Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla App connectivity issues

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My App (on Android) often does not connect - "Vehicle connection error" (or similar). In my case I think that the problem is that though the car is connected to my Wifi, the signal in my garage is weak. Sometimes it connects sometimes not. However, when the car is not connected to any Wifi network (say when I am away from home) then the app connection works quickly because it is obviously making the connection over the cellular network. I think this is because connectivity defaults to Wifi and even though the service is intermittent it perseveres and finally gives up.

This is a bug. Shouldn't it just connect over the cellular network all the time?

My App (on Android) often does not connect - "Vehicle connection error" (or similar). In my case I think that the problem is that though the car is connected to my Wifi, the signal in my garage is weak. Sometimes it connects sometimes not. However, when the car is not connected to any Wifi network (say when I am away from home) then the app connection works quickly because it is obviously making the connection over the cellular network. I think this is because connectivity defaults to Wifi and even though the service is intermittent it perseveres and finally gives up.

This is a bug. Shouldn't it just connect over the cellular network all the time?

No, because they dont push out firmware updates over cellular. Your poor wifi coverage in your garage is not tesla's fault, so its not a bug. Since you know that you have poor wifi in your garage, you have the option to simply turn off wifi in the car all together (disconnect from wifi). The car will tell you if you have a firmware update ready to download, then you could connect to your wifi (but may have issues downloading it because of poor connectivity.

You likely want to connect the connectivity issue in your garage, because its unlikely that tesla will go back to allowing firmware updates to be delivered over cellular, unless they are safety related (and most firmware updates do not seem to be categorized as such, because they require wifi).

Reactions: hcdavis3
No, because they dont push out firmware updates over cellular. Your poor wifi coverage in your garage is not tesla's fault, so its not a bug. Since you know that you have poor wifi in your garage, you have the option to simply turn off wifi in the car all together (disconnect from wifi). The car will tell you if you have a firmware update ready to download, then you could connect to your wifi (but may have issues downloading it because of poor connectivity.

You likely want to connect the connectivity issue in your garage, because its unlikely that tesla will go back to allowing firmware updates to be delivered over cellular, unless they are safety related (and most firmware updates do not seem to be categorized as such, because they require wifi).

Thanks, I'll turn off WiFi.I can move the car to a better spot when I get an update notification.