Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Annual Shareholder Meeting and Battery Day

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Did I hear them say that bi-directional flow is possible in Europe with a software update?
I heard that, but without the Europe word.
Later they talked about needing different hardware that they plan to use in the future.

Given Elon's opinion that G2V is a poor idea, I would not expect any good news on that front for now. I agree with others that Elon is wrong here, for a couple of reasons:
  • People love the security of knowing that they have a backup plan in case of the grid going down. It will require islanding hardware
  • It can be the difference between between buying one powerwall, Vs more to cover corner cases
  • CCS is going to get it, and practical considerations aside it is going to become a marketed feature

Are we really still early adopters, now that Tesla's have been around for a decade or so? My assumption, perhaps incorrect, is that by the time the Model 3 was launched, a couple of years ago, the cars should have been a pretty mature product, especially as we didn't start to get Model 3 deliveries here in the UK until a year or so after deliveries started.

Did I hear them say that bi-directional flow is possible in Europe with a software update?

Yes you did. They will never do it though as it will kill powerwall sales/idea.

I sort of agree with them to be hones....

Think about this. Powerwall is 6k + install today. Car is 35k+

If they lower battery price by 56% car will still be 35k+, but powerwall might well be 3k... And you dont need to be tempted by "FSD" and shiny rims... As well as degredation. As well as putting in those discharge sessions...

It's a nice dream, to use the car, but if the car can work (say 10 years later as a taxi) then v2g is a temporary solution while batteries are expensive. Might be as temporary as 3 years...

Are we really still early adopters

I mean, yes.... Not only is EV penetration below 2% in UK, Tesla penetration is lower still.... If thats not definition of early adopter I don't know what is.... We are not in the wave of the first 3000 people (out of ~20 million drivers), but yea...

The ICE car was *sugar* for decades while people still used horses. Go visit the car musem, the amount of maintanance after every single trip was insane.

First iPhones... First Android phones...

Yeah it was in US 1 year before it came here, but still. 1 year is not a long time...

And what is the fuss about really? The car not waking up from the app so you cant start aircon in the new version? Just unlock it and it will wake up straight away. My leaf app doesent even work on Android 11...

Maybe it's a perspective thing. I bought a PHEV in 2013, then a BEV in 2018, then the Model 3 in 2019, and over the past 7 years most of my driving has probably been either in EV mode in the PHEV or in a BEV. I looked on the Model 3 as a mature product, that had the bugs ironed out, was through all the teething troubles that any new production line may have and would be a solid, well-built, car, with a high level of reliability, as well as a reasonably decent standard of fit and finish.

The connectivity is a nice to have in some respects, although it is sold as a key feature with the Model 3, to the extent that the keycard is really just promoted as the backup entry method if phone connectivity doesn't work. The Prius PHEV didn't have connectivity like this, but I could just press a button on the remote to precondition the car, and that worked from anywhere in the house, Also, I never had any issues with the BMW app, that just worked all the time I owned the i3.