Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Autonomy Day is on Mon, April 22nd

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The biggest takeaway was the possible timeline.

End of 2019: FSD features are complete
April 2020: Will not need to pay attention
End of 2020: Hopeful Regulatory Approval (Starting with Semi Platoon's with a lead driver)
2021: New chip that is 3x better (Did not state and exact date but said a couple years out)

If you believe that I have a Full Self Driving car to sell you.

• Disagree
Reactions: damian.smith
For anyone looking for the link to the event you can watch it on YouTube.

BTW this YouTube video started mid-stream. I had walked away and came back to see it had already started. Did people see more at the beginning than what is shown here or was there a delay in getting the stream running and the presentations started before this? I was expecting everyone to have been introduced.

Last edited:
My takeaways were:

- Tesla IS going to get to FSD with computer vision. The capabilities are going to increase exponentially because of the size of the fleet. Specifically, the things that caught my attention:
- The way they can "trigger queries" from the fleet for images/video of any edge case they're interested in
- They remain interested in training the NN in the weirdest of situations a vehicle may encounter - this gives me confidence that the car will eventually be able to handle not just predictable roads but complex urban environments
- DOJO computer system which will automate neural net learning on a massive scale
- Shadow mode is very real. Every minute you drive your Tesla you're actively assisting neural net learning, whether AP is activated or not
- Timeline remains optimistic of course.

- Karpathy is Tesla's biggest asset - he must not be lost.

- Elon is still hand-waving/big picture on the Robotaxi thing and is underestimating the details (or just hasn't gotten to thinking about all of them yet), which will be very important for the program's success. It is no small feat to put together a ride-sharing platform and handle all the financial, logistical, and legal issues that will need to be addressed.

Like many of you it was over my head for a lot of it, but I still felt like I learned alot. Like someone brought up I too wondered how many of these investor reporters understood the presentations enough and were tech savvy enough to really write about it. Most I assume are there for the ride in the car on FSD.

I found the chip portion of the event interesting. Nice to hear from them that it's already going into new S&Xs and now Model 3s. Also factually interesting the chip is being manufacturered by Samsung in Austin, Tx. Not commented on but I'm hoping when I get my FSD board that the TeslaCam footage will improve too--still unclear what the issue is with the green screen and other corruption but owners have kind of ruled out the media used and Tesla SvC has said the cameras they've seen of owners reporting these issues are working fine. I was kind of unclear about when Elon commented about "since 2016... boards...and something about the cost of making a new car"...anyone catch where he was going with that? My husband has a AP2 car from 3/2017 and wondering if he'll be able to update at some point. I had a phone call around then so missed what he was saying. I want to rewatch that segment and actually the whole event again but will wait until after dinner when both my husband and I can watch it together. The event was much longer than I thought it would be -- ran something like 11:40am - 2:15pm. I was hoping to see some of the rides, likely the individual reporters filmed their rides and we'll see footage tonight.

BTW I thought Andrej did an excellent job of explaining a very complex subject. Instead of confusing I thought he made the subject very fascinating. And after listening to his segment I get why they are committed to doing this without lidar, a lot more learning required but they are getting the real world sample data base growing every day with all of us driving Teslas (with or without Autopilot used). If you think about it there are a lot of companies out there including manufacturers who are now pressed for getting some kind of FSD level out there in their vehicles or getting left behind, and they are all taking a lidar approach. As we all know not something that can be rushed. I still find it pretty mind boggling to be able to process all the info on a car's computer to do what it does now on Autopilot and some of the early FSD features. A few comments I found interesting from the audience were on the viability of the approach of relying more on simulator hours for learning compared to Tesla's real world road hours. And then the final question posed to Elon on "if an owner signs up for the robotaxi program who will be responsible for an accident caused by FSD?" He said the company. I know that has got to be a hot potato issue so waiting to hear from the press, legal teams and from manufacturers on that one.

Over all I thought it was worth sitting through and just wish I could have gone on a ride afterwards (or timidly watching from outside the car!, not sure I'm quite ready for it LOL). I'm not focused at all on the robotaxi aspect of it as I prefer to have a car and just get in and leave when I want, plus like driving at times especially in my Model 3. Don't believe I would ever "rent" out my car. Still interesting to see where Tesla ends up against Waymo and Uber etc.

Last edited:
Reactions: jrreno
So did they not actually show a car driving autonomously?

No, they didn't. They showed their new computer and what developments are being made on the software side. Then Elon described his idea of a robo-taxi service. Then there was a QA session (which in my opinion, Elon really struggled with). After that, the QA session was ended and he invited everyone to try out the beta-coded cars to experience the latest. But there was no footage of that.

I was hoping to see some of the rides, likely the individual reporters filmed their rides and we'll see footage tonight.

Have a feeling we might not get to see much. Since the crowd was investors and not media/YouTube influencers, I doubt many filmed, even if they were allowed to. Just a guess, but it's also possible they had to sign loose NDAs about disseminating information beyond their own investment-related purposes.

It was just an admission that they are years behind where they said they would be, and years behind the competition. The image recognition stuff they were so proud of is stuff that my phone has been able to do for years, e.g. recognizing animals and architectural features.

Where was the Full Self Driving? Where was the Tesla uber rental service?

This was just to lower expectations and try to appease buyers and investors who are slowly realizing that Tesla is years away from delivering anything remotely like what they promised.

Their argument is that at least most of the competition's progress is illusory, because their approaches are dependent on limited deployments of expensive and inflexible technologies, when ultimately they have to provide a low-cost, vision-dependent system that can handle enough edge cases to make it practical.

Tesla's showed their work on low-cost, low-power processing, and explained some of how they make use of their real-world, large-scale deployment of hardware. I think that was at least more informative than rumor.

We'll have to wait for any reports of the demos to see whether there's any signs of real progress from Tesla's approach.

Reactions: preilly44
While some people in the press said they thought this was scheduled to maybe boost the company since Q1 figures won't be good, I think people are forgetting today was Earth Day and what better day for Tesla, committed to improving our environment, to chose it as a day to present their progress in advancing FSD.

While some people in the press said they thought this was scheduled to maybe boost the company since Q1 figures won't be good, I think people are forgetting today was Earth Day and what better day for Tesla, committed to improving our environment, to chose it as a day to present their progress in advancing FSD.
Yeah.. but it was originally scheduled for last Friday...

F3AFB698-2660-46FF-836A-D03E25D38A70.jpeg

I watched a significant part of the presentation.

The presentation covered some of the things I learned from a presentation at the 2017 Cisco Live about computer learning. The speaker at Cisco Live also mentioned that this is what Tesla was doing. I knew then that Tesla would get far ahead of anybody else.

It boils down to that Tesla has a large amount of data from the entire with Auto-Pilot. Tesla fleet that will continue to drive computer learning. While other manufacturers try to use dedicated fleets, Lidar and other technologies. Tesla is using the cameras on it's vehicles to replicated how we drive a car, through vision. This coupled with the enormous data they have and the ability to call-up data from it's fleet as necessary is a huge advantage.

Of course all of this was made possible by the two-way communication that Tesla has with it's fleet.