Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla App issue

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
We have a Model 3 and Y. Cars are working fine but I have an issue with my Tesla App. On both my wife's and my phone the app operates fine on my wifes' Y. The model 3 part of the app unlocks and runs the 3 with no problem. The image of the 3 on the app is grayed out and will not operate the controls or show locations etc. I have followed the manual steps of blue tooth on and off and even removed and reinstalled the app. Advice would be appreciated. Thanks, Chuck

I am an iOS programmer. A oddity in the Tesla app confused me for a while, as it does not conform to Apple guidelines. When you put up an icon that can be pressed to do something, you must have a consistent policy: does what the icon shows indicate the state of something, or does it offer to do what it shows instead? In the case of the Tesla control screen, it is mixed. For the frunk and hatchback (on a Y) it says 'Open'. This means that if you tap it, they unlock and open (rather than whether they are currently open, which is a state). However, in the middle, there is a padlock which controls whether the car is locked or not. In that case, if the padlock is shown as locked, it is not a button that will lock the car, but rather telling you the state of the car. So if you tap it thinking you are thereby locking the car, you actually unlock it! Bad programming practice. I left my Tesla unlocked many times by misunderstanding the function of this button, until I finally figured out why it was unlocked. Tesla should really not mix displaying the state of something with a tappable button.