Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla ‘Roadie’ New Sentry Mode plug-in

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Already done with a Raspberry Pi - works well...

marcone/teslausb

Same here. All in cost of the PI solution. About £60 including a high performance 128Gb SD card.
Took me a few attempts to get it working but now it is, it works perfectly.

Each sentry or dashcam save is 4 cameras and 10x1min clip per camera. That's 40x1 min video clips at ~ 30Mb each so every event is ~1.2Gb on disk.
Not such a problem on the in-car storage now the Tesla deletes oldest files when the disk is full but it requires some practical housekeeping on your home server/PC/NAS if, like me, you get about 16 sentry notifications every day.

Anyone found a suitable video combiner to put the files in to a single video showing all cameras? I use TeslaCam Video WebApp Player which does it dynamically but you can't save the video.

Anyone found a suitable video combiner to put the files in to a single video showing all cameras?
I'm using Tesla dashcam from here

To make life easier there's a Windows exe version in there too. By default it will find your usb drive and set itself away combining the videos into your videos folder but If you're even a little technically inclined take a look at the various operating parameters that you can choose.

I have mine setup to save in a custom dir, have slightly better quality than the defaul, use the latest ffmpeg instead of the included one, use my gfx card for hardware encoding, skip previously converted clips and auto-delete converted clips. save each video in its native resolution instead of being downsized.

To do this you create a config file with the required settings in it and save that in the same folder as the .exe.
Create a shortcut to the exe e.g. on your desktop
Edit the shortcut to include the config file in the target
"C:\Program Files (x86)\tesla_dashcam\tesla_dashcam.exe" "@settings.cfg"

I copied everything from the config info page and stuck a # (comment/ignore) at the start of each line then selected the ones I wanted to use.
The option to monitor a folder means you could leave the script running on a server and have it automagically pick the transferred TeslaUSB videos up once they've been transferred your your Raspberry Pi / Roadie device.

#active contents of settings.cfg
--layout FULLSCREEN
--scale 1280x960
--skip_existing
--quality LOW
--compression slow # slower and slowest crash the encoder
--gpu
--gpu_type nvidia
--ffmpeg "C:/Program Files/ffmpeg/bin/ffmpeg.exe"
--encoding x265
--fps 33
--output D:/Video/Dashcam/Tesla_Dashcam
--monitor_once SavedClips SentryClips RecentClips
--delete_source

• Informative
Reactions: Chalks99
Wow, thanks for all the links! I was looking at getting a Roadie too, but there's a massive wait time, 4 weeks for stock and then another 3 weeks for delivery.

Will you still be able to watch the videos after they have been stitched up on a mobile? Is there a way to upload the stitched videos to a dropbox or cloud storage?

Wow, thanks for all the links! I was looking at getting a Roadie too, but there's a massive wait time, 4 weeks for stock and then another 3 weeks for delivery.

Will you still be able to watch the videos after they have been stitched up on a mobile? Is there a way to upload the stitched videos to a dropbox or cloud storage?

I ended up with 2 due to my ordering incompetence. So I have one of the new slimline versions (fits Jeda hub) for sale. Cost me £105 inc import charges. Will sell for £90 inc postage if anyone is interested. Please message me