Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla 2-factor authentication now showing in accounts!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I got a response from TeslaFi and Stats App saying they're good-to-go. I also use A Better Routeplanner heavily and posted an inquiry in their forum but haven't seen a response as yet. I haven't tried logout out of anything but the Tesla app itself to see what happens.

EDIT: and in case it wasn't obvious, I use TeslaFi heavily also, and use the Stats App too, but not that often.

do you generate your own token for teslafi or login to let it generate one for you? What I am curious about is what happens when someone attempts to login to one of these "non tesla" apps, and whether it will trigger the 2FA, or what. Its more curiosity on my end since I dont use them, but I suspect that many that will turn this on, will, so thats the reason I was asking.

do you generate your own token for teslafi or login to let it generate one for you? What I am curious about is what happens when someone attempts to login to one of these "non tesla" apps, and whether it will trigger the 2FA, or what. Its more curiosity on my end since I dont use them, but I suspect that many that will turn this on, will, so thats the reason I was asking.
I used my Tesla credentials to connect TeslaFi, Stats App and ABRP to my car. I think TeslaFi allows you to generate and use your own token, but not the other two. I can't recall the last time I needed to authenticate TeslaFi with my Tesla account. Also don't recall on the other two, but I think ABRP was more often (usually when I used a different browser).

• Informative
Reactions: jjrandorin
Question. I’m not seeing how this links. When I log into my Tesla account to add and go thru the process. It finally say to enter a password generated from the Authenticator app. But the 2 aren’t even linked yet. It’s like chicken or the egg. There’s no QR code to scan, etc. Not sure what the issue is but how can I enter a passcode when the Authentication App doesn’t have a link to my Tesla account?

Question. I’m not seeing how this links. When I log into my Tesla account to add and go thru the process. It finally say to enter a password generated from the Authenticator app. But the 2 aren’t even linked yet. It’s like chicken or the egg. There’s no QR code to scan, etc. Not sure what the issue is but how can I enter a passcode when the Authentication App doesn’t have a link to my Tesla account?
We had no problem setting it up. Just log into your account, go to Account, click on Manage under Multi-factor Authentication, click Next, sign in again and then scan the QR code. Once you scan the QR code in your Authenticator app you are sent to a screen on the website and asked to enter the passcode from the Authenticator app.

If you aren't seeing those screens, what are you seeing?

Reactions: jjrandorin
Hey, so I see the same until I select next and sign in again. At that point you see a QR code to scan. I see a screen telling me to enter the passcode from the Authenticator. But the Authenticator is still looking to get the initial details about the account I’m setting up. It’s like it stuck in a loop. Ive tried everything I can think of but I got nothing.....

Hey, so I see the same until I select next and sign in again. At that point you see a QR code to scan. I see a screen telling me to enter the passcode from the Authenticator. But the Authenticator is still looking to get the initial details about the account I’m setting up. It’s like it stuck in a loop. Ive tried everything I can think of but I got nothing.....
What Authenticator app are you using? We used Google Authenticator and didn't have to enter anything. We just scanned the QR code and it automatically created a new entry for Tesla for the account email address and displayed the passcode.

Perhaps try a different browser?

The two-device limit is a problem for me, as I have my phone and my two grown-up kids that use my account (3 devices). Guess no-one at Tesla has kids? :)
You can use multiple devices with the same QR code if you set them up at the same time (or possibly do a screenshot of the QR code). See video in post #27 above.

Alternatively, you can have your kids set up their own Tesla accounts and then share the vehicle with them and they can access it via their own Tesla accounts.

You can use multiple devices with the same QR code if you set them up at the same time (or possibly do a screenshot of the QR code). See video in post #27 above.

Alternatively, you can have your kids set up their own Tesla accounts and then share the vehicle with them and they can access it via their own Tesla accounts.

Hmm interesting, I wasn't aware of the "share vehicle" option, I'll look into it.