Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla 2020 M3 grocery problem

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi all,
Recently my wife ask me to look into how to make the trunk open when she is coming from the store with both her hands full of grocery bags. We have a Tesla 2020 that we bought last year in July. My goal is to install something to just open the trunk, nothing more, no fancy staff and any suggestions will be appreciated.
thanks guys

Ingenext has a bonus module for the M3 that has proximity sensors for the frunk/trunk.

Couple that with a pair of frunk stuts and you got a working combo.

//edit - Oops I misread it as front trunk and linked a pair of frunk struts, you'd essentially find the same for the trunk and it should do the job.

Last edited:
Someone posted about this kick sensor for Model Y, but not sure if there is a Model 3 version.
https://www.amazon.com/Hansshow-Kick-Sensor-Automatic-Trunk/dp/B08PJCLJ1J

Do you have the power trunk already standard or will you also have to install that?

There are people that have issues with it with sleep, and also someone mentioned they just use Siri and Apple watch, so if you have an IOS phone that may be an option too.
Hansshow kick sensor issues
Yes I do have the power trunk already installed, its part of the package when we bought the car and you can use it -opening the trunk from the screen inside the car or from your phone.
The problem is when both of your hands are occupied and you approach the car to place the grocery into the trunk.
Will Android phone work wirelessly opening the trunk without you physically using the app on the phone?
I don't have a clue how people do that.

How about if you have Android phone, can you do the same?
Integration with Google Home / Google Assistant - Now available for general use
There was something that used to work for Google Assistant, but Google broke it and refuses to cooperate to get it working again (if you have ever dealt with Google, when they make feature changes that breaks things, this is a very common response).

There's an app for Android wear, but without the Google Assistant portion it doesn't help your use case.
Wear for Tesla - Apps on Google Play

The Alexa version however might still work though (might work if you install on your phone). I haven't personally used it, so you can perhaps ask the OP for help on setting it up.
EV Car/My Tesla - An Alexa skill for Amazon Echo / Tesla integration
Note, to make Alexa work always on in your phone, you might have to both enable the setting in the Alexa app, and use Google Assistant to launch Alexa (after setting up Google Assistant to work without unlocking your phone).
How to Use the Alexa App Hands-Free
Command Google Assistant without bothering to unlock your phone

Last edited:
Ingenext has a bonus module for the M3 that has proximity sensors for the frunk/trunk.

Couple that with a pair of frunk stuts and you got a working combo.

//edit - Oops I misread it as front trunk and linked a pair of frunk struts, you'd essentially find the same for the trunk and it should do the job.
I would also recommend the Ingenext Bonus module which I have on 2021 M3 SR+. The automatic trunk/frunk feature uses the ultrasonic sensors on the drivers side. In the case of the automatic trunk, the ultrasonic sensor used is located just behind the drivers side rear wheel. You initially approach this sensor and place your leg within 1 ft. You will get visual indication of the rear left turn signal flashing. Once the the flashing stops, step back at least 2 ft from sensor and trunk then opens. This also relies on you using phone as a key as it detects proximity of bluetooth key to unlock this feature so people walking by don't activate trunk release. Ingenext is a Canadian company based in Quebec plus the bonus module provides more features including rear seat heater control from rear window control switches and drift mode;).

Reactions: Baytomax