Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Artificial Driving Noise

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I mean... it's on Mercedes and Prius for sure. It makes a little whine. Enough to hear with normal ears but if you're hard of hearing much more difficult.

It gives it a more EV feel.

Also, if a pedestrian DOES hit you or you hit them and it shows you removed the speaker, not sure how that would hold up in court after they sue you.

From Wikipedia for "quiet" vehicles in the U.S.
After several additional delays, the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration issued its final ruling in February 2018. It requires hybrids and electric vehicles travelling at less than 18.6 mph (30 km/h) to emit warning sounds that pedestrians must be able to hear over background noises. The regulation requires full compliance in September 2020, but 50% of "quiet" vehicles must have the warning sounds by September 2019.[3]
Electric vehicle warning sounds - Wikipedia

The wording here is somewhat ambiguous. What does "full compliance in September 2020" mean? Does this apply to all previously built "quiet" vehicles as well or just newly built vehicles starting September 2020? If it's retroactive it would place a huge burden on carmakers to retrofit their previously released "quiet" vehicles to emit sound.

I would guess its just for cars built after the law passed with enforcement in 2020. I lived through the 1980's 3rd brake light (center brake light) addition and if you had an old car you were fine. That said, because it was safer you could add a 3rd brake light to many cars after market back then (I added the 3rd light to our Oldsmobile Omega- oof) so I wonder if you could add the sound (if you wanted to) on older EV/ silent cars.

Last edited:
That's my guess as well, @StanT. I looked under my Model 3 (received March 2019) for the speaker shown in the Pedestrian Warning System video above and there's nothing there. So a retrofit would be a big deal, at least on a Model 3. I suspect a PWS retrofit would be a significant mod for most EVs.

Whoever thought EV’s needed this never owned one or has common sense for that matter. I had instances where I was able to stop my EV because I could hear the subtle noises of someone coming. This drowns will drown those subtle noises out. I could understand the need if EV’s were actually silent but deadly. :eek:

SLPT. If you’re worried pedestrians won’t hear you, crack the window and crank the tunes. Stupid laws like this exist
because people can’t tear their faces from their phones and pay attention.