Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Autonomy Day is on Mon, April 22nd

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Today's presentation was a feast. To anyone who majored in EE / CS, the material is especially exciting and definitely not pie in the sky stuff.
I watched most... interesting stuff.
It still felt like a late night slimy sales pitch... buy our time share! Get a reverse mortgage! Musk smells like a used car salesman. He doesn't need to be. :(

I watched most... interesting stuff.
It still felt like a late night slimy sales pitch... buy our time share! Get a reverse mortgage! Musk smells like a used car salesman. He doesn't need to be. :(
oboy here come the disagrees.
Do you -really- truly honestly think this will happen as Elon says? You're gonna sleep in your car next year?
No more steering wheels or pedals by 2021? A million autonomous tesla taxis on the road... NEXT YEAR?!
Cmon man. I like the forward thinking but lets be real and reasonable. If you buy into this, then Jim Bakker has
a miracle supplement to sell you that cures cancer, aids, aids2 and diabetes.

• Informative
Reactions: 1 person
oboy here come the disagrees.
Do you -really- truly honestly think this will happen as Elon says? You're gonna sleep in your car next year?
No more steering wheels or pedals by 2021? A million autonomous tesla taxis on the road... NEXT YEAR?!
Cmon man. I like the forward thinking but lets be real and reasonable. If you buy into this, then Jim Bakker has
a miracle supplement to sell you that cures cancer, aids, aids2 and diabetes.
LOL! The million tesla taxis on the road next year made me laught and upset at the same time. It’s such a blatant lie
Will tesla even have 1 million cars on the road next year?

I’m willing to bet these lies are turning more people away from tesla than to tesla, around our office the employees refer to Musk as shady, all he’s doing is proving them right.

Reactions: 1 person
The million tesla taxis on the road next year made me laught and upset at the same time. It’s such a blatant lie
Will tesla even have 1 million cars on the road next year?
I took that to mean that by the end of next year there will be around a million Tesla’s produced that have the necessary hardware/software to be used as autonomous taxis (remember the FSDC software is in the car but if the owner doesn’t buy it the software isn’t available).

It will be up to the owners of the cars as to whether they want them to be used as autonomous taxis. It’s an individual decision.

Reactions: preilly44
Even though everything was explained, and people who took a test ride afterwards reported witnessing autonomy in action?
Explanations are fine. He made some pretty incredible claims. Doyou believe that tesla will have a million fully autonomous tesla taxis on the roads next year? So they're going to accomplish this before the model Y is available? I wish he wouldn't say this as the head of a public company. Iger at Disney should come out and declare that they will produce 40 Pixar movies next year! When they only produce 2 Iger will be hailed as a forward thinking genius. I wish they went private and none of this would matter.

I took that to mean that by the end of next year there will be around a million Tesla’s produced that have the necessary hardware/software to be used as autonomous taxis (remember the FSDC software is in the car but if the owner doesn’t buy it the software isn’t available).

It will be up to the owners of the cars as to whether they want them to be used as autonomous taxis. It’s an individual decision.
I understood it as Tesla having their own fleet of 1 million taxis in the Lyft/Uber rival network tesla is planning on starting.

I can see tesla having 1 million Full self driving capable vehicles on the road by end of next year.

Either way I’ve lost all trust in Elon’s promises, anything he says I assume won’t be happening for a while or at all.

Reactions: pilotSteve
Explanations are fine. He made some pretty incredible claims. Doyou believe that tesla will have a million fully autonomous tesla taxis on the roads next year? So they're going to accomplish this before the model Y is available? I wish he wouldn't say this as the head of a public company. Iger at Disney should come out and declare that they will produce 40 Pixar movies next year! When they only produce 2 Iger will be hailed as a forward thinking genius. I wish they went private and none of this would matter.
You can call it an incredible claim, or a powerful vision. Proof will be in the pudding. From my perspective, CEO owns the vision. He isn't just saying stuff. He has shown you the goods. If you want to equate that to a slimy sales pitch, reverse mortgage, etc., those are incredible statements. If somebody told you 10 years ago, all the top brass automakers in Germany will be racing to build EVs and autonomous vehicles, you'd call it an incredible claim too. Those are the kind of statements made by people without vision.

