TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Tesla approved tires list? Need inexpensive tires for lease return

Discussion in 'Model S' started by preilly44, May 22, 2018.

1. preilly44

preilly44 Member

Does anybody know where you can find a Tesla approved list of tires? I need to return my P90D (lease return) in September and I need new 21". I'd like to save some money and buy less expensive tires but I want to make sure Tesla will accept them. I've heard from my Tesla SC that there is a "Tesla approved" list of tires but they didn't have the list.

Does anyone know if such a list exists or what the cheapest (decent) tires Tesla will let me return the car with?

2. jsimon77

jsimon77 Member

Interested in this as well. I've never heard of an approved list as it related to lease returns. Usually as long as they are the correct OEM size it's good to go. But with Tesla...maybe the lease says something different?

3. PhilDavid

PhilDavid Active Member

This requirement is pretty common with lease returns. You should find out from Tesla the OEM tires used for the model you leased and look up the prices on Tire Rack. Alternatively ask how much they would charge if you return the car as is...

4. patrick40363

patrick40363 Member

As long as all 4 tires are the same brand you will be fine. I bought the cheapest tires I could find when I turned my Chev volt lease in. Not a problem.

5. Uncle Paul

Uncle Paul Active Member

And people are complaining when their CPO Tesla's need some refurbishment.

• Funny x 2
  6. wamochi

wamochi Member

i just put new Falken Azenis FK510 staggered setup on ours last month. we only have about 4 months left on the lease so i didn't want to spend $2000+. total price w/ tax and install at discount tire was $895. they are actually great tires - i don't notice any difference compared to the OEM michelins. very smooth and quiet.

p.s. i lease a lot and there are rarely any requirements other than some minimum tread depth and having 4 tires with "matching" brand. i have never been dinged at lease termination for using a non OEM brand. a lot of CPOs that were previously lease returns are probably going to get fresh new tires anyway.

• Like x 1