Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla added your Model S to my account!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hello, Model 3 newbie here. I filled out the transfer of ownership form on tesla.com last night. Today, I received two emails: one adding my Model 3, and another adding someone else's Model S! I was very surprised they gave me access to a completely different vehicle with a VIN that wasn't close to mine. I contacted customer support but haven't heard back yet.

In the meantime, if you were parked in Rio Linda, CA at 3:05pm Pacific time and your S is named Black Beauty, I can see you on my app!

Hello, Model 3 newbie here. I filled out the transfer of ownership form on tesla.com last night. Today, I received two emails: one adding my Model 3, and another adding someone else's Model S! I was very surprised they gave me access to a completely different vehicle with a VIN that wasn't close to mine. I contacted customer support but haven't heard back yet.

In the meantime, if you were parked in Rio Linda, CA at 3:05pm Pacific time and your S is named Black Beauty, I can see you on my app!

I would do the right thing and remove their car from your account. You can do it right from your Tesla account is less than 10 seconds.

Now I'm getting emails saying I need to pay for the supercharging fees the person driving the Model S is incurring. I'm hoping Monday morning when the support team starts reviewing emails again that someone sees this isn't my car and removes it from the account.

Now I'm getting emails saying I need to pay for the supercharging fees the person driving the Model S is incurring. I'm hoping Monday morning when the support team starts reviewing emails again that someone sees this isn't my car and removes it from the account.
Maybe call Tesla and tell them that unless they are going to fix it immediately, or you'll be forced to set pin-to-drive in order to prevent the car from driving and therefore supercharging which is billed to you. If you do it, they'll have the other owner on their case, maybe with a lawyer, or even a reporter (headlines like "Tesla let someone else control my car" are Elon's worse nightmare). After all, you'd just be protecting yourself from additional charges. ;)

Last edited:
Yes, but in this case nothing that can't be fixed. We really need to keep things in perspective.
Almost everything can be fixed, the question is will it be completely fixed. Will Tesla reimburse for the hours spent trying to reach them, for any interest and penalties that credit cars charge for not paying the bill while Tesla is working on a refund? I'm going to guess not, so not everything will be fixed, even if it can theoretically be fixed.

This should have been one call to customer service and done. Apparently it wasn't. They could have at the very least enable free supercharging for that car and eat supercharging fees for however long it takes them to rectify it.

Almost everything can be fixed, the question is will it be completely fixed. Will Tesla reimburse for the hours spent trying to reach them, for any interest and penalties that credit cars charge for not paying the bill while Tesla is working on a refund? I'm going to guess not, so not everything will be fixed, even if it can theoretically be fixed.

This should have been one call to customer service and done. Apparently it wasn't. They could have at the very least enable free supercharging for that car and eat supercharging fees for however long it takes them to rectify it.

O. M. G. You need to calm down.

Tesla WILL reverse the charges for the charging (OR OP can dispute with the bank ASSUMING he even had a card on file) for NO FEE... what are the "interest and penalties" on the few bucks that were charged anyway?

This is a call and a follow-up email and that's it. Raising this up to DEFCON 1 is not required. Save that for the real problems.

Reactions: SoCal Buzz
Tonight I received an email stating that "my" Model S had been removed from the account. I received a second email asking me to pay the outstanding charge fees. I would imagine these are both auto generated based on an employee hitting the remove button, but I wish they'd have thought to remove charges for a vehicle that's not--and never was--mine. The billing history has a direct email address, so I sent them an email asking to remove the charges. This all happened right after support closed for the night, so we'll see what happens in the morning.

Tonight I received an email stating that "my" Model S had been removed from the account. I received a second email asking me to pay the outstanding charge fees. I would imagine these are both auto generated based on an employee hitting the remove button, but I wish they'd have thought to remove charges for a vehicle that's not--and never was--mine. The billing history has a direct email address, so I sent them an email asking to remove the charges. This all happened right after support closed for the night, so we'll see what happens in the morning.
It does suck that this happened, but it seems like they are fixing it.