the expected temperature rise at maximum charge current and ambient temperature. Adding significant cable length my result in V3 dispensers throttling back power much sooner during a charge. They may not be able to run 250 kW at all in summer temperatures. This is probably why they are going to change the dispensers out for V4 units.
The vast majority of V3 sites cannot be changed to V4. The precast concrete. Asked are only compatible with the oval charge post of V3. The newer precast bases have a flat top to enable either charge post to be attached. V4 compatible have only née around a year or so, so 2+ years of V3 sites can’t be switched without major jackhammering and tearing up of concrete and pavement. This is a non starter for Tesla. If the right bases are installed it is a simple swap plus pulling a new cable of some sort (see sparks nv). Otherwise, they are what they are. It is just something we will have to deal with. Tesla owes nothing to other manufacturers to make it more convenient for them to charge at superchargers.

I hope Tesla, in addition to charging rate, charges an extra idle rate on all Ford Supercharger users for occupying two Tesla superchargers and for being one of the slowest charging vehicle. (incapable of 250 kW charging).