Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla App Question

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
On the Tesla app under Controls there is an icon labeled "Start." When I click on it it starts a count down from 2 minutes but other than that I can't figure out what it does. I don't notice any changes inside the car. After the countdown is complete it says "Active" and after that the only way I have found to return it to the "Start" position is to get out of the app entirely. Can someone please tell me what its' purpose is.

On the Tesla app under Controls there is an icon labeled "Start." When I click on it it starts a count down from 2 minutes but other than that I can't figure out what it does. I don't notice any changes inside the car. After the countdown is complete it says "Active" and after that the only way I have found to return it to the "Start" position is to get out of the app entirely. Can someone please tell me what its' purpose is.
selecting the “Start” icon will allow someone to move your car for just two minutes. This is like leaving a spare key at home so the car can be moved if required and your not there.

Actually, you or someone can drive the car without a key using the app. You must press on the brake within 2 minutes of starting "keyless driving". You can drive until the battery runs down. If you put the car in park or open the door, you must start the process over again using the app if you do not have a key. Also, you can unlock the car using the app to get in without a key.

Keep in mind that if you drive the car to someone where mobile coverage is spotty you may strand it there w/o the key fob. This "feature" should only be relied on as a backup and not "the way" as many owners have discovered for themselves the hard way in the past.

Reactions: DerbyDave