Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla And SpaceX Have First COVID-19 Cases Confirmed

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

TMC Staff

May 19, 2017
Unfortunately, it was just a matter of time before it happened. Being in a state with over 4,000 people infected with COVID-19 made it a risky business to keep operating for Tesla and SpaceX. While Tesla suspended production on March 23, SpaceX is still active because it is part of the defense industrial base sector....
[WPURI="https://teslamotorsclub.com/blog/2020/03/27/tesla-spacex-first-covid-19-cases/"]READ FULL ARTICLE[/WPURI]

"In the US, where cases are currently at 92,932, the government says it plans to end the lockdown by Easter."

That is 100% false as of 3/28/20. There is a desire to restart the economy as soon as possible but nothing has been decided. Furthermore, if there is an easing of restrictions, it will likely come in stages starting with the least impacted areas, and not a blanket order like this article is suggesting.

Please be careful with accuracy when it comes to this crisis. People are on edge as it is.

Reactions: mikes_fsd
"In the US, where cases are currently at 92,932, the government says it plans to end the lockdown by Easter."

That is 100% false as of 3/28/20. There is a desire to restart the economy as soon as possible but nothing has been decided. Furthermore, if there is an easing of restrictions, it will likely come in stages starting with the least impacted areas, and not a blanket order like this article is suggesting.

Please be careful with accuracy when it comes to this crisis. People are on edge as it is.

Do I sense a sour taste stemming from 2016 election?

Remember: The President is the head of state and head of government of the United States of America regardless of how you feel about the 2016 election.

The President said:

“We’re opening up this incredible country. Because we have to do that. I would love to have it open by Easter”...

“...I would love to have that. It’s such an important day for other reasons, but I’d love to make it an important day for this. I would love to have the country opened up, and rarin’ to go by Easter...”

...“Easter’s a very special day for me...”

“Wouldn’t it be great to have all the churches full?” ...“You’ll have packed churches all over our country … I think it’ll be a beautiful time.”

Some people don't take the President's words, tweets or in this case "desire" seriously and they lost their jobs (Remember Navy Secretary Richard Spencer who said the President's tweet is not a formal order?)

The article does not prove that Elon Musk is wrong.

He believes that there are many more infections than recorded because there are not enough tests in the US and the death ratio is low while he believes that the common colds and flu currently kill more than the number of Covid-19 does.

He believes the majority of Covid-19 patients don't die so the article's huge number of infections prove his point.

So the news that famous people like Tom Hanks and his wife got Covid-19 might panic many but for Elon Musk, that proves his point: the majority of Covid-19 patients don't die!

Last edited:
Do I sense a sour taste stemming from 2016 election?

Remember: The President is the head of state and head of government of the United States of America regardless of how you feel about the 2016 election.

The President said:

“We’re opening up this incredible country. Because we have to do that. I would love to have it open by Easter”...

“...I would love to have that. It’s such an important day for other reasons, but I’d love to make it an important day for this. I would love to have the country opened up, and rarin’ to go by Easter...”

...“Easter’s a very special day for me...”

“Wouldn’t it be great to have all the churches full?” ...“You’ll have packed churches all over our country … I think it’ll be a beautiful time.”

Some people don't take the President's words, tweets or in this case "desire" seriously and they lost their jobs (Remember Navy Secretary Richard Spencer who said the President's tweet is not a formal order?)

I am not touching politics on this. None of your quotes say the guidelines are going to be lifted by April. I have my opinions of how long we will be in lockdown but I don’t report my opinion as news.

He believes that there are many more infections than recorded because there are not enough tests in the US and the death ratio is low while he believes that the common colds and flu currently kill more than the number of Covid-19 does.

"As a basis for comparison, the risk of death from C19 is *vastly* less than the risk of death from driving your car home" - Musk​

Current trends seem to indicate Elon's math on this isn't accurate. Same for the common flu.

"As a basis for comparison, the risk of death from C19 is *vastly* less than the risk of death from driving your car home" - Musk​

Current trends seem to indicate Elon's math on this isn't accurate. Same for the common flu.

The worst-case scenario from the CDC:

Infected: 210 million
Deaths: 1.7 million

1.7 / 210 = 0.0081

or 0.81% which is less than 1%.

Risk of automobile death: 1 in 103 or 1 / 103 = 0.0097 or 0.97% which is higher than the above worst-case covid-19 scenario.

The worst-case scenario from the CDC:

Infected: 210 million
Deaths: 1.7 million

1.7 / 210 = 0.0081

or 0.81% which is less than 1%.

Risk of automobile death: 1 in 103 or 1 / 103 = 0.0097 or 0.97% which is higher than the above worst-case covid-19 scenario.

That's the risk over your entire life. Assume that you can get a new strain of this virus once every year or two, it should be more obvious why that's an alarming number. And yes, Musk is seriously wrong.