The summary of the investor day is that one should wait at least 2 more years to purchase because HW4 will be out and be at least twice as fast as HW3
Aha! So you caught that. All AP2.x owners, this is why you're not getting AP3 hardware, because you're now first in line for AP4 retrofit whenever it comes! Of course if Tesla has AP5 in the works by then, you'll just get on that waiting list because who wants AP4 if AP5 will be so much better. By the time AP5 comes around, your car will be too old to put any AP into into it - for safety reasons Tesla will not retrofit really old cars.

• Funny
Reactions: pilotSteve
You can call it an incredible claim, or a powerful vision. Proof will be in the pudding. From my perspective, CEO owns the vision. He isn't just saying stuff. He has shown you the goods.
How is the story from yesterday different than 2016 AP2 unveil? In 2016 Elon told us that all cars off the production line have everything they need for full self driving, which will enable your car to drive for the Tesla ride sharing network to be launched next year (2017). He had a cool self driving loop video back in 2016 too. Is your argument purely that since it's been almost 3 years, he must be closer? Even if, it doesn't mean he's close (I can stand on a stool and be closer to the moon, doesn't mean I'm close).

How is the story from yesterday different than 2016 AP2 unveil? In 2016 Elon told us that all cars off the production line have everything they need for full self driving, which will enable your car to drive for the Tesla ride sharing network to be launched next year (2017). He had a cool self driving loop video back in 2016 too. Is your argument purely that since it's been almost 3 years, he must be closer? Even if, it doesn't mean he's close (I can stand on a stool and be closer to the moon, doesn't mean I'm close).

I said this in another thread but here it goes again...Those of you saying you got burned in 2016 act as if Tesla did it on purpose. They didn't. They planned on working with Nvidia to get AP2 up to speed much faster than they did because Nvidia and Tesla had a falling out, leading to them getting 0 assistance from Nvidia. That is business it, happens. Tesla didn't lie or deceive you on purpose.

I said this in another thread but here it goes again...Those of you saying you got burned in 2016 act as if Tesla did it on purpose. They didn't. They planned on working with Nvidia to get AP2 up to speed much faster than they did because Nvidia and Tesla had a falling out, leading to them getting 0 assistance from Nvidia. That is business it, happens. Tesla didn't lie or deceive you on purpose.
Well they kinda did do it on purpose to sell cars.
Why sell something that’s not yet operational?

It’s like me selling a house in Atlanta and advertising it as ocean front property because global warming will drown Florida and southern Georgia one day...

You keep repeating this over and over, and the Tesla hating journalists keep repeating it - But i want to see where and when Elon Musk said there will a million Robo Taxis on the road by end of next year?

I took this to be a projection that by end of next year there will be that many Teslas on the road capable of being a robotaxi if people want. Don't forget China Gigafactory2 will likely be up and producing maybe by end of this year. Given how they work over there who knows how many cars they will contribute to the volume produced.

Ah, just saw this posted on Teslarati, confirming what I thought about the numbers:

NVIDIA says Tesla raised the bar for self-driving tech, car makers must deliver

Seems like Nvidia in "clarifying some things" didn't mention that their AGX Pegasus requires 500 watts, and why Tesla made a point of saying during the Event that they kept their chip to under 100 watts (believe the presentation said 72 maybe). Electrek pointed this oversight out: NVIDIA disputes some of Tesla’s FSD computer claims, but they miss the main point Tesla has strived for efficiency in their cars from aerodynamics, battery, parts, heating/cooling, and their chips and really seems a head of what others can come up with.

Last edited:
You keep repeating this over and over, and the Tesla hating journalists keep repeating it - But i want to see where and when Elon Musk said there will a million Robo Taxis on the road by end of next year?
"From our standpoint, if you fast forward a year, maybe a year and three months, but next year for sure, we’ll have over a million robotaxis on the road,” Musk said.

How many cars are they making per week just at Fremont? Over 7000, right? In a year, that's around 360,000. With China's factory up and running at similar numbers, that's around 720,000 in a year. With the cars on the road now, by the end of 2020 they could have well over a million vehicles capable of being autonomous taxis... so the numbers he's pitching aren't that outlandish.

Reactions: preilly44