Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2 factor authentication on iphone

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm a little freaked out. I was looking at my Tesla account and thought that two factor authentication was that I would get a text with the code. Some things popped up on my Iphone with a code and I used it. But I don't have a third party authenticator app. Now can't get a code. Where is the app on the iphone? What can I do???

I dont understand what you are saying, sorry. "Some things popped up on my phone with a code" is to vague to try to help you.

Teslas directions for setting this up are online, here:

====================

Set up Multi-Factor Authentication
You must register at least one mobile device to enable multi-factor authentication for your Tesla Account. You will need your account credentials, a mobile device and a third-party authenticator app to complete the set-up process.
====================

So, how did you complete the setup? The answer to that is in the "some things popped up on my phone with a code".

As. for "what can I do?"

You can contact Tesla for assistance, like someone did in the following thread here:

I dont understand what you are saying, sorry. "Some things popped up on my phone with a code" is to vague to try to help you.

Teslas directions for setting this up are online, here:

====================

Set up Multi-Factor Authentication
You must register at least one mobile device to enable multi-factor authentication for your Tesla Account. You will need your account credentials, a mobile device and a third-party authenticator app to complete the set-up process.
====================

So, how did you complete the setup? The answer to that is in the "some things popped up on my phone with a code".

As. for "what can I do?"

You can contact Tesla for assistance, like someone did in the following thread here:

Thank you!!!

I think I really messed up. I'm not stupid but I never knew what an authenticator app was. I've been using one for work but I didn't know it was called that. Anyways, that one wasn't used this time. I have an Iphone 12. I scanned the little square bar code that showed up on my monitor of my laptop when enabling the 2 factor authentication. Then I clicked on what was on my phone screen. Typed in a 6 digit number on my laptop and I was done. Now I don't know how to get that 6 digit number to show up on my phone again.

I just changed my password on my account, and in doing so my Tesla account on my laptop wants the 6 digit number so I am stuck there.
So I tried my Tesla app on my phone and used the new password. Then it wanted the 6 digit number but some little box came up with stored numbers or something, I'm a bit freaked out to remember exactly. Anyways I pressed it and was able to open the Tesla App. So that's where I am now. I don't know what I am doing!!!

Start with looking at whatever 2 factor application you mention you use for work. It sounds like you registered with some authenticator app but dont know which one.

Try going to your iphone, and from your normal home screen (while unlocked) pull down on the screen to search for apps on your phone, and type "Auth" in the search box. When I do that on my iPhone (13) I have 3 apps show up. 2 of them are actually third party authenticator apps I use, one from Google (called "Authenticator") and one from Microsoft also called "authenticator").

I also dont know why you changed your password on your Tesla account in the middle of trying to deal with this authenticator issue. Its not something I would have done, because it can appear like "someone else" got control of your account, and is now trying to access it... but running into the 2 factor authentication which is EXACTLY what this is supposed to prevent.

In other words, changing your password in the middle of this makes it look like someone who doesnt have proper access is trying to access your car, and running into the two factor authentication.

Start with looking at whatever 2 factor application you mention you use for work. It sounds like you registered with some authenticator app but dont know which one.

Try going to your iphone, and from your normal home screen (while unlocked) pull down on the screen to search for apps on your phone, and type "Auth" in the search box. When I do that on my iPhone (13) I have 3 apps show up. 2 of them are actually third party authenticator apps I use, one from Google (called "Authenticator") and one from Microsoft also called "authenticator").

I also dont know why you changed your password on your Tesla account in the middle of trying to deal with this authenticator issue. Its not something I would have done, because it can appear like "someone else" got control of your account, and is now trying to access it... but running into the 2 factor authentication which is EXACTLY what this is supposed to prevent.

In other words, changing your password in the middle of this makes it look like someone who doesnt have proper access is trying to access your car, and running into the two factor authentication.
So I think I lucked out. Since I was able to get into the Tesla app from my phone because my phone remembers stuff and auto fills in stuff I was able to log into my account with a browser on the phone and the phone autofilling the 2 factor number. I was able to remove my device from the 2 factor authorization. I think I am back to where I started but with a stronger password. I probably shouldn't've of changed that in the middle of this either.

So how do I do this the right way? You mentioned my work authenticator. That is Okta but that number did not work and does not have my car on it. Then there is the Iphone Apple ID verification code, this code did not work either. I have downloaded googles Authenticator on my Iphone. It has nothing attached to it. Should I try again using it? When I open it and click on Add a code it has the option to Scan a QR code. I remember the my account showing a QR code.

And why am I doing this? Is this just to log onto my account from my laptop? Will everytime I launch the app on my phone will I also need to launch the google Authenticator app?

Thanks so much for you help!!!

I use google authenticator for most things, and microsoft authenticator for my microsoft account (for my xbox, basically).

Those are just the ones I use, I am not saying they are "best" or anything.

You use 2 factor authentication to slow down / help prevent someone taking over your account, if your password is hacked. You dont have to use the 2 factor authentication every time you use the Tesla app on your phone, but would need to use it on a computer.

I think you can use icloud that way but am not sure as I dont use it that way and have not looked into it (and dont really have any desire to use it that way).

Is iCloud Passwords & Keychain a Authenticator?
In the last couple versions of iOS it is, and I somewhat suspect that is what the OP has accidentally used. They should look to see if there is an entry in the Passwords section of their phone's settings menu, it might be available there. Likely it would be called Tesla or Tesla.com or something similar, but the iPhone allows you to search for it. Once found I believe there is a "get code" option in it somewhere.

edit: or maybe "generate code" I don't have any setup at the moment so I cannot verify, but that's roughly how it works.

• Informative
Reactions: jjrandorin
After I learned what an Authenticator was I was successful. Thanks for your help. I'm disappointed with how Tesla expects you to know everything. When I picked up my car I was handed the cards and told welcome to the family and the guy just walked away. Thank goodness for this forum!

After I learned what an Authenticator was I was successful. Thanks for your help. I'm disappointed with how Tesla expects you to know everything. When I picked up my car I was handed the cards and told welcome to the family and the guy just walked away. Thank goodness for this forum!
The more I hear about it, the more I think I just got lucky. While my SA didn't walk me through things like authenticator tokens, he did spend almost 45 minutes with me going over the car, explaining anything I didn't understand in the menus, and even showing me all their other inventory cars so I could compare them (mine had a slight asymmetry in the rear quarter panels, my wife wanted to see how it compared to other cars. The answer was: really well, our car was nearly perfect compared to most of the others on the lot).