Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla at Detroit 2013 NAIAS

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So now Musk is Wonka?

tom libby slugworth.jpg

I some how doubt that. If he assembles his car in China, his tech will get stolen.

You know that Airbuses are produced in China? Not just assembled, but major components are made there. And Airbuses not only made in China but also exported from China to other countries.

And low tech stuff like Toyotas&Lexuses, Chevies&Cadillacs, VW&Audis etc also made there. And guess who have more tech & know how developed, GM+Toyota+VW or Tesla?

The way I see it, if Tesla will get alternative supply chain it will only help them. In case something happens to North American or Japanese supplier (tsunami, earthquake, flood, bankruptcy etc). Or to a degree letting suppliers compete will make supply chain more price efficient/competitive.

PS. Boeing while having research and development centers in China, plus Chinese suppliers (some parts of 787 Dreamliner are made in China for example), still lags way behind European EADS/Airbus in terms of cooperation with China :(

Video claims, that Musk said that the goal is to assemble the car in China and eventually produce as many parts as possible there as well...

That is a good news, right? :wink:

In case the video was unclear, my understanding is the goal is to assemble cars in China that will be sold in China, not to abandon the Fremont facility.

This is way off, Gen3 or beyond planning.

(all IMO)

In case the video was unclear, my understanding is the goal is to assemble cars in China that will be sold in China, not to abandon the Fremont facility.

This is way off, Gen3 or beyond planning.

(all IMO)

Chances are that Chinese plant wont happen in next 5 years at least. But eventually TM should get plants in China, Europe, India, Brazil. Just like a big boys ;)

Nevertheless, Musk's claim is an interesting one.

We've already seen detailed drawings of the Roadster's ESS that appeared to come from China, so perhaps they will reverse engineer whether you are building it there or not...

During Martin time, Tesla had Roadster ESS produced in Thailand plant. Check this. But then Musk took over CEO position and moved ESS production back to states.

But my point was that major auto manufactures are doing fine having production in China, and even doing better then local brands(with GM currently clear market leader in China auto market). Not only automotive sector sector is there, but arguably more high tech sectors like aerospace, telecom, electronics are there and do not seems to be suffering from scary "technology stealing".

Not only automotive sector sector is there, but arguably more high tech sectors like aerospace, telecom, electronics are there and do not seems to be suffering from scary "technology stealing".

I'm pretty sure that massive amounts of western technology is being given to them and being stolen by them. Setting up western companies there requires a local partner - those rules are designed to transfer knowledge.

Video claims, that Musk said that the goal is to assemble the car in China and eventually produce as many parts as possible there as well...

That is a good news, right? :wink:
I take that quote to mean assembly in China for the Chinese market Model S (just like they are planning to do with the Euro market Model S eventually). This is what all major manufacturers are pretty much doing already.

I'm pretty sure that massive amounts of western technology is being given to them and being stolen by them. Setting up western companies there requires a local partner - those rules are designed to transfer knowledge.
Yes. I remember China has a policy that you must have a local partner to open an auto plant there. This requirement pretty much is explicitly designed to transfer knowledge.

Last edited:

And what about NUMMI - now known around as Tesla Factory? By your definition eastern technology was being stolen there by Americans? I mean GM never hidden the fact that they were very much interested in learning about lean manufacturing and such from Toyota when the plant was open. Just like Chinese partners now quite open that they are very much interested in learning from their foreign business partners. In both cases parties had an option to stay away from forming partnership.

And do not forget, technology transfer going both ways - when Chinese automotive supplier Wanxiang opening plants in US, people who work there learn Wanxiang tech. When worldwide leader in notebooks/tablets production, Chinese Foxconn will open US plant for Mac production, Americans who will work there will be able to learn Foxconn know how.

Or you see something wrong with tech transfer only when it falls into context of China, but not into context of US-Japanese, US-Korean, US-EU cooperation?

And what about NUMMI - now known around as Tesla Factory? By your definition eastern technology was being stolen there by Americans?

You'll noticed I said "given" first before "stolen". Lots of technology is being transferred to China by companies wanting to do business there. That might be a good move for the companies involved, or it might come back and bite them in the ass. That's business.

As for "stolen", there is quite a lot of industrial espionage going on all the time.

Regardless, information tends to behave like thermodynamics. Heat always flows from hot to cold.

You'll noticed I said "given" first before "stolen". Lots of technology is being transferred to China by companies wanting to do business there. That might be a good move for the companies involved, or it might come back and bite them in the ass. That's business.

As for "stolen", there is quite a lot of industrial espionage going on all the time.

Regardless, information tends to behave like thermodynamics. Heat always flows from hot to cold.

This reminded me of a great article concerning Apple's knowledge/technology transfer to Samsung I read last month, the story of Dell and Asus is told as a cautionary tale. Longish but well worth reading:

The real threat that Samsung poses to Apple | asymco