Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla’s trans-Canada Supercharger route goes live

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

ecarfan

https://electrek.co/2019/12/20/tesl...-route-goes-live-all-at-once-mostly-v3-250kw/

Impressive. Thank you Tesla! I plan on using that route someday.

100C7679-4B07-44B9-B52E-2E5DD622D7BC.jpeg

Not so fast. On site reports from yesterday evening ( Dec. 20) state that North Bay and others are still not working or powered up. Looks like fake news on supercharge.info >

Looks like Tesla updated their SC map this morning. There were a number of chargers not available last night that are now open. There are some gaps that makes it unclear whether it's viable to travel the entire route (especially during the winter).

That said, regardless - PROGRESS! This is still great news!

This is huge progress, even with the caveats. Winter will have a few cases of inadequate snow clearance and maintenance issues. That is part of life. The real story is that with TCH complete almost all of Canada's population has easy access to Supercharging plus Destination Chargers and non-Tesla networks. That eliminates one of the most powerful objections to buying a Tesla. Even SR and S60 can now travel the TCH Coast-to-coast. before somebody else points it out, since the official eastern terminus is in St John's, NL we do need a couple NL Superchargers to have consistent links to year around ferries. Even in NL there is enough charging, just not Supercharging plus enough Destination Chargers.

Zero doubt. I'm going to be taking this route next summer.

But who will brave the Xmas weather and try it THIS year??

This is Canada after all, they MUST know how to keep a road plowed. I would do it, but I am having trouble getting routing info from Tesla.com/Trips or ABetterRoutePlanner.com

View attachment 491003

Drove from Boston, MA to Calgary, AB in the middle of winter (along the northern TCH route) a few years ago; Cannonball-style minimum sleep and maximum driving in my Porsche 911 Targa 4S on winter tires, with just a single short unplanned delay in Winnipeg due to heavy snowfall, which too was cleared pretty immediately. Yup, driving on Canada's TCH in our Model 3 Long Range is coming up next soon, thanks Tesla!

I’m still hoping for SuperChargers in Comox Valley and Campbell River on Vancouver Island.

It is impractical to go much further north than Nanaimo without a CHAdeMO adaptor (which I have).
I didn't have much trouble driving to Port Hardy and back in June 2018. In fact I went Nanaimo to Port Hardy and back to Nanaimo all in one day. I was obviously just doing the drive for the adventure. The L2 chargers are pretty good, especially in Woss and Port Hardy. I also charged in Sayward.

Also, a cursory look at Plugshare shows there have been many chargers added to the route since I took my trip a year and a half ago.

Last edited:
Impressive and fantastic. Hoping to do the TC run next summer.

however I think we need at least one more location to make it true coast to coast.

our eastern most SC is Enfield, NS. Even if you top up 100% it is a stretch to make it from there to St. John’s via the Sydney ferry.

I would suggest one more site on Cape Breton Island, perhaps Port Hawkesbury? Top up there and you should end up with plenty of juice to make it to St. John’s, (assuring of course you take the long ferry ride to Argentia and not the short one to the west side of Newfoundland. Obviously we would need one or two more in Newfoundland to make it from the west side if you went that way.

I sent a suggestion for a Cape Breton site to Tesla HQ.

Last edited:
Impressive and fantastic. Hoping to do the TC run next summer.

however I think we need at least one more location to make it true coast to coast.

our eastern most SC is Enfield, NS. Even if you top up 100% it is a stretch to make it from there to St. John’s via the Sydney ferry.

I would suggest one more site on Cape Breton Island, perhaps Port Hawkesbury? Top up there and you should end up with plenty of juice to make it to St. John’s, (assuring of course you take the long ferry ride to Argentia and not the short one to the west side of Newfoundland. Obviously we would need one or two more in Newfoundland to make it from the west side if you went that way.

I sent a suggestion for a Cape Breton site to Tesla HQ.
You'd probably want at least 6 to enable travel across Newfoundland and maybe 2 or 3 more for the highway up to l'Anse-aux-Meadows.