Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Shortage of parts at Shanghai plant

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Here's an auto-translated message from a Chinese forum regarding the current situation. I have no idea how credible the source is, but at least it's something.

In response to the rumors going around this morning that the Tesla Shanghai Gigafactory is shutting down and stopping production, here's a quick elaboration
5.8 The manufacturer who supplied the harnesses to the factory was found to have positive cases [of Covid -Lupin]
5.10 The news of the plant's shutdown was suddenly sent out by some "good samaritan"
The current state of affairs only affects logistics, but there has been no shutdown of production. At least, not today. The number of vehicles produced today has indeed been significantly affected and is only in the hundreds.
It has been confirmed that the plant is also back in export mode.

Workers in factory reportedly prefer it to being locked in a tiny flat at home unable to get out the door, get decent food.
Are you saying all Chinese built cars such as BMWs are loaded by underfed workers?
Dedicated Tesla staff, knowing they are working for a company with a positive mission and (AFAIK) UK staff also get share options (although I've never seen it written about).

Almost every other UK job/firm seems to be rentierism gone mad, awful bean-counter-run companies or dodgy in some way. Whether it's bribing politicians to get PPE contracts, dodgy home-buying schemes that incidentally benefit big land-hoarding companies that have recently given big political donations or just dumping millions of tonnes of raw sewage into streams, lakes and sea. I'd choose Tesla to work for given those choices.
People may prefer being locked in a factory to being locked in their flat with their family but that does not make my point invalid that they are working under less ideal circumstances than normal.

There have been numerous reports of food shortages in Shanghai due to the lockdown. Including one about dock workers not being able to get food because all the places they normally get it from are closed. Probably applies to BMW and everyone else but I was focusing on Tesla since, you know, its a Tesla forum and it's a Tesla I am waiting for.

I did not say Tesla staff were not dedicated or good at their job just that they may find themselves trying to deliver more cars in a shorter time than usual (despite overall deliveries being lower) which is unlikely to be a positive either for them or their work.

None of that or possible parts shortages is going to have a positive effect on the quality or condition of cars delivered this quarter. So the best case is as normal and the worst is worse. I would be foolish not to be concerned.
Of course I am probably better mentally prepared for the worst case than many waiting, My current car is a 2019 Fremont M3...

I think 200 cars a day might as well be called stopped, that’s massively down v full capacity.

And the Teslas reply I saw certainly didn’t say full capacity or hint at any volume. Would one car a day make the stock market happy?

I’ve not seen any Berlin ramp figures yet either (maybe I missed them), and Texas still seems be a mixed message, the last I saw they hadn’t shipped any.

The stock being down 35% YTD is also as much general tech slide as anything

Reactions: ScottishDev