Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla accident in the news

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have to give this news station credit for not gratuitously mentioning the car that was rear-ended was a Tesla. So often, when a Tesla is involved, the story gets sensationalized. This was a tragic accident involving two vehicles and the car brands weren't relevant to this situation. And that's how this story was reported by KHON.

Last edited:
I know this couple, but have not seen them in years. Sonny and Rose Aquino. Glad to hear that they were not hurt.

With the damage that was done, now begins another journey to get the insurance company to cover all repair costs and have the car repaired in a reasonable amount of time. I sure hope the other driver had insurance.

Glad to read the owners are OK. When I was in high school I drove that route frequently, as I lived near Pearl Harbor and my GF lived in Kailua. The down-slope on both sides of the tunnel always made it very easy to speed and experiment re how fast you could take the curves. Sounds like the temptation exists even 40 years later!

Although the speed of the other car was not determined, it would seem (based on the driver's comments) that the higher weight/mass of the Model S partially contributed to the severity of the other car's damage. The recently released side impact crash test video on the Model X illustrates this - notice how much the other "car" moves relative to the Model X. The greater weight/mass of a Tesla, combined with the lower center of gravity, I think leads to lower risk of severe damage or injury from these types of accidents.

Reactions: nanimac
I know this couple, but have not seen them in years. Sonny and Rose Aquino. Glad to hear that they were not hurt.

With the damage that was done, now begins another journey to get the insurance company to cover all repair costs and have the car repaired in a reasonable amount of time. I sure hope the other driver had insurance.
Please reach out to them to see if the wheel was broken and the majority of the repair is simply replacing the wheel. Just curious from the looks of the car.

Here is a better photograph.
What do you think caused the crash?

hawaiiwomp.JPG

Here's what I have from the driver of the red MS. Please understand that details provided by him are minimal as they needed to spend time dealing with the insurance firm, the authorized repair shop, Tesla reps, and also had to rush in prepping to depart on a trip. In addition to what has been already been shared via local news media, this is what Sonny Aquino shared with me knowing it will be posted onto this forum ...

The car is still being evaluated. There are two shops on the island that are Tesla-authorized shops. It will take a month for the parts to get here. Once the parts get here, they may have to wait further until the shop can work on the car. In the meantime the car will be kept in the Aquino's garage.

The other vehicle was reportedly insured.

He stated that he felt the "the body of the car was rock solid" when impacted by the SUV at 100 MPH, and they felt "protected". He feels that this contributed to their lack of serious injury or death.

He stated that the SUV hit their driver's side rear bumper, rear fender, and rear wheel. This impact caused the passenger side of the MS to hit the guard rail on the right side of the road. He says the passenger side of the MS is scratched up.

He also stated the none of the airbags deployed during the accident, and Tesla was not currently able to explain why. The car is being checked by Tesla with regard to this.​

I have not been able to talk to the couple. This info was relayed to me in brief snippet-style texts, so it is literally all that I have to share (so, please don't ask me for any further details). We can only speculate on all the finer details. If I receive any further info that can share, I will post it in this Hawaii forum.