Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Autonomy Day is on Mon, April 22nd

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
You keep repeating this over and over, and the Tesla hating journalists keep repeating it - But i want to see where and when Elon Musk said there will a million Robo Taxis on the road by end of next year?

He does say that at 3h:13m:35s in to the video.

However, taken in context, I interpret it as him saying there will be that many Teslas capable of non-supervised self driving at that time and therefore that many Teslas capable of being Robotaxis by then.

Quite a bold statement, nonetheless. Add salt to taste :)

Reactions: preilly44
"From our standpoint, if you fast forward a year, maybe a year and three months, but next year for sure, we’ll have over a million robotaxis on the road,” Musk said.

You are just spreading the same lies and inaccurate statement from CNBC and Bloomberg. it becomes circular. Some idiot reporter incorrectly quoted Musk and tweeted, which MSM faithfully repeats it - because it puts Musk in bad light - which then multiple folks retweet those articles and quote them.

Show me where in the presentation where Musk said there will be 1M Robo taxis made in 2020?

Hint: he said there will be 1M Tesla cars capable of being autonomous. That includes my car that was delivered last year.

Last edited:
He does say that at 3h:13m:35s in to the video.

However, taken in context, I interpret it as him saying there will be that many Teslas capable of non-supervised self driving at that time and therefore that many Teslas capable of being Robotaxis by then.

Quite a bold statement, nonetheless. Add salt to taste :)
There is nothing bold about it. If you believe Tesla will achieve autonomy in 12 months, then there is nothing magical or bold about having 1M vehicles on the road capable of driving autonomously in 20 months from now.

Because there is already half a million cars on the road with that hardware (minus the FSD board), just waiting for the software.

Now if you are skeptical of Tesla reaching autonomy before 2020, then I agree that statement is misleading.

You are just spreading the same lies and inaccurate statement from CNBC and Bloomberg. it becomes circular. Some idiot reporter incorrectly quoted Musk and tweeted, which MSM faithfully repeats it - because it puts Musk in bad light - which then multiple folks retweet those articles and quote them.

Show me where in the presentation where Musk said there will be 1M Robo taxis made in 2020?

Hint: he said there will be 1M Tesla cars capable of being autonomous. That includes my car that was delivered last year.
great, please post those quotes from the presentation.
nobody twisted elon's arm to get him to say these things.

• Informative
Reactions: pilotSteve
There is nothing bold about it. If you believe Tesla will achieve autonomy in 12 months, then there is nothing magical or bold about having 1M vehicles on the road capable of driving autonomously in 20 months from now.

Because there is already half a million cars on the road with that hardware (minus the FSD board), just waiting for the software.

Now if you are skeptical of Tesla reaching autonomy before 2020, then I agree that statement is misleading.

You are right. Regulatory restrictions aside, I’m skeptical that Tesla will have the autonomy software ready to the level needed for Robotaxis by 2020. As an owner, well wisher, and a TSLA shareholder, I hope my skepticism is proven wrong next year, but based on bold statements made by Musk in the past about FSD, based on what I saw in demos and presentations yesterday, and based on what my car does today, I feel Robotaxi level FSD is beyond 2020. I guess we will all know next year.

Reactions: Electroman
I said this in another thread but here it goes again...Those of you saying you got burned in 2016 act as if Tesla did it on purpose. They didn't. They planned on working with Nvidia to get AP2 up to speed much faster than they did because Nvidia and Tesla had a falling out, leading to them getting 0 assistance from Nvidia. That is business it, happens. Tesla didn't lie or deceive you on purpose.
First, I said nothing about getting burned, but rather that we already heard the very same story from Elon, with almost identical demo 3 years ago, so my question is what is different now? Doing the same thing and expecting a different outcome is the definition of insanity. ;)

Second, Tesla and Mobileye had a falling out. Nvidia and Tesla did not fall out. Tesla was developing their own self driving stack from the get-go, using Nvidia primarily as a high-end processing platform, and that hardware platform is still available today AFAIK.

Third, about your comment that Tesla didn't lie. Nobody could possibly believe Elon's promises of 1 million robo taxis in 2020 and all the other stuff he's now promising. So if he's not lying, he's delusional then?

Last but not least, if you sell people something and don't deliver, you should offer them a full refund. THAT is good business. Taking money and not delivering is called a con job, not excused by incompetence.

First, I said nothing about getting burned, but rather that we already heard the very same story from Elon, with almost identical demo 3 years ago, so my question is what is different now? Doing the same thing and expecting a different outcome is the definition of insanity. ;)

Second, Tesla and Mobileye had a falling out. Nvidia and Tesla did not fall out. Tesla was developing their own self driving stack from the get-go, using Nvidia primarily as a high-end processing platform, and that hardware platform is still available today AFAIK.

Third, about your comment that Tesla didn't lie. Nobody could possibly believe Elon's promises of 1 million robo taxis in 2020 and all the other stuff he's now promising. So if he's not lying, he's delusional then?

Last but not least, if you sell people something and don't deliver, you should offer them a full refund. THAT is good business. Taking money and not delivering is called a con job, not excused by incompetence.

People shouldn't be so defensive over this legitimate critique. We are not attacking the guy. I want Tesla to be successful, I want to see this Tesla Pickup truck.
This company would be just fine, and probably better off, if it just delivered the best product and service they can. These crazy claims, exaggerations, timelines, etc
hurt more than they help. Don't sell a product you don't have!!! Pretty soon your promises don't mean much and critics have more ammo. Build cars, let the people decide
if you have the best product, and win in the end. He made these same FSD promises 3 years ago. Does he really think all 1 million owners are going to sign up for Robotaxi
service, let random people in their nice cars, and put a ton of miles on them? And this talk of regulatory approval is ridiculous.. is he planning to sue every major city, primarily
on the east coast, that already restrict or ban uber/lyft? I doubt it. And who is going to pay 20k to lease a 35k car, with no option to buy? That sounds like a terrible deal.

I see now that they are bringing back lower range model S and X. It seems as if each day they are throwing poo against the wall to see what sticks. Elon, stop panicking, stop with the
outlandish promises, set a plan, (you had a great plan until this quarter) and stick to it. If you have to take your lumps for a quarter, so be it, stay the course. /rant

Investors are also tired of hearing the same BS over and over.

Stop with the hype, prove us all wrong with results!

Attachments

• upload_2019-4-24_9-44-51.png
    upload_2019-4-24_9-44-51.png
    111 KB · Views: 44
Reactions: 1 person