Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Body Shop Ongoing Terrible Experience (Dallas)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My 2016 Model S 90D (AP2.0) had a damage at the front with an impact to another car on the May 22nd. I drove the car to the Tesla body shop in Dallas and upon looking at the damage they considered it a minor damage. After going through the insurance and initial estimates of 7K in damages. I was told I can have the car back on June 12th. I was quite relieved as I learnt the body repair shops wait times were ridiculous.

May 23th I get a message from Tesla that they have everything in house except for Homelink Module and Bracket and a Hood Latch. They estimated they dont have ETA on these parts but confident that they would have it completed by 12th June.

May 30th I get a message that Its going to take 2- 3months!!!! I am trying to get hold of the service center and ofcourse they are busy and cant get to the call. They drop me a text after 15 mins we will get back when we know more. This is quite frustrating.

Is getting parts for repair really that bad at Tesla ? Is there a norm at the Tesla body shops with such long delays ? What are some options for escalations on trying to push to get it sooner ? I would love to hear from anyone with recent experience

• Informative
Reactions: DCEV
This is really frustrating, when I was told it would take 2 weeks I was quite relieved considering I have been reading about longer body repairs. The other thing that’s frustrating is until the accident I didn’t have the have rental coverage on my insurance. A week or 2 is manageable without a car but 2-3 months is a nightmare...

Tesla makes great cars, but the company simply sucks. Customer service sucks, service experience sucks, parts are another level horrible. 2-3 months is inexcusable, it makes me incredibly mad to even think about it. This is absolute insanity.

The worst part is, there is almost nothing you can do at this point. Other than being really vocal about it. But not everyone has 500k youtube followers to make an impact...

Last edited:
I think the spare parts situation is totally amazing !
Think of it, with such useless logistics, Tesla managed to make a lot of cars! It is almost as if the spare parts are ishandked by an completely different company.

Reactions: TechOps
Go to your local TV station ask them to step in and help. Elon hates bad publicity, and in the Dallas area it will hurt.

Dallas is certainly growing. The number of Teslas I am seeing on the road is on the rise. They need to work on getting the service better. while contacting several body shops for my fix several of recommended 3rd party shops denied repairing Tesla and asked me to contact Tesla directly.

My 2016 Model S 90D (AP2.0) had a damage at the front with an impact to another car on the May 22nd. I drove the car to the Tesla body shop in Dallas and upon looking at the damage they considered it a minor damage. After going through the insurance and initial estimates of 7K in damages. I was told I can have the car back on June 12th. I was quite relieved as I learnt the body repair shops wait times were ridiculous.

May 23th I get a message from Tesla that they have everything in house except for Homelink Module and Bracket and a Hood Latch. They estimated they dont have ETA on these parts but confident that they would have it completed by 12th June.

May 30th I get a message that Its going to take 2- 3months!!!! I am trying to get hold of the service center and ofcourse they are busy and cant get to the call. They drop me a text after 15 mins we will get back when we know more. This is quite frustrating.

Is getting parts for repair really that bad at Tesla ? Is there a norm at the Tesla body shops with such long delays ? What are some options for escalations on trying to push to get it sooner ? I would love to hear from anyone with recent experience

Yes, unfortunately this has been the case for awhile!

Tesla was supposed to start doing body work in house, however it looks like they have not improved upon that.

I assume it could be because they are selling more vehicles now.

in my opinion, they shouldn't work on any more future projects (Model Y) until they can get all of the current problems fixed!

what is the shop name in Dallas?
I need to do minor repair

I have been hearing that the new deliveries of Model 3 have issues like dents, scratches etc that need minor body rework. I am speculating if all of resources and priority are going to address new deliveries as they have to honor due to their 7 day buy back policy.

Also, someone from the service centre mentioned that all of the spare parts that are ordered comes through road from factory with no priority or expedite...

I wonder if Model 3 have similar wait times. The issues with Model s is that all of the parts are custom built. I am told that model s requires special types of tools to unscrew/screw. Regardless 2-3 months has no excuse.

Reactions: Missile Toad
My 2014 Model S was in an accident February 5th, 2019. It is still in the shop - the latest estimate from yesterday was June 5th. We shall see... I missed it so much I went insane and bought another Tesla that I really can't afford...

Brent

Is your Tesla in a Tesla in house body shop or a 3rd party? The adjuster told me that rarely he had seen 3 months of delay at in-house body shops.

I think the spare parts situation is totally amazing !
Think of it, with such useless logistics, Tesla managed to make a lot of cars! It is almost as if the spare parts are ishandked by an completely different company.

Although it's off-topic from the OP, this point really deserves to be emphasized. As someone who's worked in tech for 25 years, and dealt with large-scale supply chains and the complexity of manufacturing, I see it as something of a miracle what Elon has been able to pull off. Namely, scaling up manufacturing of an amazing product while alienating senior management, having horrible internal company communications, abysmal supply chain logistics for parts, and lack of manufacturing expertise.

It didn't come without a cost.. the "hell" that Elon had to live through sleeping on the factory floor. But the fact that he's been able to scale the company without driving it into bankruptcy, when I sit back and think about it, is truly astounding. For this reason I'm still bullish on Tesla long-term.

Reactions: JunesongProvisn
I am not joking - it is at a Tesla approved body shop - New Image Paint & Body. I am going to call today to get an update. Supposedly they are waiting on a front apron part that has no expected date of delivery yet. Tomorrow will be four months of paying $1,100 per month without being able to drive the car. I think I am also still paying the insurance premiums... Thank goodness the registration is so cheap.

Brent

• Informative
Reactions: DCEV