Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Automatic Tire Inflation

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Daniellane

The Tesla Guy
Supporting Member
Had real trouble finding a place to post this. Not specific to one Model.
It would really be great if they had Trash Receptacles Restrooms and Tire Inflators at Supercharger Locations. Until that becomes a reality, I found a great solution for tire inflation at home.
ppx_pop_mob_ap_share

Tesla Automatic Tire Inflation

Product Links...
Fast-Flate Wall Mount Digital Auto Inflator MTN24880 $65.00
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07DLXV2JW/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_EyQ-Eb8PTG6N2

Rapidair K93215 NPT Filter $39.99
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00DQJQ6K0?ref=ppx_pop_mob_ap_share

Avanty 3/8" NPT Male x 1/4" NPT $13.99
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07KX3DFG6?ref=ppx_pop_mob_ap_share

• Informative
Reactions: Ostrichsak
Nice video. One thing you didn't mention in the video is if this device will also release pressure to attain the desired set point. One common issue in climates that have four seasons is that the tire pressures are higher in the spring summer months. If I'm going to pay $65+ for a device that automatically sets the pressure I'd want one that does both high & low rather than filling when it's low. Otherwise, if I have to manually release pressure with a gauge I might as well check it and manually fill it too. Let me know if this device automagically does both because I'd pop for $65 if it truly is a device that handles all pressure needs.

Reactions: Rocky_H
Interesting home tire inflation option.

I just carry a cigarette lighter socket powered ViAir 84P in our Model S's "basement". Small, super easy to use, available anywhere (including Superchargers), and a LOT less $$$ than an air compressor + all the components to make an "Automatic Tire Inflation" contraption.

Our local America's Tire (a.k.a. Discount Tires) have Drive-Thru "Automatic Tire Inflation" devices at all their stores I've been to... and will check and refill your tires for FREE. You don't even have to get out of your Tesla.

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B01MS75ZMY/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Nice video. One thing you didn't mention in the video is if this device will also release pressure to attain the desired set point. One common issue in climates that have four seasons is that the tire pressures are higher in the spring summer months. If I'm going to pay $65+ for a device that automatically sets the pressure I'd want one that does both high & low rather than filling when it's low. Otherwise, if I have to manually release pressure with a gauge I might as well check it and manually fill it too. Let me know if this device automagically does both because I'd pop for $65 if it truly is a device that handles all pressure needs.
Very good question. I suspected that it did but I just tested it. I inflated the tire to 48 psi then I set the PSI to 45 and did it again. There is an air vent in the unit that blew out the excess with the typical PSSSSS sound. I dropped it down to 45psi, the signal went off and it stopped. As I said it on in the video “magic” This thing just keeps getting better. So easy.
Thank You

Reactions: pilotSteve
Very good question. I suspected that it did but I just tested it. I inflated the tire to 48 psi then I set the PSI to 45 and did it again. There is an air vent in the unit that blew out the excess with the typical PSSSSS sound. I dropped it down to 45psi, the signal went off and it stopped. As I said it on in the video “magic” This thing just keeps getting better. So easy.
Thank You
You said that it drops it a few PSI before inflating even when the pressure is already accurate from the start so can you inflate it higher than 48psi (roughly 3psi higher than normal set point) to test that theory for sure? A cold temp of 55psi isn't going to hurt the tire especially since you're not driving anywhere on it. Maybe set it to 55psi and then start again fresh with a set temp of 45psi to see if it indeed bleeds off the full 10psi or if that 3psi drop was a coincidence and what it normally does before starting. If it does indeed drop a full 10psi I'd be interested in buying one of these even though Discount Tire does it for free for me and I don't even have to get out of the car let alone touch an air hose. In Colorado the temps can vary wildly so being able to adjust your pressure before leaving the house is handy for safety reasons.

You said that it drops it a few PSI before inflating even when the pressure is already accurate from the start so can you inflate it higher than 48psi (roughly 3psi higher than normal set point) to test that theory for sure? A cold temp of 55psi isn't going to hurt the tire especially since you're not driving anywhere on it. Maybe set it to 55psi and then start again fresh with a set temp of 45psi to see if it indeed bleeds off the full 10psi or if that 3psi drop was a coincidence and what it normally does before starting. If it does indeed drop a full 10psi I'd be interested in buying one of these even though Discount Tire does it for free for me and I don't even have to get out of the car let alone touch an air hose. In Colorado the temps can vary wildly so being able to adjust your pressure before leaving the house is handy for safety reasons.
I will post an update video demoing it’s deflation capabilities soon.
I can say without any doubt that it deflated the tire. I believe the drop in pressure when I raised it from 45 to 47 in the video was only a fraction of a a pound (.8). Which I assume is caused when the 32 foot hose is pressurized.
In the test I did at your request that literally deflated through an exhaust vent in the bottom of the unit. (Image attached) Quite loud.
Actually have the ability to program it to overinflated by a specific amount and then drop the pressure down. (OPS, over pressure setting) it defaults to a fairly high number (35psi) so make sure you set it to zero if you buy one. Features that have is required for people who are installing tires on two new rims. I am also attaching screenshots of the manual pages for you to review. FYI I also have it on a timer so that my compressor goes off and fortunately it does not lose any of the programming when powered down.
232ABEEC-2FED-44BA-A00C-FCF246B8DF87.jpeg

86507646-B398-4B50-8E14-04DC32319DA6.jpeg
D4AC714A-17CA-477E-AF33-5A92E40481B5.jpeg
2DB98C1B-A46A-4B07-94D3-83C6B6AF2D64.jpeg
854E3EE1-07CB-47CE-8C0F-7327743B542D.jpeg
89EC32B1-3B4B-4030-95AE-5DF92213B49B.jpeg
B8076CA2-3792-4152-BCD0-2A0BF79B3112.jpeg
FCA24A9F-F350-4CCB-9B9C-77A80093176D.jpeg
3C85F04E-97B9-4991-9C6B-3C02D4DBC3FA.jpeg

• Helpful
Reactions: pilotSteve
Ok here’s a quick & dirty video per your request...
Tesla Automatic Tire Inflation UPDATE - Deflation Demo

• Informative
Looks good and behaves exactly as I'd hoped. I may need to pick one of these up. Thanks for sharing!
If you do please post your level of satisfaction here. I just brought all 8 of our tires to spec in about 3 minutes. They all added pressure except for one which it deflated a bit. This thing is awesome! Hoping you agree.