Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla 22'' Onyx Black Turbine Wheel on Tesla Model S P85D from late 2015

Can I mount X 22'' Onyx Black Turbine Wheels on Tesla Model S P85D from late 2015?

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi there Tesla Fan's,

I have a Tesla Model S P85D from late 2015, and I would like to mount the Tesla X 22'' Onyx Black Turbine Wheels once I have ensured availability.

But does anyone if they fit? And how they respond when driving low hight suspension?

I have recieved some specs for the X 22'' Onyx Black Turbine Wheels:
- Front wheels: 22 x 9.0 +35 mm (1.378″) offset
- Rear wheels: 22 x 10.0 +40mm (1.575″) offset
- Front Tires: 265/35 ZR22
- Rear Tires: 285/35 ZR22

For the S 21" Turbine Wheel and Tire Package I only found this:
- Front wheels: 21 x 8.5 (no information about offset)
- Rear wheels: 21 x 8.5 (no information about offset)
- Front Tires: 245/35 ZR21 265/35 ZR22
- Rear Tires: 245/35 ZR21 265/35 ZR22

I would be very happy and grateful if anyone can share experience or knowledge.

Thank you all beforehand.

All the best,
Claus ROTHMANN
DENMARK

I don't know how the roads in Denmark compare to the roads in Atlanta, but upgrading to the 21" wheels on my MS was the biggest mistake that I have made in a long time. I can't imagine having 22" wheels. Yes I knew that 21" wheels don't get along well with potholes, but I rarely hit any potholes here. What I didn't realize is that EVERY pothole I hit caused damage, and I do hit them once in a while.

First pothole I hit (going <30mph) took out two tires and stranded me with two kids and no car seats 1.5 hours from home.

Second pothole I hit cracked one of my rims.

Now I have aftermarket 20" wheels and tires with no problems since. It is a heavy car, I don't think 21" is enough padding.

Hello there Kirkbauer,

Thank you very much for your contribution.

You are right - we really have to consider the purpose of our cars and which kind of feeling we are looking for.

I general DENMARK is a very well organized country. In any aspect. Some might say too much, however - The Danes are officially measures as the happiest and safe people on the globe. For more than 12 years in a row.

I know the US very well, including Atlanta. I really admire your country, and it is very different to DENAMRK. Would you ever fancy visiting DENMARK please get in touch with me, and I will show you around. Then you will understand.

I only wanna drive with 22'' in the 4-5 summer months we have in Denmark (May to August / September incl.), and only on our very straight tracks like the German Nurburgring Ring or the French Le Mans track. I am a former race car driver, and prefer precision before comfort.

When the roads get worse and slippery / icy from October to April I drive with Tesla standard 19'' mounted with Nokian Hakkapeliitta 8 - which you might know better form Alaska or at least Canada conditions.

However, do you think that the Tesla X 22'' will fit on my Tesla Model S P85D from late 2015?

All the best,
Santa Claus

(Our main continent in DENMARK is Greenland, and besides from that we also have Faroe Islands. In total 2.210.208 square kilometers. Just to compare a bit, this this is actually 50% of the total EU area. which is approx. the same size as US. The small bit with Copenhagen and Aarhus is just our HQ ;-)

Reactions: Cowby
The answer is simply no. You can't. The stock diameter of 21s with tires is 27.75" and if the castor is out to far to the front even these will rub the wheel well lining in a turn.

What you proposing has a diameter of 29.3" and will not fit in the wheel well and allow you to make anything more than a slight turn.

I tried for you, but I cannot find any tires, of any brand or performance category, that would do all of the following:

1. Clear the front wheel wells for turns with a 35mm offset
2. Maintain the proper overall tire diameter for the model S
3. In a 22" wheel size, either for square or staggered setup
4. Have a proper load rating for the model S

I got close in that I was able to get a set of summer tires in a square setup that met all requirements except the load rating (#4), but I can't recommend them as they can't hold the weight of the model S.

You're much better off doing a square or staggered setup on 21" wheels with performance summer tires, this will give you all the handling the model S can muster.

Hey Rothmann,

your setup should do well.

The Rim size / dimensions matches the Model S needs.
Previous reports suggest using 255/30-22 on the front, the back tyres can reportedly go up to 295 width without issue.

Check these threads for further info:
Model S With 22" Wheels & Tires * World's First*
Tesla Forum - Alt om Tesla Model S / Tesla Model X - Teslaforum.dk

No doubt there will be scuffing on the inside plastic wheelwells, but there are documented solutions (heatgun) to that issue.

Allways consult your local installer with your project, as tesla servicecenter will have nothing to do with an 'aftermarket' mod like this

- R

I tried for you, but I cannot find any tires, of any brand or performance category, that would do all of the following:

1. Clear the front wheel wells for turns with a 35mm offset
2. Maintain the proper overall tire diameter for the model S
3. In a 22" wheel size, either for square or staggered setup
4. Have a proper load rating for the model S

I got close in that I was able to get a set of summer tires in a square setup that met all requirements except the load rating (#4), but I can't recommend them as they can't hold the weight of the model S.

You're much better off doing a square or staggered setup on 21" wheels with performance summer tires, this will give you all the handling the model S can muster.

We agree with @SomeJoe7777, there's no tire company out there that has a properly load rated staggered tire setup. Customers asked us 3 years ago and we couldn't find any options then or now, which is why we pursued the route of #alloriginal = developing a wheel program that offers wheels that can be fitted with factory tires or properly load rated tires coupled with being compatible with factory hardware (caps, lug nuts, tpms).:)

Ressurecting an old thread in reverse....lol.

What do y'all think of using the Model S 21" Square/Staggered wheels on the Model X? Any issues I should be aware of?

Main issue: Are the 21" Turbine wheels loaded rated to @ 880kg or 1936lbs? Early 21" Turbines were already susceptible to cracking on the MS so imagine the added weight of an X. On the other end of the spectrum, the 22" Turbine wheels have a 880kg load rating (it's even engraved on the wheel).

Hey Rothmann, your setup should do well. The Rim size / dimensions matches the Model S needs. Previous reports suggest using 255/30-22 on the front, the back tyres can reportedly go up to 295 width without issue. Check these threads for further info:

Model S With 22" Wheels & Tires * World's First*
Tesla Forum - Alt om Tesla Model S / Tesla Model X - Teslaforum.dk
No doubt there will be scuffing on the inside plastic wheelwells, but there are documented solutions (heatgun) to that issue.
Allways consult your local installer with your project, as tesla servicecenter will have nothing to do with an 'aftermarket' mod like this
- R

Bolt Pattern: 5x120
Offset is 35
Center bore 64.1mm
Michelin PS2 tires 255/30/22
22"x9
"

upload_2017-2-11_10-44-43.png