Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla 3 Performance questions

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi All.

I am seriously thinking of buying a 3 Performance, but surprised as how little info there really is about the basic options included in the car price, and general information, I know there are loads of youtube videos, all seem to cover same thing.

I have had a quick look around one and will test drive next week, not a performance though.

At Present I am driving a Volvo XC60 T8 Hybrid

Can only one answer some basic questions please.

1/ Does the car have privacy glass on the rear windows, and tailgate.
2/ How good are the head lights? do they have a good spread of wide beam (especially to the left when dipped) and at high beam, I do quite a lot of night time driving, so lights are very important to me now.
3/ I gather no speed camera data base on the sat nav, anyone found a good solution apart from Mobile phone running apps. (no need to comment do not speed, sometimes you sort of in dream land going into a mobile doing 5 MPH over and forget)
4/ I have at present a type 2 pod point charger (to charge the Volvo) I assume that will plug in and charge the Tesla 3
5/ When orders have been placed is it best to go to dealer, or do it on line? and how soon are the cars coming through now on time?
6/ Quite disappointed that there is no cornering lights, anyone think that at a later date they will use the fog lights to light up at night when turning into junctions etc.
7/ I assume there is no 360º view around the car to see the kerb etc. when parking, what is the rear view camera like in the dark for reversing?
8/ What is the demising like etc. in damp conditions is it easy to keep window screen clear, I guess no one in the UK has used a 3 yet in the winter, wonder what it is like for de-icing the screen, does the screen wash ice up easily, block the jets and tubes on the wipers?
9/ When you preheat / cool cabin, and the car is plugged into a charger, does it use the mains electric, or drains the battery etc.
10/ I keep seeing the word Sentry what are you all talking about.

There are probably a load more but that is enough for the time being, thanks all in advance :)

1. No
3. possibly use web browser
4. Yes
5. Place order online (only option even instore), expect delivery 1-3 months as back orders have not been fulfilled yet
6. Possibly
9. uses the mains I believe
10. Its a security system that uses the cars cameras to record events, best to watch a video on youtube about sentry mode

11. You would have to be careful if your ordering the performance with the large brakes as not all wheels will fit because of the brakes and the performance wheels have a lip on them so this needs to be considered to have them fit properly

• Love
Reactions: jollie89
1/ Does the car have privacy glass on the rear windows, and tailgate.
No, but the trunk isn't exposed.
2/ How good are the head lights? do they have a good spread of wide beam (especially to the left when dipped) and at high beam, I do quite a lot of night time driving, so lights are very important to me now.
No problem for me, working well
3/ I gather no speed camera data base on the sat nav, anyone found a good solution apart from Mobile phone running apps. (no need to comment do not speed, sometimes you sort of in dream land going into a mobile doing 5 MPH over and forget)
If on autopilot, it will tend to keep speed and adjust speed when speed changes. Solves your "stated" issue another way.
4/ I have at present a type 2 pod point charger (to charge the Volvo) I assume that will plug in and charge the Tesla 3
If you have a J-1772 plug, then yes. You will have to use the adapter. It's less convenient, but gets you started.
5/ When orders have been placed is it best to go to dealer, or do it on line? and how soon are the cars coming through now on time?
At the store (there aren't dealers), you do it online. They may be able to see inventory and help a little at store.
6/ Quite disappointed that there is no cornering lights, anyone think that at a later date they will use the fog lights to light up at night when turning into junctions etc.
Hasn't been an issue for me. But when the car is driving, I don't care
7/ I assume there is no 360º view around the car to see the kerb etc. when parking, what is the rear view camera like in the dark for reversing?
Rear view is that, 360 will probably be a feature enhancement. And that's a HUGE part of the car. It has a LOT more features today than when I bought it a year ago.
8/ What is the demising like etc. in damp conditions is it easy to keep window screen clear, I guess no one in the UK has used a 3 yet in the winter, wonder what it is like for de-icing the screen, does the screen wash ice up easily, block the jets and tubes on the wipers?
There are some issues, but they tend to focus around the doors, some fixes have been made. First issue is that the Tesla, like many other cars, drops the windows slightly when opening the door. If it is completely iced over, it may have problems dropping. Door handles are unique in design and fully iced, they also may have issues opening.
9/ When you preheat / cool cabin, and the car is plugged into a charger, does it use the mains electric, or drains the battery etc.
That's a debatable issue, but don't worry with it. The power requirements are really low and it really doesn't make a difference.
10/ I keep seeing the word Sentry what are you all talking about.
Sentry Mode is an enhanced security mode that was created in response to California owners whose rear quarter windows were getting broken and seats dropped to see if anything in the trunk. (It seems as if CA has a pretty bad car crime problem with Teslas) Sentry provides enhance surveillance and very loud alarms. Google it. I don't use it.